Opposition To Wn At Sea

luver41 said:
If your so concerned about taxpayer money, why don't you check and see how much the Port Authority of Seattle pisses away every year with four-star hotels, first class flights, unecessary terminal improvements, etc. The Port Authority brought this on, not Southwest.
[post="292865"][/post]​
Unnecessary improvements? They had to come up with a better system for security. Each concourse had it's own and if you were connecting you had to re-screen. Then there was the food issue. Food choices on the concourses were limited. No they did not have to go so extravagant, but a central restaraunt area inside sucurity was nessecary. The basic layout of SEA-TAC prior to the re-mod dated back to the 50's

What's wrong with Wn wanting to move to Boeing Field? It is a free market, and if BF can accomodate Wn then more power to them.

Airport cost are too high. It has to stop somewhere. Wn flying point to point would probably not get hurt changing airports facilities in Seatlle.

PHX-F/A said:
also, there is the third runway project. That will cost a heaping of money and the fee increase I'm sure are due partly to that.
[post="294660"][/post]​
To me it's a waste of money to build third runways at SEA and DFW when there is existing under-utilized capacity at BFI and DAL that could be used.

luver41 said:
To me it's a waste of money to build third runways at SEA and DFW when there is existing under-utilized capacity at BFI and DAL that could be used.
[post="294772"][/post]​

Both Sea Tac and DFW are underutilized. Why should we spend tax money to subsidize your business plan? Stay at Sea Tac and move to DFW and everyones problem is solved.

Human Freight said:
Both Sea Tac and DFW are underutilized. Why should we spend tax money to subsidize your business plan? Stay at Sea Tac and move to DFW and everyones problem is solved.
[post="294872"][/post]​
If they are both so under-utilized, why do they both need 3 runways? If the WA is lifted, it will stimulate growth at DFW when AA has to match WN's fares from DAL. Why should AA have federal legislation protecting its profit margin at its fortress hub.

I can't believe that so many free-market Republicans want to keep the Wright amendment in place.

It will fall. You can take Sen. Hutchinson's and Mayor Miller's comments as proof positive that they've seen the light on the road to Damascus.

luver41 said:
If they are both so under-utilized, why do they both need 3 runways? If the WA is lifted, it will stimulate growth at DFW when AA has to match WN's fares from DAL. Why should AA have federal legislation protecting its profit margin at its fortress hub.

I can't believe that so many free-market Republicans want to keep the Wright amendment in place.

It will fall. You can take Sen. Hutchinson's and Mayor Miller's comments as proof positive that they've seen the light on the road to Damascus.
[post="294880"][/post]​
AMEN!!! :blink:

Human Freight said:
Southwest does not want to compete with the rest of the airlines on an even playing field.
[post="292136"][/post]​

Of course not, look at DAL, LaMar Muse went to the Texas Aeronautical Commission to force them to reopen DAL*After* all parties had agreed to close Meecham as well as DAL with the ongoing construction of DFW.

They should have done @ DAL what DEN did with Stapleton...demolish it.

Whats next, ISP getting too crowded and they want to fly out of Floyd Bennet Field in Brooklyn?

"Who cares about disrupting traffic patterns at JFK, we're bringing low fares to NYC!" :blink:

I'm suprised they haven't left MHT for PSM in New Hampshire yet...

LGA Fleet Service said:
Of course not, look at DAL, LaMar Muse went to the Texas Aeronautical Commission to force them to reopen DAL*After* all parties had agreed to close Meecham as well as DAL with the ongoing construction of DFW.

Wrong. DAL never closed. The City of Dallas hadn't planned to close Love Field either -- it was to remain open for pretty much all uses aside from passenger service. The courts, not the Texas Aeronautical Commission, affirmed Southwest's right to use DAL as long as it remained open as an airport. If the City of Dallas had chosen to completely close Love Field, then Southwest would have been forced to move. The airlines which had moved to D/FW Regional had signed agreements to end all passenger service at DAL.

