Oldest Commercial 757 To Be Scrapped-Help Save It!

Thanks so much for the photos and information. That must be a strange feeling flying an aircraft on its last flight before scrapping. Question though: How do the pilots who ferry an aircraft into GWO get back? Rental car?

2 Hr ground "limo" (Lexus SUV) ride to MEM then DH.

V

I know the sujbect of a legitimate replacement of the 757 has been discussed in various places, Here is something in which Boeing admits there still isnt a true 757 replacement, this says it's something they are aware of and may address at some point depending on what the airlines want..

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2010/...s-as-787-3.html

It's still sad to see those US's 75's end their service so soon.. :down:

If there's such a gap, why did Boeing stop making it!??! Shortsighted, if you ask me....

Probably had something to do with orders drying up with the 737NG covering up to it's seating capacity for domestic/shorter haul international and the 767-200 just above it with range for long-haul international. In the last 11 years it was offered it sold fewer airplanes than in it's two best years.

Jim

With numerous threads discussing the future of the Boeing 757 in various airline fleets, it should be noted that the oldest Boeing
757 in commercial airline service worldwide, N916UW, operated by US Airways, has seen the last of its flights and will soon be headed to the scrapper. Love or hate the company, US Airways has been known for its operation of the oldest line 757s in commercial service that originated with Eastern Air Lines in the early 1980s. N916UW, a 1982 Boeing 757-225 (line number 3), was nicknamed “Christineâ€￾ and renowned for its mechanical challenges. It was retired in January, following several weeks of substituting for other aircraft throughout US Airways’ domestic and Caribbean network. N916UW was ferried to Macon, Georgia, for processing prior to being sent to Greenwood, Mississippi, this month for almost immediate scrapping by The Memphis Group. Thus, we are about to lose another historic aircraft—one even used in certification of the Boeing 757 program. Yes, the interior was in need of makeover, and the aircraft clearly showed its age, but it is always sad to see an original airframe disappear.

I have been in contact with The Memphis Group (part of GECAS) about the aircraft’s fate and cost of acquisition, and have proposed forming a campaign in conjunction with the Carolinas Aviation Museum in Charlotte, North Carolina (US Airways’ largest hub), to acquire and preserve the aircraft. Recognizing that many of you love the Boeing 757, I would appreciate nothing more than for you to contact the Carolinas Aviation Museum and express your desire for the museum to preserve this particular aircraft. While there are many layers of approval that must be received prior to a commitment by any museum, your input would undoubtedly be valuable in conveying the significance of this aircraft.

Please visit http://www.carolinasaviation.org/ for museum contact information. Thank you!
from another poster on a differant board

Latest posts