Letters to U

----------------
On 8/29/2002 9:27:08 PM

The fact is in todays environment the buisness travler and companies are not paying a premium for their fares..

That's right. That's a fact. In fact it's a trend -- and it's picking up steam. You can adapt. Or live in a fantasy world where the "business traveler"
continues to exist in the same form that he did 10 or 20 years ago.

For the most part if you were what we call BUISNESS passenger you would be paying the higher fare and would not be affected by the new rules.

Spend some time examining your own fares and rules. You might be shocked at what you see. Or maybe you already knew that virtually all of your fares, except for the very highest few, are subject to these new rules.

Reflect also on what the mythical business traveler does in his spare time -- does he perhaps vacation with the family on discount fares? What is the impact of these changes on that experience?

The fact that your company or yourself made the decesion to cut cost and are trying to save, is unforunate for yourself

It's not at all unfortunate. It's smart business and it allows me to be successful. It's a lesson that US Airways should have applied to itself many years ago. To suggest that any other course of action is sensible shows just how out of touch the culture of the airline is. What's unfortunate is that US Airways -- an excellent airline with superb people and what looked like a bright future a couple of days ago and no need to do these things has choosen to fall on it's sword in this fashion.

... Pay full fare and youll get all that u say you have lost :)

No. You aren't a charity and I'm not in a donating mood. Your "full fare" does not have value commensurate to its price. It has been a long time since it did. You've known this for a long time. "Full fares" have been subsidizing grossly inefficient operations for years. The gravy train has come to an end.

This is a business relationship. I'm a customer. Listen to what I have to say about how you earn my business. If you don't want to fulfill that role that's fine, I'll be somewhere else. No hard feelings -- there are plenty of elsewhere's for me to choose and the transition is painless. I'm only bothering to tell you this and hang around to see how it turns out because we've had a long and fruitful relationship that I hope can be saved. I'm patient but not infinitely so.

These moves are a huge mistake. You could have gone after the real problem. You were perfectly positioned to do so. There is still a thin ray of hope that maybe that rabbit will yet be pulled out of the hat but it really looks like you have instead choosen to chase a fantasy.

It depends. It certainly isn't black and white. Ask nicely, politely, of the right person and your chances aren't bad. In some cases exchanges are routine policy. In others they are less formalized. Some are more customer-friendly than others.

The comparison breaks down in a myriad other ways too. Suppose, just to start, that she decides she can't go way ahead of time -- she can give the ticket to her sister or a friend. No questions, no problems, no change fee. She can also walk into the concert half way through in the flat tire example. There's a very extensive list of significant differences in a couple of the FT threads.

----------------
On 8/29/2002 10:07:47 PM

I have a question. If my daughter spends $150.00 on a concert ticket, and misses the concert because...
----------------

----------------
On 8/29/2002 9:29:37 PM

I meant to say Nordstoms i hate spellinf in a jam :)[:praise:]
----------------

Phew, something short to quote [;)]

At Nordstroms they have an interesting philosophy -- treat the customer who is buying a tie like one who is buying a suit.

----------------

I have a question. If my daughter spends $150.00 on a concert ticket, and misses the concert because she got a flat tire and had to wait for the tow truck, who is going to give her the money back or credit her towards the next concert??

By the way, it was a shock to me as well that concert tickets have reached the heights they have. $150.00 for a 2hr show is quite normal it seems for the teenage idol boy bands these days if you actually want to "see" them on stage.

What about the NBA ticket or hockey ticket at $40-100 a pop. If I miss the game, do I get credit for the next game? Will they play that game again tomorrow for me so I can try again?

Anyone see something similar here or did I just waste my time again?
----------------

Like I posted elsewhere this is a ridiculous analogy. First, if I am 10 minutes late for a 2 hour concert, I see an hour and 50 minute concert. I dont miss the whole thing. Second, if I miss the concert totally, Im not stuck in some city with no way to get home.

