Passengers in Action

Hopeful

Veteran
Dec 21, 2002
Passengers Restrain Man on Airline Flight 25 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES - An elderly man on an American Airlines flight was restrained by passengers, including television's "Dr. 90210," after he got out of his seat and shoved a flight attendant late Monday, officials said.

ADVERTISEMENT

The jetliner landed safely in Los Angeles and police took the 80-year-old man, who did not speak English, to a hospital for a 72-hour mental observation, airport spokeswoman Nancy Castles said.

"He evidently started to panic about 15 minutes before landing, when everyone is supposed to be buckled into seats," Castles said.

None of the five crew members or 122 passengers aboard the MD-80 plane from Austin, Texas, reported injuries, American Airlines spokesman Billy Sanez said.

The man hopped out of his seat in coach and marched into first class, Sanez said.

Dr. Robert Rey, a plastic surgeon who practices martial arts, told The Associated Press he got out of his seat and intervened when he heard the man make a "big noise" as he pushed a female flight attendant toward the cockpit.

"When you get a black belt, at that stage your brain just clicks into action," the doctor said. "I restrained this gentleman in a very aggressive way without hurting him."

Another passenger helped as the man kicked and screamed, Rey said. The doctor said he also checked the man's vital signs and determined he was not having a medical emergency.

The flight attendant "was shook up but not hurt," Rey said.

Flight crew members described the man as "very frail," Sanez said. He had been scheduled to board a connecting flight in Singapore after landing in Los Angeles.

Rey, who stars on the E! Network reality show "Dr. 90210" about a Beverly Hills plastic surgeon, was returning home after taping a segment for "The Insider."

Rey also appears as himself on a Carl's Jr. commercial in which he advises a chicken to undergo breast augmentation surgery.

Too bad there werent any Marshals on board, then they could have just shot the guy dead, right fellas?

Seems that the Doctor did a better job than the Marshals did. Good job, the plane landed safely and everyone, everyone on board, lived to see another day.

Ever since 9-11 passengers know that they cant allow anyone into the cockpit. They will no longer sit back. This is what keeps air travel safe.

Ever since 9-11 passengers know that they cant allow anyone into the cockpit.

Those cockpit doors are really tough. They just gotta be kept closed. It would take a trained demo man with Semtex or C4 to get in IF the crew keeps it closed. Have you seen El Al? They have an additional door that forms a vestibule that allows lav access. I believe it is a much more formidable barrier than a wheeled food cart.

Too bad there werent any Marshals on board, then they could have just shot the guy dead, right fellas?

Seems that the Doctor did a better job than the Marshals did. Good job, the plane landed safely and everyone, everyone on board, lived to see another day.

Ever since 9-11 passengers know that they cant allow anyone into the cockpit. They will no longer sit back. This is what keeps air travel safe.
Jeezs Bob what are you a one trick pony? The frail 72 year old man didn't run past marshalls yelling "bomb." He wasn't repeatedly warned to get down and stop, and he didn't make a threatening action to federal agents with guns drawn.

Those cockpit doors are really tough. They just gotta be kept closed. It would take a trained demo man with Semtex or C4 to get in IF the crew keeps it closed. Have you seen El Al? They have an additional door that forms a vestibule that allows lav access. I believe it is a much more formidable barrier than a wheeled food cart.

It would be a welcome thing in my eyes. We need tighter tougher security.

Personally I use my heaviest beverage cart and angle it provide the most distance to anyone who might try to move to me with the cockpit door open. Only one time had to use it. Worked well kept the person who tried for the cockpit 3 feet from me. Released the brake and rammed the person in to the first open seat. Cart not the best protection but used right can work very well.

It would be a welcome thing in my eyes. We need tighter tougher security.

Personally I use my heaviest beverage cart and angle it provide the most distance to anyone who might try to move to me with the cockpit door open. Only one time had to use it. Worked well kept the person who tried for the cockpit 3 feet from me. Released the brake and rammed the person in to the first open seat. Cart not the best protection but used right can work very well.

I'm glad it worked OK. Good for you. What was the person trying to do? I suspect a really serious attacker could get over or around the cart pretty easily, though.

Tell me, did you FAs work out the cart thing on your own, or did it come from above? I am amazed at the dollar cost of the door mods, and that they didn't do better than the food cart thing as the first line of defense.

Aren't all El Al's pilots ex military?!?!
As for the cart deal, they were going to have 500 lb bulletproof one with a telescoping deflector shield...but then where would we put those wonderful F/C snacks?? :up:

Aren't all El Al's pilots ex military?!?!

Perhaps. I will check my contact. However, the issue is not the capability or training of the pilot. I am not even sure about the advantage of an armed cockpit crew. I will go so far as to posit that only right-handed FOs and left-handed Captains should carry. :) The issue is cockpit security via door integrity. A terrorist or five can raise all manner of havoc in the cabin, but the plane will not hit a building if the cockpit remains inviolate.

Since I believe the door may only be opened by explosives, my own thoughts are that everyone needs to be sniffed for explosives and forget about nail clippers. I don't believe any hand device can get the door open. A terrorist who used a knife or nose hair clipper or even a handgun in the cabin would find only 80 virgin prison guards waiting for him on arrival.

The fortress food cart does sound like an improvement. Maybe one of our VPs can set up a company to manufacture them.

I'm glad it worked OK. Good for you. What was the person trying to do? I suspect a really serious attacker could get over or around the cart pretty easily, though.

Tell me, did you FAs work out the cart thing on your own, or did it come from above? I am amazed at the dollar cost of the door mods, and that they didn't do better than the food cart thing as the first line of defense.
The cart thing is from the line. Admittedly it is not impenetrable. It is an added obstacle. If it gives me one-second more in a situation, than that's one-second more to do something someone not using a cart can do.