Onboard the wild ride of Doug Parker

This is why, absent some help, US is going to die, eventually. Parker is a one trick (buying bankrupt airlines) pony.

When that runs it's course, and employees want to make the market rate (he actually says, again in that article "We can continue to operate with two separate labor forces if necessary.") the game is over. They have no operational acumen at all in Tempe.

These guys are more customer-unfriendly than the post-Wolf CCY crowd and can't operate a toaster. Not good.

Read the article and pay close attention to it.

This guy doesn't know how to run an airline. I'm tellin you he does not know how to run an airline. He doesn't get it.

LCC's got some very serious problems folks. And this guy is not going to solve them.

pilot

So here's what I got out of it.

* DP is not an operations guy. Rather he's into merging airlines and there will be another merger. "Our plan is to sit and wait for it."

* DP spends alot of times in bars, is distracted and trying not to fall asleep in meetings, pulls all-nighters and stays out instead of going to bed. In this one three page article, we have him drinking wine in first class, a margarita in New York, at at a bar in Charlotte.

* Admits that most of his time was spent on the DL merger, seems bored and let down to come back down to the reality of HP-US.

* US serves wine in plastic cups and its planes have duct tape all over them (LOL that they put that in there).

* Is happy with status quo and would rather keep the two operations labor-wise.

He actually seems like he'd be fun to hang out with, but I don't think it's a very flattering atricle...

Do you think the company is footing the bill for the good times. On top of Doug's already obscene compensation.

Hey let's party all night.

So here's what I got out of it.

* DP is not an operations guy. Rather he's into merging airlines and there will be another merger. "Our plan is to sit and wait for it."

* DP spends alot of times in bars, is distracted and trying not to fall asleep in meetings, pulls all-nighters and stays out instead of going to bed. In this one three page article, we have him drinking wine in first class, a margarita in New York, at at a bar in Charlotte.

* Admits that most of his time was spent on the DL merger, seems bored and let down to come back down to the reality of HP-US.

* US serves wine in plastic cups and its planes have duct tape all over them (LOL that they put that in there).

* Is happy with status quo and would rather keep the two operations labor-wise.

He actually seems like he'd be fun to hang out with, but I don't think it's a very flattering atricle...

Yes, that pretty much sums it up. :down:

Perhaps not flattering....but truthful!

Two things that really stuck out for me are these comments,

"The main driver of US Airways' success has been its low labor costs. If it's forced to pay the industry average, then their cost structure goes up $800 million, and there goes their profit."

So basically employee paycuts subsidized LCC's profits, and his handsome stock options. But that seems to be the status quo with airlines these days, not just LCC. Sad times we live in.

And i thought this comment was a little uncalled for, especially considering the company is supposed to be negotiating, in good faith one would hope, new labor agreements with its workforce.

"Parker believes he hasn't gotten close to that sweet spot. "We're doing better than any of the other network carriers by a nice margin. So we're fine with the status quo." And as for labor negotiations, he's rather blunt: "We can continue to operate with two separate labor forces if necessary."

Fine with the status quo??? Who is this guy fooling?

"Parker believes he hasn't gotten close to that sweet spot. "We're doing better than any of the other network carriers by a nice margin. So we're fine with the status quo." And as for labor negotiations, he's rather blunt: "We can continue to operate with two separate labor forces if necessary."

Fine with the status quo??? Who is this guy fooling?

It's all about making money - and as long as there is a profit why would things change? If the company pays the lowest wages in the industry and still makes a profit - why would they give employees a raise? Don't expect any changes until there are at least two quarters where the company loses money.

If they can cram people into the 330 for flights to europe - and people still do it - and they are charging the same fares as other airlines - then why wouldn't they? Doesn't mean I have to fly them - but many people still do.