What I find really mindboggling is that the people from the company are telling the customers what they should think. Does that ever work? Check out the reaction to the new UAL rules on some boards. General reaction, "not what we would like to see, but hard times, they have to adjust". You arent seeing much of that to these changes at US Air. And so far, no one at UAL has told me Im not the kind of customer they arent interested in loyalty from. I doubt anyone from Continental would actually say that to me and I have literally flown 150 segments on US Air for everyone I have flown on Continental the last 6 or 8 years. Im hoping this will blow over and the contracts will get settled so I can keep flying US Air because in general I like the people there and I like the FF program. But if it doesnt, Im taking my 100+ segments a year to UAL, AA, CO or someone else that doesnt think Im bothering them.

Tom have you been to nordstroms lately ? Things are changing there as well ! [;)] [8)]

I have a question. If my daughter spends $150.00 on a concert ticket, and misses the concert because she got a flat tire and had to wait for the tow truck, who is going to give her the money back or credit her towards the next concert??

By the way, it was a shock to me as well that concert tickets have reached the heights they have. $150.00 for a 2hr show is quite normal it seems for the teenage idol boy bands these days if you actually want to "see" them on stage.

What about the NBA ticket or hockey ticket at $40-100 a pop. If I miss the game, do I get credit for the next game? Will they play that game again tomorrow for me so I can try again?

----------------
by N305AS

A customer's seat isn't subject to cancellation and reassignment (or resale to someone else) until within 10-40 minutes of departure (varies for domestic vs. international flights). This means a potential new customer couldn't buy a ticket for that no-show customer's seat until within this timeframe.
----------------

Hi N305AS--

Well that's my point. If the brilliant people in U management hadn't ended standby options for most of their passengers, and the flight was full, there would be a standby PAX already there at the gate just hoping somebody didn't show so he/she could get on that flight. But this new policy contributes to that scenario not being played out and an otherwise full flight leaving with one or more empty seats because the PAX not booked on that flight, who would now like to take it, is penalized and prohibited from standing by for it in hopes of getting on. It's a very common occurance. You can see it almost any day at the airport. The logic of the prohibition on standby's escapes me. Maybe that's because it's completely nonsensical.

Take care,

Marky

----------------

----------------

Except--

I can show up or send somebody and sell/transfer/renumerate somebody else with the concert or event ticket. I can't do that with an airline ticket. Not for security sake--the airlines don't want it to happen.

Nice try. Baldanza swung and missed with it already.

I think if you look at the posters (dejavu) you will notice a trend to those telling you to take a hike. Out of how many posters here have you heard that? Not how many POSTS they have made, but overall number of different posters here. Most of us realize whats important and thats someone is in the seat regardless of what your total $ was for the year.
Regarding the no standby rule. I wonder how much of this is to get people to fork out the $100 to get confirmed on the flight vs waiting around the airport? I know often people ask how it looks and if its got a couple of seats they say they'll take their chances, where now, if they want to get on no matter what, they'll be paying for it.

----------------
On 8/29/2002 9:27:08 PM

Tom, let me say that we do appreciate your buisness and those who pay 1/4 of the fare u pay as well ! The fact is in todays environment the buisness travler and companies are not paying a premium for their fares.. ALthough they can be somewhat higher you get to do certain things that a person paying a cheaper price doesnt ! In your case i assume your a preferred passennger( no pun intended there). For that ther is a higher price. sir you receive many more choices of non stop flights. Flexablity in your travel arranging.... Upgrades, free coupons, boarding priority, early service aboard the aircraft etc etc .. The very things your complaining about are the disadvantages and pain that our new rules are having on you. For the most part if you were what we call BUISNESS passenger you would be paying the higher fare and would not be affected by the new rules. The fact that your company or yourself made the decesion to cut cost and are trying to save, is unforunate for yourself and im sure you had your reasons. No body blames you there ! OUr company is reorganizing and although we have and will make mistakes, if you would like full service you have to pay full price just as if you went to norstoms and paid 150 dollars for a sweater or walmart if u decided to save some money ! By no means am i comparing us to norstroms because norstroms were not but even they are having problems! I agree we needed to adjust out pricing policy at the same time we announced these new rules and it wouldve made more since. But untill then please for our sake and yours ! Pay full fare and youll get all that u say you have lost :)
----------------

