Opening The Contracts

diogenes

Veteran
Aug 22, 2002
Keeing in mind agents have never been thru a regular contract renegotiation, I felt the following to be of interest.

During BK, management had labor up against the wall. They literally and readily could make "my way or the highway" stick.

It's a little different now that U is out of BK. Legally, the unions are under NO obligation to reopen contracts that become amendable in 2008. Legally, they could tell U, "see ya in 2008."

Management has the right to address their employees directly, as in the webcast. But I believe the webcast was also intended to convince employees that the upcoming unpleasantness is a continuation of the late unpleasantness, and that labor holds no cards. I also believe the webcast was intended to create an expectation of a vote. There probably will be one, but the company cannot mandate one.

Management can certainly part out or liquidate U. Do not kid yourself they cannot, or that the unions can prevent it.

My point is the unions have some leverage that was lacking in BK, and it is their duty to use it.

I am sure there are those in management who will be resistant to a changing corporate culture. The unions should assist Mr. Siegle in this matter.

Outstanding grievances should be expedited and resolved.

Matters such as these should be pre-conditions to a sit-down; not in exchange for concessions.

Employees should be assured a return on their sacrifices. Not profit-sharing - who trusts accountants these days? Not common stock - what happened to the last U stock you owned? Perhaps preferred stock, but I'll defer to the experts. At this stage, I do not believe this to be over-reaching. RSA controls U due to a $500 mil one-time investment. Employees are CURRENTLY making a $1 billion investment ANNUALLY. That investment is due proper respect and consideration.

Perhaps employees facing a hit of certain proportions could be grandfathered. NW grandfathered their agents during concessions some years ago.

I have no knowledge of if,when or what unions will hold discussions with management.

Honestly, if you can't trust stock or profit sharing, there is nothing that will ever really work.

we all ready got stock and are due more, we all ready have profit sharing and you have to make a profit to get it and RSA, did not invest $500 million, that was DIP financing.

US Airways also closed on exit facilities that provide the company with $1.24 billion in liquidity, including a $240 million equity investment from the Retirement Systems of Alabama Holdings LLC (RSA), and a $1 billion loan - $900 million of which is guaranteed by the Air Transportation Stabilization Board (ATSB). The remaining $100 million of at risk funds are provided by RSA ($75 million) and Bank of America N.A. ($25 million). All funds were received today. The company repaid RSA $372 million owed on the debtor-in-possession facility, and also paid RSA $9.4 million of administrative rent, and paid structuring, loan syndication, collateral agent, loan administration and professional fees and expenses totaling approximately $48 million.

Well put diogenes,

I don't know how people feel in other departments, but my problem lies in the frustration eminating from having the will to do what ever it takes to succeed contrasting with the first hand view of low level managers constantly making decisions in their own best interest rather than for the good of the company. Or even worse (and I am afraid this reaches to mid and upper level management) desicions are not being made at all for fear that they will be wrong. Our "franchise' is always a follower, never a leader due to the lack of creative thought or fear of expressing ideas by our management. As evidenced by Dave's webcast, first we were trying to follow the "legacy" carriers and now we have to follow the LCC's, yet the astounding thing is that our own highly valued, retention bonus earning management can't come up with an original thought, or if they have one it can not be expressed due to fear instilled by our ongoing disfunctional company "culture". These highly sought after, retaining bonus getting, management geniuses are famous for hiring consultants to do the job THAT THEY SHOULD BE DOING AND ARE WELL PAID TO DO. Dave is at the top of the pyramid, he asks his vp's what is happening, they ask the various directors and managers, and unfortunately in many cases they are being bs'ed by these people. We have witnessed blatant lying and misinformation that has and will cost the company quite a bit of money, but equally disturbing, it is compromising the loyalty of the employees that pull the airline through day after day, who are witnesses to mismanagement mixed with arogance and outright fraud. This is why the cry of "if they want more cuts, let it shut down" is heard. It is my firm belief and opinion that the troops and Dave are willing to strive for the same goal, however, our bloated middle management has successfuly blocked all of the neccessary communication between the leaders and the front line. We truly are fighting ourselves in this aspect. My apologies the the many lower management co-workers that are doing a great job, you are helping to pull the weight created by the drag of the non trusting management (because they know they can not be trusted and expect the same from everyone else) and thanks especialy to all my fellow co-workers in the trenches (even the 30k high trenches) I am proud to be associated with you all. Our workforce is top of the line, it would be hard to find anyone that would dispute that. I believe Dave S is trying to do the best he can but does not have the truth being presented to him by many of his management minions, and dosen't have the experience or ingenuity to figure out how to cut through the crap. It can be done but it will be extremely difficult. You can't just hire a consultant to tell you what it is wrong, you have to find an honest person, that knows the compnay who can listen to our greatest assests, our employees, to find out how to improve cost and quality. I have seen ideas submitted and denied only to be implemented later by the same people who denied them so they would get the credit. More importantly, the bloated management structure obstructs good communication, quick adaptation and implementation of ideas, and last but not least, creates an enormous morale problem that can only be helped by cleaning house in management. You could take kids fresh out of school and they would be ready to make decisions without fear, try innovations, listen to their experts (the people who have been working here 20 or 30 years), and truly help change the culture of this beast that we now call USAirways. Clean house Dave, listen to the troops and you have a good chance of starting to earn our respect. We will do whatever it takes, but we are tired of watching our sacrafices (now yours too!) going to sustain false mini empires with spurious purposes and embellished explanations of why they are so important to the company when in reality they are slowing us down, killing inovations and adaptability, and of course killing moral, while at the same time dragging your (Dave Siegle) name through the mud, even though you may truly be of the same mindset as those of us that have and will continue to do whatever it takes to get the job done. You could be on the cover of Businessweek as boy wonder, we could be proud of where we work and take satisfaction in a job well done, but the airline needs and ennema to flush out the excess management otherwise, bad or non-existent communication, stall tacticts and adversarial relationships will abound. We feel like a family, we belive in teamwork, how strange that management won't jump on the bandwagon. It is though the rank and file are trying to succeed and the management is holding us back.

