O M G !! Republican MARC RUBIO is "PRO - UNION " !!

Unions today are a business. They exist to make money for themselves with dues and management of pension funds. If they happen to help employees that would be a side benefit.
And if the GOP right to work effort is successful in putting these businesses out of business, then the next step is to start lobbying to change the overtime laws....maybe make it so everybody salaried and a "mandatory 50" hour workweek is implemented...imagine the savings in overtime that a company would realize. And they might even change up some of those silly workplace safety rules. And vacation and sick time are two weeks...period and if you don't use it, you lose it. Life will be so glorious...just like the turn of the 20th century. And we won't have to worry about after school daycare....maybe our 7 year old kids will be allowed to work.

And if the GOP right to work effort is successful in putting these businesses out of business, then the next step is to start lobbying to change the overtime laws....maybe make it so everybody salaried and a "mandatory 50" hour workweek is implemented...imagine the savings in overtime that a company would realize. And they might even change up some of those silly workplace safety rules. And vacation and sick time are two weeks...period and if you don't use it, you lose it. Life will be so glorious...just like the turn of the 20th century. And we won't have to worry about after school daycare....maybe our 7 year old kids will be allowed to work.
People, without help from the GOP, have been putting unions away for many years. Unions are their own worst enemies.
Intimidation and dem political support to belong?

Tonite, on History Channel.....the $15 an hour movement was shown the door.....check it out.

It is Friggin' amazing KCF, how, as crystal clear as that, that you've laid-out, is like a foreign language to certain people, who act like they're ' BRAIN DEAD ' !!

(Hint. They're Favorite color is R E D ) !

Helluva deal. The only problem is that back in the 70's, they were paid the equivalent of $25 an hour PLUS fully paid health insurance PLUS a pension. Today they get $20 an hour and have to pay $300 per month towards their insurance and fund their own 401K....and somehow they are convinced they are doing BETTER.
You act like everyone in the 70's was rolling in money.

https://www.census.gov/library/publications/1971/demo/p60-77.html#:~:text=In 1970, about 25.5 million,the Bureau of the Census.
13 percent
In 1970, about 25.5 million persons, or 13 percent of the population, were below the poverty level, according to the results of the Current Population Survey conducted in March 1971 by the Bureau of the Census.

I have converted minimum wage through the 70's to today's value based on a CPI calculator provided by the U.S. BUREAU OF LABOR STATISTICS.
https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

Feb 1968 $1.60
Feb 2021 $12.30

May 1974 $2.00
Feb 2021 $10.82

Jan 1975 $2.10
Feb 2021 $10.60

Jan 1976 $2.30
Feb 2021 $10.88

Jan 1978 $2.65
Feb 2021 $11.15

Jan 1979 $2.90
Feb 2021 $11.17

1968 was the highest value ever for minimum wage. If your intention is to keep pace there is no way minimum wage should be over $12.30/hr.

Explain to me how minimum wage today should be $15/hr given the claims made by Democrats they are simply trying to keep pace with inflation and historical evidence to the contrary.

Last edited:
People, without help from the GOP, have been putting unions away for many years. Unions are their own worst enemies.
Intimidation and dem political support to belong?

Tonite, on History Channel.....the $15 an hour movement was shown the door.....check it out.
Yep they sure have. But wait until the right to workers see their dream come true and theses shells of a business cease to exist.

You act like everyone in the 70's was rolling in money.

https://www.census.gov/library/publications/1971/demo/p60-77.html#:~:text=In 1970, about 25.5 million,the Bureau of the Census.
13 percent
In 1970, about 25.5 million persons, or 13 percent of the population, were below the poverty level, according to the results of the Current Population Survey conducted in March 1971 by the Bureau of the Census.

I have converted minimum wage through the 70's to today's value based on a CPI calculator provided by the U.S. BUREAU OF LABOR STATISTICS.
https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

Feb 1968 $1.60
Feb 2021 $12.30

May 1974 $2.00
Feb 2021 $10.82

Jan 1975 $2.10
Feb 2021 $10.60

Jan 1976 $2.30
Feb 2021 $10.88

Jan 1978 $2.65
Feb 2021 $11.15

Jan 1979 $2.90
Feb 2021 $11.17

1968 was the highest value ever for minimum wage. If your intention is to keep pace there is no way minimum wage should be over $12.30/hr.

Explain to me how minimum wage today should be $15/hr given the claims made by Democrats they are simply trying to keep pace with inflation and historical evidence to the contrary.
Here's another way of looking at it - not adjusted for inflation, the minimum wage has risen $4.35 over 40 years. It's been 7.25 for the past 12 years. Here's a fun site you can look at https://www.in2013dollars.com/us/inflation/2009?amount=7.25

Last edited:
I see a lot of maybe's and guesses in your reply. I say maybe not.

I see a lot of maybe's and guesses in your reply. I say maybe not.
Since we all became shareholders and shareholder value reins supreme, any company given the chance change the work rules to screw the employee will do so without hesitation. Companies didn't pay overtime out of the goodness of their hearts. And since labor is the single biggest cost - they would jump at the chance to get rid of those rules, once they have gotten rid of the reason the rules were in place.

Here's another way of looking at it - not adjusted for inflation, the minimum wage has risen $4.35 over 40 years. It's been 7.25 for the past 12 years. Here's a fun site you can look at https://www.in2013dollars.com/us/inflation/2009?amount=7.25
That article was an absolute waste of my time and provided no new relevant information.

Nobody is saying minimum wage should not be raised.

You have a valid point that it has not been raised for the last 12 years. We are in total agreement in that respect.

Where we disagree is the amount.

Again minimum wage had the most value in 1968. Adjusted for inflation that is $12.30 an hour. Raising it to 15 is not keeping pace with inflation. In fact it is 21.95% too high.

https://percentagecalculator.net/
upload_2021-3-29_13-32-46.png

So I ask you again, what makes you think that $15.00 an hour, 21.95% higher than it has ever been when adjusted for inflation, is appropriate?

I would 100% support raising minimum wage to $12.30 an hour, but no more.

Can we agree that given the data provided by the BLS that $12.30/hr is appropriate? After all that is a 69.65% increase in minimum wage.

https://percentagecalculator.net/
upload_2021-3-29_13-33-45.png

What difference does it make what you think is fair? You will neither earn nor pay minimum wage.
Worked for minimum wage several times in the work history of the legendary Delldude. Wasn't satisfied at that income level and was more inspired than to just 'get by'.
Too many are satisfied to just 'get by'.......look at all those who line up for SSID and play the process.......'Hey man, I got over'. Then look at all the politicians who line up to make it all possible.

Worked for minimum wage several times in the work history of the legendary Delldude. Wasn't satisfied at that income level and was more inspired than to just 'get by'.
Too many are satisfied to just 'get by'.......look at all those who line up for SSID and play the process.......'Hey man, I got over'. Then look at all the politicians who line up to make it all possible.