oil tops 75 yesterday

robbedagain

Veteran
Oct 13, 2003
Visit site
With oil topped out yesterday at 76.70 a barrel, and today hitting at around 80, how will this affect the new US and the other airlines, even with the hedging in place?

Where is our resident captain who said oil was overvalued and would be $35 a barrel?

How can he be wrong once again?

All the same naysayers after Katrina last summer are back again beating the "$100/barrel by the end of the summer" drum. What would THAT do to LCC's model? What would it do to the airlines currently in BK?

All the same naysayers after Katrina last summer are back again beating the "$100/barrel by the end of the summer" drum. What would THAT do to LCC's model? What would it do to the airlines currently in BK?

Exactly why hedging at least a portion of the future fuel is good idea...keeps costs from spiking so much and minimizes the upheaval involved. Keeping things a little more predictable enhances planning for the future. We are in a much better position than most.

CNBC reports oil closed today at $78 a barrel.

This is highly inflationary. Perhaps the feds won't raise rates, but the market is plumeting.

There is an anticipation on wall street that oil price per barrel will rise to $85 a barrel sooner rather than later if the crisis in the middle east does not come to some quick resolution.

On a personal level, folks need to stop spending and conserve their funds for necessities only. Quit the credit card charging, drive conservatively and only for necessities. Put off major purchases and remodeling that envolves leaning your house.

Its going to get ugly and for a long time.

I read where U has a strong cash position. But in light of the recent news of the escalation in the middle east with no end in sight, consolidation or any merger with USAirways or any airline is a pipe dream.

All companies need to conserve their cash position.

In my crystal ball, I see the consumer not taking a vacation this year, and slowing down their purchasing.

Most folks don't have the disposal income to afford $5 gallon fuel. I see them entertaining themselves at home with cable TV, DVDs, swimming pools at home, and entertaining at home with family and friends and neighbors etc...

Even B6 would be hard pressed to make a profit.

Wonder if NW or UA will be even more hard pressed for a merger?

Just when we thought we found a way to make a profit when oil is $65 a barrel things go FUBAR. :unsure:

CNBC reports oil closed today at $78 a barrel.

This is highly inflationary. Perhaps the feds won't raise rates, but the market is plumeting.

There is an anticipation on wall street that oil price per barrel will rise to $85 a barrel sooner rather than later if the crisis in the middle east does not come to some quick resolution.

On a personal level, folks need to stop spending and conserve their funds for necessities only. Quit the credit card charging, drive conservatively and only for necessities. Put off major purchases and remodeling that envolves leaning your house.

Its going to get ugly and for a long time.

Good advice. It's not just gas prices going up to fill your vehicle, but all the goods that require petroleum to get them delivered...all the good that require petroleum to be manufactured, etc. etc.

Maybe folks will FINALLY start getting rid of their unnecessary SUV's and HUGE trucks that get 13 MPG. Imagine if everyone just drove a sedan that got 20-25 MPG .... price of fuel would drop quickly since the demand would dry up.

Maybe folks will FINALLY start getting rid of their unnecessary SUV's and HUGE trucks that get 13 MPG. Imagine if everyone just drove a sedan that got 20-25 MPG .... price of fuel would drop quickly since the demand would dry up.

I have a truck that I need to pull my boat with. Otherwise I wouldn't have one and rarely use it to commute to work. Some "gas-guzzlers" are required for a life-style choice and not just to show-off muscle.

i saw today on cnbc that oil closed at 77.03 and the dow was down at like 106 and some odd change. wonder where usa320pilot is to give more info. I;d like to see BoeingBoy input as well.