I agree with most of what has been posted so far with the exception of the profit-sharing statement. Profit sharing worked well for us after the pay cuts of the early 90s. I also watched Dr Bronner embrace the concept at the meeting last month. In my opinion it would mean a reasonable payback for sacrifices made that isn't subject to the ups and downs of Wall Street...just our profit margin. Yes, it is possible to "cook the books" to a certain extent, but a look at the evening news will show some executives paying a high price for doing it.

I also agree that many of our problems are the product of misinformation coming from middle management. We have NO strong operations leadership. Somehow we've gotton off tract with regard to how we make money around here. We haul people in airplanes for money...everything else is a support function of that process. I mean the VP of Flight Ops reports to the VP of Customer Service now...talk about politics run amuck. It's no wonder that we make no headway in solving our operational problems. One flight through PHL is enough to ruin my otherwise wonderful day. If I have a problem, I simply fill out this form to send to the station manager. Talk about a JOKE. I've never gotten a responce from one or seen any changes resulting from one either. I was cleaning out my flight bag the other day and threw the few I had left away.

Bottom line: We need strong operations leadership NOW. If nobody is up to the task within our operation, then go out and find somebody while we still can. These problems will not fix themselves and I'm willing to bet most if not all of you reading these posts are frustrated by the lack of responce to your various concerns. THAT'S why Dave got the cool reception to the webcast. We are still bogged down by the failures of the past and nobody in management is doing a damn thing to change that. They are experts in telling us what we CAN'T do, but not one of them has the power, the authority or the will to institute change in our operation. We operate like different companies within a company. Change is subject to negotiation between the various facets of the organization. One VP tells another that there is a problem, the other tells him to take a hike...end of discussion. We need a strong leader with authority to get out in the trenches, identify the problems by watching and listening to the employees, and make REAL change in our operation. Until that's done, our sacrifices are wasted.

Whew! I feel better!

A320 Driver B)

wearethecompany said:
Well put diogenes,

I don't know how people feel in other departments, but my problem lies in the frustration eminating from having the will to do what ever it takes to succeed contrasting with the first hand view of low level managers constantly making decisions in their own best interest rather than for the good of the company. .
wow someone pops up with some vision into the daily grind at U.
so heres where the culture change is coming from...i thought it was soley aimed at labor.
someone sees the levels of CYA style management.....wow. :up:

No, they won't. Snapbacks perpetuate the problems of union contracts, namely that they inevitably lag the business conditions.

The last time snap-backs were negotiated a certain number of M&R employees had to wait an additional year to receive them due to the company's interpretation of the language. It was spelled out in plain english. Yet the company begged to differ and it had to be arbitrated as usual <_< .

Just as the pay parity scam was full of all sorts of formulas to determine the percentage of competition and pay. It should have been straight forward. Their rate plus 1%. But that would be too easy and honest....they would have a hard time manipulating a system like that. It had a perfect name.....pay PARODY!!

Cash in hand.....show me the money.......period!! Let the exec's keep the stock if it's so good anyway.

Why in the world does parity+1 make any sense for anyone? Maybe if US Airways were netting a 1% higher profit margin than the competition, but that's never happened.

mweiss,

" Why in the world does parity+1 make any sense for anyone? Maybe if US Airways were netting a 1% higher profit margin than the competition, but that's never happened."

It wasn't profit margin, it was cost. At the time (coming out of the early 90's downturn) we had the highest costs in the industry (imagine that!) but also the highest yield. Wolfe's plan to lower costs was the parity +1% which was supposed to bring our costs into line with our competitors - at that time the network carriers.

Jim

Parity is so 'yesterday', but I'll do a brief primer on it.

Assume pay rates of;

AA - $10
UA - $11
DL - $12
NW- $13

Parity for U would have been 11.50;parity plus 1 would have been 12.65.

Parity also lagged the comparison carriers by one year - parity was calculated on current rates in hand, not future ones.

They also weighted each comp carrier by how much it competed with U.

Totally useless information now; maybe enough Dickel will erase it! ;)

Latest posts