Delta pilots to strike?

actually, kil, you might want to refer to the US gov't study on the airlines. It said that bankrupt carriers do not bring down the rest of the industry nor is there any evidence that removing a carrier has resulted in any greater health to the rest of the industry. There is still way too much capacity in the industry - now and on order - for even one airline to fix the problems. It also correctly points out that there are huge incentives for many other companies to keep airlines flying. It is no surprise that GE is DL's best buddy right now and GE also is the primary investor in the industry and has the greatest risk if DL fails. Quite frankly, there is no place else GE can deploy DL's assets (including the world's largest fleet of 767s) and so GE will do what they and other creditors have done since 9/11 - prop up troubled airlines who will eventually figure out how to operate profitably - largely by reducing salaries of American workers. The strategy has worked for Wal-Mart; why shouldn't it work for airlines?

actually, kil, you might want to refer to the US gov't study on the airlines. It said that bankrupt carriers do not bring down the rest of the industry nor is there any evidence that removing a carrier has resulted in any greater health to the rest of the industry. There is still way too much capacity in the industry - now and on order - for even one airline to fix the problems. It also correctly points out that there are huge incentives for many other companies to keep airlines flying. It is no surprise that GE is DL's best buddy right now and GE also is the primary investor in the industry and has the greatest risk if DL fails. Quite frankly, there is no place else GE can deploy DL's assets (including the world's largest fleet of 767s) and so GE will do what they and other creditors have done since 9/11 - prop up troubled airlines who will eventually figure out how to operate profitably - largely by reducing salaries of American workers. The strategy has worked for Wal-Mart; why shouldn't it work for airlines?
Wow...why doesn't GE just cut out the middleman and start their own airline?

Delta Pilots choked the goose that lays golden eggs back in 2001 with the "United +1%" mantra. Now that the goose is sick and can't lay eggs,
there drumming up a "Our airline, our contract" mantra.

Wasn't it their airline when they were choking the goose back in 2001 as well? I guess not.

Anyhoo, I really hope the DL Pilots strike and put Delta out of business. It will just give us the perfect opportunity to swoop into ATL and own the entire eastern seaboard. :p :p

There is a difference between bankrupt carriers and shut down carriers.
Even though I agree the pilots will not strike and shut down the company,(and GE will do its best to keep the company afloat),if Delta shuts down, capacity will be greatly reduced.
He said shut down, not bunkrupt.

I'm wrong? On what point?

Do you actually believe Delta can survive a pilots' strike? That's all I'm saying.

That's the point. A pilots' strike would kill the company. Everyone knows this - including DALPA.

These aren't mechanics being asked to make $50k instead of $80k. These are guys making six figures being asked to make lower six figures. Hard to match that salary doing something else without significant experience.
======================================================================
===

"Dog",

Read my words MORE carefully !!

I said,

"It would be difficult to say that you are wrong"

MEANING that I AGREE with your original post !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NH/BB's

Hmmmm...considering I'm flying Delta the Saturday after Thanksgiving from San Juan, I figure they most likely will go ahead and strike.

======================================================================
==

KCFlyer,

"J",

You know that my very best wishes of "GOOD LUCK" are extended to you, and your's !!!

Hmmmm,

By-the-way, WHAT are your doing flying DL in/out of a American Hub ?????

"WELL" ???????????? :angry: :angry: :angry:

NH/BB's

Is DALPA really bluffing ??
Personally, I "THINK NOT" !!!!!!!!

Anyway,

I'm predicting that DL, WILL show up in court tomorrow, and WILL NOT "directly" ask the court to throw out DALPA's contract !!

IMHO, tomorrow will bring a "wink and a nod" by DL, suggesting to the judge, that a 30 day (type) "cooling off" period by ordered instead.
WHY ??

Because DL is SCARED #### that DALPA really means it !!!!!!!! :shock:

IF DL stride's into court 8-10 hours from now, and does ask directly for DALPA's contract to be thrown out, then I'll be back on this thread admitting I was wrong !!!!!!!!!

Everyone. Listen real close. Can't you hear the constant ringing of "GE's" phone, in DL's ATL office, wanting to talk to GERRY, to see if DL can "soften" (somewhat) their approach . :blink: :blink:

NH/BB's

Is DALPA really bluffing ??
Personally, I "THINK NOT" !!!!!!!!

Anyway,

I'm predicting that DL, WILL show up in court tomorrow, and WILL NOT "directly" ask the court to throw out DALPA's contract !!

