# Of F/a On Each A/c

ISP

Senior
Apr 3, 2003
Just saw the news report on AA # 117 that had an emergency landning in ORD when enroute JFK-LAX because of turbulance.

The news report said that 4 of the 9 flight attendents suffered some injuries.

It made me say to myself, "wow, AA has 9 F/A's on a 767 JFK-LAX?"

To the US employees, how many F/A's does us keep on their A/C now-a-days?

I really don't think we even have 9 F/A on trans-Atlantic 767 flights!

On a comparible US flight (JFK-LAX would be PHL/PIT/CLT-LAX), although the biggest equiptment would be a 321, I would guess we have no where near 9 F/A. Do we even have 5 F/A on this flight?

Can I get a run down of the # of F/A on each A/C please? I know there was quite an uproar when the 757's were reconfigured to add more seats, but they still remained under the 200 PAX threshold.

737--3
A319--3
A320--3
A321--4
757--4
767--6
A330--9

The formula is 50 pax=1 f/a. The only flights that are NOT staffed with FAA minimums are ETOPS operations to the Carribean and Europe. This is to serve as a precautionary measure in case of emergency(ie f/a gets sick in LGW and needs her appendix removed) so the company won't have to cancel a flight.

ISP -

733 - 3
734 - 3
319 - 3
320 - 3
321 - 4
757 - 4
767 - 5
767 international - 6
330 international - 9

Due to their contract with SAG, AA has to run three-class service from LAX-NYC. 6 FAs trying to provide AA's "Flagship" transcon service could not cover F and C/J on the transcon and manage to throw a few beverages at those in steerage with their Bistro Bags. You probably need at least 2 in F, and 2 in C/J just to get by. That leaves 2 for almost 200 in the back.

I suspect this last vestige of AA's "Flagship" transcon service is why they have 9 on this particular route.

gso2pit said:
737--3
A319--3
A320--3
A321--4
757--4
767--6
A330--9

The formula is 50 pax=1 f/a. The only flights that are NOT staffed with FAA minimums are ETOPS operations to the Carribean and Europe. This is to serve as a precautionary measure in case of emergency(ie f/a gets sick in LGW and needs her appendix removed) so the company won't have to cancel a flight.
Wrong. 767 only has to have 5. Get your numbers right. MMW was right. Where did you get your numbers GSO?????

to clarify, Art @ ISP and I are two different posters. We both use ISP as a home airport, but are not the same poster. Please make note.

And the company only added the extra F/A to Europe AFTER someone got sick and had to cancel the flight!.......duuuuuh :blink:
Then In-flight services got mad when a F/A was injured in the Caribbean on a layover and had to cancel the flight from Barbados. There is no room for error when you are in the Caribbean....if someone is injured, the flight cancels. I am hearing that Star Alliance is not very impressed or happy with our current staffing levels...esp on International.

Is there a business class on that 767? If so, how do you work that with only 5 flight attendants? :blink:

The 767 fleet has 24 "Envoy Class" :rolleyes: seats. On International I think 2 F/A's are assigned to Envoy on the 767. One works the galley and the other works both sides of the isle. When Wolf was here and our Envoy product was something to brag about, the 767 had 3 F/A's in the 767 Envoy cabin. The service was very smooth because it was "mirror image" the 2 F/A's went out and served both sides of the isle and the galley person was free to be doing what he/she is supposed to do...prepare the food.
When we take the 767 to say LAX, the 24 seats are worked by 1 F/A. They never staff it with more than 5 which in the FAA minimum. The coach class cabin has 2 full size carts that weigh about 500 pounds each. With 2 isles that means 2 beverage carts in coach. Takes 2 people to work a full cart so there are 4 in the coach class and 1 up front in 1st class. Talk about a drama flight. We are cut to the bare bones.

I received those numbers from one of the int'l supervisors in PIT, based on what would typically be used for int'l. I wasn't thinking along the lines of what would be on the 767 to LAX/SFO.

USAirBoyA330 said:
doing what he/she is supposed to do...prepare the food.
When we take the 767 to say LAX, the 24 seats are worked by 1 F/A. They never staff it with more than 5 which in the FAA minimum. The coach class cabin has 2 full size carts that weigh about 500 pounds each. With 2 isles that means 2 beverage carts in coach. Takes 2 people to work a full cart so there are 4 in the coach class and 1 up front in 1st class. Talk about a drama flight. We are cut to the bare bones.
Good grief! Are you saying that ONE flight attendant works First Class preparing and serving the food? No way! Whoever is doing that is a better man than I, Gunga Din. :shock:

Even after the staffing cuts by the company, AA continues to put a galley person in F/C with the Purser--even on the 767's that have only 9 F/C seats. Of course, most of the 767s have been converted to 2-class with 30 F/C and 0 Business Class seats. Then one or more of the coach f/as come forward and help with the F/C service after they finish their first beverage service. They then come back again later to help with tray pickup. It's the only way it can all get done--especially on a transcon flight with the deluxe dinners with separate salad, entree, and dessert service. At least that's the way it was before I was furloughed. With 9 f/as on a 767, I'm guessing the service procedures are still pretty much the same.

One would THINK that a supervisor, being International or Domestic would know the difference. Ah, well. ;)

jimntx said:
Good grief! Are you saying that ONE flight attendant works First Class preparing and serving the food? No way! Whoever is doing that is a better man than I, Gunga Din. :shock:

When I was still flying I worked a Bev Cart in Coach by myself so the "D" could stay up front and help the lead !!!

I recently saw someone else do this from CLT~ PHL !!!!!!!!

Not suppose to Colby.....
Didn't work very weel did it? That think weighs a a lot! I tried pulling it up the isle myself one time and it was hard. Don't ever hurt yourself for the likes of this company......they would have robots it they could.

Back