Pax's Daughter Dies In Childbirth...

When I read Reservations Agent post, it reminded me of an incident at my ticket counter over two years ago. A woman and her teen age son approached the counter 20mins berfore dptr of our last PIT flight to purchase 2 one way tickets to EWR. She was extremely nervous standing there counting out her cash. I couldn't find her name
in the system and she explained her mother had just died and needed to get to EWR
immedialtely. She went on to say that when contacting U, the res agent told her " just
go out to the airport, there's plenty of room". In her grief, she didn't think twice about
paying for 2 ow tkts to EWR at the full Y rate, which I believe was about $550 each.
The look on her face and the way she was shaking was proof enough for me. I booked them both at an MRBRV fare( with an open return) saving them over 50% on each ticket. She was greatful for my help and gave me a "God Bless You" before
heading down to the gate. My point in telling this story is as follows. Why would any res agent NOT book the pnr but instead just tell the woman "do it at the airport". Is
there that much emphasis on "timers" that compassion and customer service just goes
ot the window? Are they that afraid of disciplinary action? If this is a result of the kind of pressure our res manangement puts on these agents, it's no wonder we're in the
shape we're in. :angry:

TomBascom said:
You guys who think your customers lie all the time need to chill out.
NOBODY said that ALL lie ALL the time!!! Please read before you start the flapping of the jaw. And furthermore, "we" are not the ones that screwed you, it is the powers that be in the palace.

Twicebaked said:
... "we" are not the ones that screwed you, it is the powers that be in the palace.
That, in large part, is exactly my point. When you buy into the "the customer is the enemy" attitude you are doing the dirty work for the inmates running the asylum.

By the way, some careful reading on your part is in order too -- I didn't get screwed. It was only "attempted screwing"...

My father passed away a few years ago, and my father-in-law a few weeks ago. Both times I flew USAirways on the next non-stop flight out to LGA and IAH and both times USAirways offered me reasonable ($340 to LGA, $500 to IAH) last minute fare as a bereavement fare. Several times I instead chose to use miles and had the $75 fee waived, which was fair to me -- USAirways is not a charity, but that is a good enough gesture for me.

I"m sure it"s possible some agent was very $#%#$% and told this guy to buzz off, but I do doubt it. One of the few reasons I still leave about 300k miles in my wife and my account on USAirways, for emergency purposes. (The other million is on AA, but unless I'm going to DFW it doesn't help in an emergency...)

1. If bereavement fares are easily had, everyone will have one every time they fly. It's human nature to try to get the best deal, and a little white lie like "I'm going to grandma's funeral" will stop very few from taking advantage.

2. As an employee of USAirways, I disagree with their non-industry standard fare structure. It should be changed to match the rest.

3. Anyone who loses a daughter and has as his first thought to call a radio talk show is either acting, an absolute moron, or just sick in the noggin.

4. I agree with the F/A's post regarding lap children. It's hazardous since the child will become a lethal projectile (to himself or others) in the event of an "unanticapted, abrupt stop." I don't care if mom has Swartzenegger's arms, she won't be able to hold the child in a bad accident. It's strictly a matter of physics.

5. That being said, if we MUST have Lap Child Rules, the rule should be based on the weight of the child, not his age. Every airport has a scale, and mom won't be able to argue that her 22 month old with the 5 o'clock shadow should ride for free if he weighs in at 125 lbs.

If this is true as posted it is really sad & likewise my heart goes out to this family. When I use to work in res years ago for another airline I heard them all.
I would think with proof we (or what ever airline) should honor their tickets.
It's just good customer service.

If this is true as posted ...
That's a really big IF. I'm amazed so many people have jumped all over USAirways' back without bothering to deal with those pesky facts that always screw things up.

JS said:
That's a really big IF. I'm amazed so many people have jumped all over USAirways' back without bothering to deal with those pesky facts that always screw things up.
Actually it doesn't really matter if it's true or not -- the story was told to a large audience (radio). The listeners will draw their own conclusions. US' current policies do not help them in that light.

Even if it is a completely made up story or if some other airline was actually at fault it is inevitable that a larger number of people than would otherwise assume that US' is at fault will have done so because US is the sole major airline that has a "use it or lose it" policy.

Tom, talk radio appeals to the masses. The masses do not keep track of each airline's fare rules.

Ask the typical talk radio listener outside of Pittsburgh what airline(s) fly non-stop from PIT to DEN, and the response is going to be something like "Hmm, I don't know, American?" A few people will answer "USAir" (or "US Airways" if you're extra lucky).

This isn't a slam against talk radio listeners (I'm one myself occasionally between noon and 3 PM), but the typical talk radio listener, which is basically the average American, has absolutely NO idea what fare rules are in the first place, much less which airline has what what kind of rules.

The world of USaviation and FlyerTalk is much, much smaller than you might think! :)

JS said:
Tom, talk radio appeals to the masses. The masses do not keep track of each airline's fare rules.

Ask the typical talk radio listener outside of Pittsburgh what airline(s) fly non-stop from PIT to DEN, and the response is going to be something like "Hmm, I don't know, American?" A few people will answer "USAir" (or "US Airways" if you're extra lucky).

This isn't a slam against talk radio listeners (I'm one myself occasionally between noon and 3 PM), but the typical talk radio listener, which is basically the average American, has absolutely NO idea what fare rules are in the first place, much less which airline has what what kind of rules.

The world of USaviation and FlyerTalk is much, much smaller than you might think! :)
I'll bet there's at least one. And that's one too many.

I have no wish to get into this specific situation, but as a comment, I would mention that a close relative of mine in Buffalo unexpectedly passed away last Spring. In that instance, I was told I could not have a bereavement fare, but as a US1, they would guarantee a seat for something around a thousand bucks (from PBI). I thanked them, and called Delta, who sold me one for 500 bucks (and upgraded me on all but the Comair leg, as a second tier Gold Medallion). I suspect they made something on that. At the very least, they made the effort.