IMHO, tomorrow will bring a "wink and a nod" by DL, suggesting to the judge, that a 30 day (type) "cooling off" period by ordered instead.
WHY ??

Because DL is SCARED #### that DALPA really means it !!!!!!!! :shock:

IF DL stride's into court 8-10 hours from now, and does ask directly for DALPA's contract to be thrown out, then I'll be back on this thread admitting I was wrong !!!!!!!!!

Everyone. Listen real close. Can't you hear the constant ringing of "GE's" phone, in DL's ATL office, wanting to talk to GERRY, to see if DL can "soften" (somewhat) their approach . :blink: :blink:

NH/BB's

I think this is a real possibility.

In an industry where the demand is as inelastic as the airlines (customers are not willing to pay even the same amount that they were willing to pay 25 years ago...non-inflation adjusted dollars) an adjustment to extremely high wages was bound to come sooner or later.

Just an FYI, the market could be described as close to perfectly elastic as it's possible to get. It's also not about what customers are willing to pay, it's about what airlines have the ability to charge. Customers are able to shop around for fares which means that all airlines have to have the lowest price, a dollar higher might mean the customer won't use that airline.

Just an FYI, the market could be described as close to perfectly elastic as it's possible to get. It's also not about what customers are willing to pay, it's about what airlines have the ability to charge. Customers are able to shop around for fares which means that all airlines have to have the lowest price, a dollar higher might mean the customer won't use that airline.

A new concept for those cheap a$$ passengers... :down:

Go Greyhound and leave the driving to us!!

Delta Pilots choked the goose that lays golden eggs back in 2001 with the "United +1%" mantra. Now that the goose is sick and can't lay eggs,
there drumming up a "Our airline, our contract" mantra.

Wasn't it their airline when they were choking the goose back in 2001 as well? I guess not.

Anyhoo, I really hope the DL Pilots strike and put Delta out of business. It will just give us the perfect opportunity to swoop into ATL and own the entire eastern seaboard. :p :p

Thanks for providing a perfect example of why I hate the scumbags at southwest airlines.

You folks at Delta hang in there. You've got a great product and I sincerely hope you make it.

Dave (ual pilot)

A new concept for those cheap a$$ passengers... :down:

Go Greyhound and leave the driving to us!!

You militant airline union types are a hoot! You think it's tough to run an airline when you have passengers? Try running one without us. :p

If the Delta pilots strike, they'll all be flipping burgers in a week. While the initial transition would be a pain in the arse, I'd be glad to go to Peachtree City and support them in their new careers. :up:

In the meantime, I hope and think that they are intelligent enough not to strike.

Sorry...I meant to say elastic...you are right. I would say "annoyingly" elastic in the sense that there is a greatly exponential shift in demand when the price changes minutely (as you mention). And even in times when carriers ALL charge a higher rate for a period of time, the overall bookings drop significantly b/c we have had 20+ years of pax believing that a $198 transcon is to be expected and anything more is ridiculous (I, myself, have a hard time swallowing the $298+ transcon roundtrips which really should be the rock-bottom offerred). But I constantly read from people not-in-the-know on these boards that the carriers have full control over what they can charge. They do not. Part of that is that the customers just will not go much higher and the majority is due to the fairly recent ultra-transparency that the internet has provided. The pricing system is not broken but the distribution system does need to be "tweaked" somewhat to give the carriers an edge. I get robbed everytime I buy my razor blades ($20 for 4 friggen blades) but if EVERY store was more or less forced to charge a lower rate of say...Costco, I would buy them more often and happily. Unfortunately, that would mean that they would no longer be making money.

Now...BOB...your posts are useless and idiotic. What is your point other than "I can't think outside of union"?

And Kil...the industry may need a "capacity adjustment" but not of the magnitude of DL. That would actually stress the industry rather than alleviate its woes. I also hope that something catastrophic happens at your workplace and you are jobless :rolleyes:

ALL charge a higher rate for a period of time, the overall bookings drop significantly b/c we have had 20+ years of pax believing that a $198 transcon is to be expected and anything more is ridiculous...

$198? Heck, early this year I did two $128 transcons just to make sure I hit silver again. :D

Efficiency and lower cost structure is the only way the legacy airlines are going to make it. The LCC's have trained us to only book when fares are rock-bottom, as you noted.

I doubt I'll ever see $128 transcons again, but the majority of us won't pay much more than $200 ($300 max) for one.

Latest posts

Back