mergers coming so.....

RowUnderDCA

Veteran
Oct 6, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Give it up. LCC should pursue a 'no plan B' strategy of consolidation with anybody that will have it.

Spin off the PHL operation to Air Whiskey to form Atlantica Airways. Maybe Atlantica can code share or combine with AirTran.

Merge the remaining LCC operations with anybody, including BOTH NW and CO.

Perhaps allocate the Boeing fleet to Atlantica plus Air Whiskey's ops and maybe Mesa.... whatever works. I suppose there'd need to be a few 67-300ers added in, or Atlantica could pare down its TATL ops until 67-200s can be replaced/expanded.

Atlantica can be set up to favor pilots bidding to it that are the most horribly impacted by Nic.

The remaining Nic list is then accepted by the remaining pilots of LCC

I guess LCC would then be totally Airbus, but LCC would not plan on being independent for long.

If DL/UA combine, then LCC would (with newly resolved labor problems) pursue a NW/CO/LCC combo.

But it could just as easily combine with AA.

If DL/NW merge, then still combine with CO and continue in Star Alliance with UA. If a LCC/CO/UA merge, then choose between DCA and IAD. Normally, I'd say choose IAD, but with both EWR and CLT for international ops, perhaps selecting DCA would be wiser.

Then Atlantica can deal with the disaster that is PHL and LCC can miraculously transfer its DNA to a future airline generation. Since that seems to be it's only forte from the old AAA days.

Ok, so this is purposely silly, but looking at LCC without PHL makes consolidation, that includes LCC much more plausible, IMO.

The presence of PHL and IAD and DCA is the main reason that I've thought that a UA/LCC combo speculation is really just code for liquidating LCC into UA +LCC's CLT, LGA and BOS.

Sorry but PHL is not going anywhere. Despite problems it is a high revenue producing hub. Actually a 1/3 of all the revenue US Airways makes come from philly.

Give it up. LCC should pursue a 'no plan B' strategy of consolidation with anybody that will have it.

Spin off the PHL operation to Air Whiskey to form Atlantica Airways. Maybe Atlantica can code share or combine with AirTran.

Perhaps allocate the Boeing fleet to Atlantica plus Air Whiskey's ops and maybe Mesa.... whatever works. I suppose there'd need to be a few 67-300ers added in, or Atlantica could pare down its TATL ops until 67-200s can be replaced/expanded.

Atlantica can be set up to favor pilots bidding to it that are the most horribly impacted by Nic.

I guess LCC would then be totally Airbus, but LCC would not plan on being independent for long.

If DL/UA combine, then LCC would (with newly resolved labor problems) pursue a NW/CO/LCC combo.

If DL/NW merge, then still combine with CO and continue in Star Alliance with UA. If a LCC/CO/UA merge, then choose between DCA and IAD. Normally, I'd say choose IAD, but with both EWR and CLT for international ops, perhaps selecting DCA would be wiser.

Then Atlantica can deal with the disaster that is PHL and LCC can miraculously transfer its DNA to a future airline generation. Since that seems to be it's only forte from the old AAA days.

Ok, so this is purposely silly, but looking at LCC without PHL makes consolidation, that includes LCC much more plausible, IMO.

The presence of PHL and IAD and DCA is the main reason that I've thought that a UA/LCC combo speculation is really just code for liquidating LCC into UA +LCC's CLT, LGA and BOS.

Have you checked the expiration date on your aspirin bottle recently?

That would be quite a trick - liquidating LCC. We have fragmentation rights. LOA 93 actually has a bright side.

On that note what would happen in a fregmentation? I only know about the F/A group so lets throw this out there. Decades of Scope/Frangmentaion on the East that states:

Section 1-2 East Contract : Partial Transactions

"In addition to all other protections under this Agreement, if,
within any twelve (12) month period while the Agreement remains in effect,
US Airways Group or the Company sells, transfers or disposes of assets
which, net of asset purchases or acquisitions during the same twelve (12)
month period, constitute twenty percent (20%) or more of the value of the
assets of the Company or US Airways Group (the closing of any such
transaction(s) which alone or in the aggregate satisfy the aforesaid
percentage being referred to as a “Triggering Eventâ€), then:

(1) In the event another air carrier (a “Transfereeâ€) purchases
or acquires any aircraft of the Company or US Airways Group as part of
any transaction that constitutes a Triggering Event, the Association shall
determine, in its sole discretion, whether or not flight attendants from the
US Airways System Seniority List (the “Transferring Flight Attendantsâ€)
shall transfer to the Transferee and which flight attendants shall transfer.
The number of Transferring Flight Attendants shall be determined by
calculating the average flight attendant staffing on a monthly basis over the
prior twelve (12) months attributable to the aircraft transferred to the
Transferee in connection with the Triggering Event; and

(2) The Company and US Airways Group shall require any
Transferee to employ the Transferring Flight Attendants, with the
integration of the Transferring Flight Attendants into the Transferee’s
seniority list to be governed by the Association Merger Policy if both pre40
transaction flight attendant groups are represented by the Association and
otherwise by Sections 3 and 13 of the Allegheny-Mohawk LPPs."

West F/A Agreement:D. SUCCESSORSHIP AND MERGERS

"This Agreement shall be binding upon any successor or assign of the Company unless and until changed in accordance with the provisions of the Railway Labor Act, as amended. For purposes of this paragraph, a successor or assign shall be defined as an entity (other than an air carrier or an entity which owns or is owned by an air carrier) which acquires all or substantially all of the assets or equity of the Company through a single transaction or multi-step related transactions which close within a twelve (12) month period.

In the event of a complete merger between the Company and another air carrier (i.e., the combination of all or substantially all the assets of the two carriers) where the surviving carrier decides to integrate the pre-merger operation, the following procedures will apply:
If the Company is the surviving carrier, the Company will integrate the two Flight Attendant groups in accordance with AFA Merger Policy if both groups are AFA-represented, and in accordance with Sections 3 and 13 of the Allegheny Mohawk LPP’s (Labor Protective Provisions) if Flight Attendants of the Company’s merger partner are not represented by AFA.
If the Company is not the surviving carrier, the Company will make reasonable efforts to have the surviving carrier integrate the two Flight Attendant groups in the same manner as stated in (a) of this Paragraph.
In the event the Company acquires all or substantially all of the assets or equity of another air carrier, or another air carrier acquires all or substantially all of the assets or equity of the Company, the Company will meet promptly with the Union to negotiate a possible "Fence Agreement" to be in effect during the period, if any, the two carriers are operated separately without integration of the Flight Attendant work force. These discussions shall not be pursuant to Section 6 of the Railway Labor Act, and reaching an agreement with the Union shall not be a prerequisite for closing, or any other aspect of the transaction or operations pursuant to the transaction."

Seems like much less portection for the West group.

Latest posts