First, In my case, the fares arent somewhat higher, they are 6-8 times as high. I simply cant and wont pay that. Oh, no one will pay full price. AA and UAL have both at least said (who knows if this is true of course) that they arent doing this. If they dont, US Air cant possibly keep this up. If they all do make the changes, then flyers lose all loyalty and go on the best price/service on a given route. US Air will very seldom win on that from what I have seen. I fly US Air because of the elite FF program. That what makes it an attractive choice for me. Without that, I fly elsewhere except in those few cases that US Air will provide something better.

Second, I dont buy the same suit at Nordstrom that I get at Walmart and I dont get the same service.

Third, last time I checked, if it was the same item, I mean exactly the same item like certain pair of Levis or a certain Polo shirt, Nordstrom would charge exactly the same as anyone else. Not a dime more for their better service.

----------------
On 8/29/2002 11:20:45 PM

I think if you look at the posters (dejavu) you will notice a trend to those telling you to take a hike. Out of how many posters here have you heard that? Not how many POSTS they have made, but overall number of different posters here. Most of us realize whats important and thats someone is in the seat regardless of what your total $ was for the year.

I've noticed. It gives me hope. That they exist at all, and that Mr Baldanza is one of them really scares me.

Regarding the no standby rule. I wonder how much of this is to get people to fork out the $100 to get confirmed on the flight vs waiting around the airport? I know often people ask how it looks and if its got a couple of seats they say they'll take their chances, where now, if they want to get on no matter what, they'll be paying for it.

If it was that simple I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'd happily fork over $50 - $100 to get confirmed on a different same day flight that has available inventory. I'm sure though that there would still be people who would rather standby and take their chances than pay the fee -- and that should still be ok, there's nothing wrong with it.

There was a time not so long ago when it was that simple. And I did it fairly often. But it isn't that simple anymore. Now they also want to collect the fare difference to a walk up. It's nuts.

The bottom line here is that airline policy and especially our ff travler program got wayyyyy out of hand. Time and time again we have heard that the buisness travler as we have grown to know it has gone! They will no longer pay the higher fares.They made the choice to pay a lesser fare and one understands that. We certainly dont wont to lose anyones buisness but ill say it again. This company ie resturcturing and are bound to make mistakes. I think if and when a new fare structure is released ( which i think is forthcoming) some of these rules will make sense.Our preferred members i feel are spoiled and i mean that in a good way and have come to expect a level that they are use to . I still believe our airline delivers an outstanding product.There are even more changes coming so just sit back relax and enjoy the ride! AS employees you may see these guys snapping and yelling at each other but when attacked from the outside watch out :) Ironic HUh? [;)]

Hoy I did not personally attack you and i wont now. If your feel that way maybe you should experiment with other airlines to see what best fits your needs. In this environment you have a choice . Sounds like you have made yours and we regret that . Im not sure what airline youre talking about when you bash our on time performance etc since we are in the top tier of all the stats... as for our new rules, there were a few mistakes and i for one believe the biggest one was announcing it without a new fare structure. We as americans are so spoiled and this is yet another example. Ill admit it appears on the forefront it was aimed at loyal customers as you say you are. But after i hear u bash my airline i have to wonder. There was no arrogance to my post, only what i think , and you if you want arrogance maybe you should examine how you think? In the mean time compare our fares to others and if you feel they have better service, more flts, better employees, better preferred status, try them out.... I assure you we have a good competitive product and will earn it. As far as the new rules CHILL OUT well all get thru it!

Latest posts