Old USAir Routes to be served by Air Tran

javaboy

Senior
Dec 23, 2003
USAir used to serve these routes with the old 72 as i recall and out of DAY as well.
Press Release Source: AirTran Airways

AirTran Airways Announces New Service From Indianapolis to Los Angeles and San Francisco

As part of the new service to California, AirTran Airways will begin one daily nonstop flight between Indianapolis and Los Angeles on May 9, 2006, and will add an additional flight on June 20, 2006. The airline will begin one daily nonstop flight between Indianapolis and San Francisco on June 7, 2006. These flights will be served by the airline's popular all-new Boeing 737 aircraft.

Sounds like Airtran is taking a swing at NW (at least on the LAX route)....
Good luck to them. Frontier learned the hard way just how "old school" NW is when it comes to other airlines flying routes on their turf. ATA certainly came out of their fight with a couple of limbs missing. Stay tuned NW will probably fight back with some crazy move like HPN-MCO and CAK-BOS/LGA just to spite them.

Also, WN is dropping their single daily IND-LAX nonstop, I believe tomorrow (Feb 1).

I'm not a member of the "WN can do no wrong" club, but if WN doesn't think it warrants a nonstop, I doubt that the route warrants a nonstop. On the other hand, perhaps WN is just allocating the equipment to a higher-yielding route out of PIT or PHL or DEN. B)

Now how could PIT fill a nonstop to LAX daily? From what some "think" it is a dying airport. I bet you see WN doing that route 1x if not 2x daily in the future. Granted US had much more traffic comming through PIT back in the day but we had somewhere like five flights nonstop to LAX daily and they were mostly full, full full. If WN pulled a flight between a city pair it must not be that profitable. Hmmmm.

I'm not a member of the "WN can do no wrong" club, but if WN doesn't think it warrants a nonstop, I doubt that the route warrants a nonstop. On the other hand, perhaps WN is just allocating the equipment to a higher-yielding route out of PIT or PHL or DEN. B)

Actually, the new route that WN is starting on Feb 5, the day after IND-LAX ends (thanks FCY Travis for the date correction) is SAN-SAT.

IND-LAX has in recent years tended to have two carrier operating it: First TZ and WN, currently NW and WN, and soon FL and NW.

Latest posts