Jul 23, 2003
FURPVILLE
First they actively recruited SCABs on AA/twu property:

scabs-02.jpg

The excuse:

sts-01.jpg

Now they are actively trying to secure scab maintenance: page 3 NWA

http://www.the-mechanic.com/pdf/twu-scab-union.pdf

From the twu sponsored pfaawatch...Read this scab wannabee response to the twu trying to do NWA work.

One of my points wwas there is no proof that TWU or anyone else right now has agreed to do the outsourcing. Talking is what the post said, just talking, just like AFA is talking to PFAA. It is obvious the already outsourced work is not coming back to AMFA. Someone has to do it. In the event that Northwest actually makes another deal with a company , would you not agree at least we can then count on Union Labor, rather than having the work outsourced to third world countries. I am neither for or against what has been said, just pointing out that there are times when unions do override other unions. Is the timing wrong for both issues, who can say, and that’s another of my points.

If the TWU is a SCAB union what does that make its members that pay the dues that support it? What is it like, for a union die-hard, to be led around, by the hand, by a bunch of SCABS?

No comments about post #3 AMFAMAN?

If the TWU is a SCAB union what does that make its members that pay the dues that support it? What is it like, for a union die-hard, to be led around, by the hand, by a bunch of SCABS?

No comments about post #3 AMFAMAN?
No, I'm not Neil, I work at AA, never saw your question. As to your second question about the dues, you have no choice or you will be fired so it says nothing about the character of the people or whether they support it. If AA was an open shop(no dues required), the twu would be broke. Now for your last question, never been led around anywhere.

An example of the type of leadership the TWU could be expected to provide...

At a recent meeting we had at our station a Company Official and the TWU Local President were on stage with a background of a superimposed TWU logo and AA logo on a screen and the Local President was telling us we had to cut the time we took on our checks.
Not only do we have to hear it from the company but we got to hear it from the guy who's supposed to fight for us. I believe the better course of action would have been to find out why the checks could not be produced any sooner rather than accusing us of being lazy. In most cases the reason our checks are not turned out sooner is because events we cannot control such as problems receiving parts or components. We've busted butt for the company. Our overtime in nonexistant, our holidays-off have been halved, our sick days off we now contribute to in cost, our vacation days reduced by 50% (managements was not). We have increased production enormously. In Tulsa we have accepted a challenge to reduce costs by $500,000,000 in the next two years on top of our cuts in pay (some as much as 40%) and benefits. What took 20, 30,40 years to negotiate we gave away in one concessionary contract under the TWU. On top of all this effort in order to "save" our company the Local Union President who hasn't turned a wrench in more than 10 years has the GALL to tell us to step it up. Many other TWU union officers who haven't worked the floor in up to 15 years are telling us to step it up too. In the mean time they go out and eat BBQ on our dime and take as much time as they wish to eat their meal. They do not have to scurry back to the base in order to badge through the fence in time. It is nothing for then to take an hour or two eating lunch. I got an idea to increase output put their lazy sorry asses on the floor and have them work for a change. The TWU thinks they are the company. For the life of me I don't understand why we need any managers when the TWU is around to crack the whip on the employees they are supposed to fight for.

If this kind of union leadership appeals to you then by all means fill out a card and vote in the TWU.

When AMFA was challenging the TWU at AA I distributed handouts at base. I had security called on me by TWU people and was harassed by security. The first time I wore an AMFA shirt I was told by TWU supporters I could not wear it or I would be fired.
When they couldn't have us fired myself and many of my buddies were put in bad standing by the TWU for wearing AMFA shirts, we proudly stood up for ourselves during the TWU Kangaroo Kourt process. We now wear our AMFA shirts any damn time we feel like it.

Finally after all the manipulation and scare tactics we received enough cards in order to have an election for union representation. The TWU, the company, and the NMB saw to it that the number of cards was diluted enough to say we came up 27 short. On the original list we found and had removed people who had been dead for years. The TWU cried that we had cheated in order to find this information out. Some of the people who remained on the list were people who had worked at TWA but not AA, people who's jobs had been outsourced years ago and didn't work for either company and people who serviced lav's-they were now considered part of the mechanics group. I'm sure the TWU proudly patted themselves on the back for their success in denying the workgroup its right to select the union of its choice.

If you want a union that has no problem telling you what you can and cannot wear, or can and cannot read, that has no problem forming your opinion for you, a union that feels that it must act in order to save you from yourself and a union that works to deny a right that belongs to you and your fellow workers then please....

Fill out a card and vote for the TWU

The TWU is very effective at pushing an agenda the problem is...

The agenda they push is not your agenda.

The agenda they push has everything do with with getting the TWU more money and power. Even if it is at your expense.

Checks do tend to get drug out especially when you get a bird in with large multiple gigs where A&P and sheetmetal guys have to work close together. Coordination at most places is very poor and when you throw poorly written inspection cards in there it really gets out of control. There is a big problem with multiple cards covering the same area so then you find yourself doing the same work twice and sometimes three times. That is an extreme waste of time and resources just because the planners can't get their act together. The most extreme scenario we once closed-up an entire empennage just to have to open the entire thing backup because a card hadn't been signed-off. You bust ass to do it the first time but the second time around you drag-ass because you are so pissed off at the ignorance. Another case 2nd shift spent 12 hours and four men installing a fwd galley and ceiling panels, at shift change I was sent up to install the cockpit door. I had to remove all the ceiling panels then the galley to install the door. The galley covered the fastener holes that held the doorframe in place. This type of incompetence in planning and coordination cost two days worth of work plus held up manpower that should have been on other jobs. Then management wants to know why the bird is behind schedule. I have never understood why management doesn't spend more time out on the floor. I filled out dozens of those cards you put in the suggestion box that went unanswered. I don't know why they even bother putting those things out. Parts and raw stock is another problem all its own. It’s bad enough when you run out of the basic stuff but to have to wait three or four hours for a part that is on the facility is absurd. These are problems that I have encountered at every facility I have been. Until these companies can find management that is capable of identifying these problems and effectively correct them they will continue to lose money at a staggering rate. As usual they can't identify the real problems because they are never on the floor to see what is going on so everything falls on the last guy in line, The Mechanic.

Latest posts