Parkers Last Stand

May 9, 2004
I clearly understand why Parker is recklessly persuing a deal with DL. If NW and DL merge, which is seeming more likely with each passing day, LCC will be left off the merger map and will get its ass kicked due to its lack of a meaningful international route system.

The clock is ticking, and just when you thought LCC was basking in the glory of its new found profitability, in actuality, the sun may finally be setting on its last hopes of survial in the turbulent and consolidating post 9/11 airline industry.

Please tell me what indications make it "likely" that NW/DL merger is anything near a reality. There hasn't even been an offer made yet for Jimminy Crickets.

Parker is scared. He knows DAL/NWA makes more sense than DAL/LCC. UAL/CAL and AMR/ALK will follow if DAL/NWA approved. LCC will be odd man out and be crushed.

I assume you can read PHL?

Delta reported in talks with Northwest, United
Delta, nation's No. 3 airline, reportedly in discussions with rivals on possible combination as it tries to fend off hostile bid from US Airways.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/01/10/news/compa...sion=2007011016

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=2785141

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/4462650.html

Parker is scared. He knows DAL/NWA makes more sense than DAL/LCC. UAL/CAL and AMR/ALK will follow if DAL/NWA approved. LCC will be odd man out and be crushed.
I assume you can read PHL?

Delta reported in talks with Northwest, United
Delta, nation's No. 3 airline, reportedly in discussions with rivals on possible combination as it tries to fend off hostile bid from US Airways.

No offense to anyone, but until an offer is officially public and on the table, its really nothing more than rumor. While fun to talk about, they are only "what ifs" for now. Even if deemed credible, it doesn't always mean things will happen...just because its in the press does not mean its a done deal... and that goes for the US offer as well.. for example....

"Last week two of the weaker airlines decided that a merger may help them survive. TWA chairman Carl Icahn, who began pursuing a merger with Pan Am two months ago, finally persuaded the rival carrier to agree tentatively to a deal. Under the terms, TWA would acquire Pan Am for $375 million, or $2.50 per share in cash and securities. The merger, however, depends upon Icahn's ability to provide a bridge loan to help Pan Am cover losses during the low- traffic season after the holidays. One type of financing TWA is considering would require Pan Am, which lost $2 billion in the past decade, to file for reorganization in bankruptcy."

http://jcgi.pathfinder.com/time/magazine/a...,972061,00.html

The next 3 weeks certainly will be interesting, who knows what offers will appear from other carriers. But for right now, there are only the DL and US plans. I do not believe Doug is "scared", as I am sure he has options A, B, C, and D already lined up. Like most of US, I'm just hoping that he knows what he is doing - our careers depend on it.

I would suspect that the DOJ and congress will put a stop to all this merger mania.

The DEMS are in power now and will insist that all these mergers will result in huge layoffs and reduction in competition resulting in less choices for consumers and higher ticket prices. The only folks that will benefit from all these mergers are the stockholders. If the REPUBLICANS were in power it might happen, but no way with the DEMS in power IMHO.

I would suspect that the DOJ and congress will put a stop to all this merger mania.

The DEMS are in power now and will insist that all these mergers will result in huge layoffs and reduction in competition resulting in less choices for consumers and higher ticket prices. The only folks that will benefit from all these mergers are the stockholders. If the REPUBLICANS were in power it might happen, but no way with the DEMS in power IMHO.

The DOJ is part of the Executive branch, which is still Bush's.

Today the WSJ reported Gordon Bethune met with Delta executives late last week to review their standalone plan, and then with the Delta creditors committee at yesterday's meeting. People who have met with Mr. Bethune in recent days say he has indicted he thinks a Delta merger with US Airways makes sense and could win antitrust approval from U.S. regulators.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Don't forget the announced selling of the Delta Shuttle to appease the DOJ is just the beginning. DOJ approval can be had for the right price, which is divestiture of more assets. I think Parker's high-priced advisors have already run through those scenarios...

Parker is scared.

What does Parker have to be scared about? He wins no matter what happens! He has shaken the airline industry like no single person has done in decades. He will retain the "golden boy" status for years and years and he hasn't written a book as of yet.

Think about it, if you were a creditor and your monetary return appeared to be about 40 (or less) cents on the dollar and someone (Parker) has the financial backing to ramp that up to say 75 cents what would you do? Do you think the creditors have any loyality to Delta other than to make a good return on their investment? Money talks, plain and simple.

Scared, I don't think so!
Dumb as a fox most likely!

Time will sort it out for sure.

How unfortunate that you would point that out :D

That means the issue can't be Bush's Fault!!

That would then mean that in between soiling the garments of a young woman and gouging us with outrageous taxes some Democratic President must have actually done something?

How will some of you sleep knowing you can't blame Bush for everything.
Oh PA..LZZS..Get A Grip Man!!