The City of Fort Worth never closed Meacham (FTW) either, nor did the bond agreements require that -- though they did require the city to close it to passenger service, as they required of Dallas and DAL. The problem is that the courts found that particular provision unenforceable. Fort Worth did close GSW since it was immediately adjacent to the D/FW site.

They should have done @ DAL what DEN did with Stapleton...demolish it.

Maybe yes, maybe no. Southwest's presence at DAL has brought jobs and significant tax revenues to the City of Dallas.

Whats next, ISP getting too crowded and they want to fly out of Floyd Bennet Field in Brooklyn?

The decision to try to move to BFI is based on out-of-control costs at SEA, not congestion.

I'm suprised they haven't left MHT for PSM in New Hampshire yet...

MHT's costs are well under control and the City of Manchester has been an excellent partner for Southwest. PSM is an undesirable facility for a large number of reasons, not the least of which being it is on the wrong side of the Hampton Tolls from metro Boston.

Human Freight said:
Stay at Sea Tac and move to DFW and everyones problem is solved.
[post="294872"][/post]​

A highly simplistic thought, wouldn't you say? :rolleyes:

sfb said:
Maybe yes, maybe no. Southwest's presence at DAL has brought jobs and significant tax revenues to the City of Dallas.

[post="295106"][/post]​

BS!

The Walmart stores in Dallas pay more in taxes and revenue to the City and County than Southwest does.

luver41 said:

[post="294880"][/post]​

luver and ramper,

Count the empty gates at DFW then tell us that the airport is not underutilized. I believe the third runway at Sea Tac is to improve airport operations in bad weather not for capacity.

Hutchinson only offered the carrot to WN to say she offered a compromise knowing that WN would refuse it. Miller is for sale to the highest bidder I would not pay too much attention to her. She will flop like a fish if the money is right.

Human Freight said:
Hutchinson only offered the carrot to WN to say she offered a compromise knowing that WN would refuse it.
[post="295669"][/post]​

This is exactly the same public relations ploy DFW used with their "free rent" offer. By attaching so many strings no one in their right mind would ever accept the offer. Yet, when no takers were found, the finger was pointed at Southwest as being the villian because they wanted to repeal the Wright Amendment! Gasp!

Facts only get in the way of the Dallas metroplex politics. This is all about DFW's ego and AA wanting to protect their ability to charge premium fares. It's business and I don't blame them. However, now that Spirit Airlines has announced their intention to serve DFW from FLL it will be harder for them to claim SWA's position on the Wright Amendment is the single act scaring off low fare competition.

Human Freight said:
BS!

The Walmart stores in Dallas pay more in taxes and revenue to the City and County than Southwest does.
[post="295667"][/post]​

Hey, HumanFreight --
RTF post. The comment you are responding to was that SWA brings significant tax revenue to Dallas. No where did they suggest that SWA is the largest payer of taxes in the district. I know, don't confuse you with the facts! :rolleyes:

Regardless, a $15 million annual corporate tax liability can fund a lot of bribes down at Dallas city hall! :shock:

corl737 said:
This is exactly the same public relations ploy DFW used with their "free rent" offer. By attaching so many strings no one in their right mind would ever accept the offer. Yet, when no takers were found, the finger was pointed at Southwest as being the villian because they wanted to repeal the Wright Amendment! Gasp!

Facts only get in the way of the Dallas metroplex politics. This is all about DFW's ego and AA wanting to protect their ability to charge premium fares. It's business and I don't blame them. However, now that Spirit Airlines has announced their intention to serve DFW from FLL it will be harder for them to claim SWA's position on the Wright Amendment is the single act scaring off low fare competition.
[post="295766"][/post]​

Funny thing is that the airport cannot tell any airline where it can or cannot fly from. Besides Southwest is the villian in this instance and all the harping about low fares will not change that.

Latest posts

Back