Paying passenger roughed up and removed by the Police on an over sold flight

How do employees of United feel about what happened today.

Question for gate agent Supervisors. Does rule 25 in the contract of carriage (denied boarding) apply once a pax has already had his boarding pass scanned and has been seated?

I know the crew can ask for any pax to be removed for failure to follow instructions, but to make way for a deadheading crew...

I think the Aviation Police mishandled this as did the gate agents/crew. They could have maybe found other volunteers once the police were on-board? I know Monday morning QB is hard, but really?

United Contract of Carriage

See Rule 25

Not sure how this will end up but I assure you this man has already been contacted by several attorneys.
Glenn has a valid question here. Once boarded and seated you should be ok. The creed states "could be denied boarding" He was already boarded, this will get interesting indeed. Way too much force if you ask me. The officer (in plain clothes I might add) that thru him out of his seat, slamming his face into the seat across the isle causing injury to the man may be looking for another job. That $800 voucher that United was offering could very well turn into $800,000.00 when this is all said and done. Bad move United, bad move. I also put blame on the main officer in the video for causing harm and injury to the man being removed. There is a boycott mission started out there to avoid United when possible and this may cost United even larger in the long run. Passengers are sick and tired of how they are treated when flying. This will go viral for some time in my opinion. All of this to get 4 employees to another flight, wow, United will do anything to get crews onto a flight waiting for them, even assaulting a paying passenger to be removed to make room. I am sure United did not condone this behavior by the officers involved in the removal, but they are the ones overall responsible for the outcome as United was the ones that called for the security to come and remove said passenger at any cost. United may very well look at it's options to keep this story quiet in the future, however, it that passenger was me, and I was a Dr. I would run full course with it as he can afford to.

Not sure how this will end up but I assure you this man has already been contacted by several attorneys.
Glenn has a valid question here. Once boarded and seated you should be ok. The creed states "could be denied boarding" He was already boarded, this will get interesting indeed. Way too much force if you ask me. The officer (in plain clothes I might add) that thru him out of his seat, slamming his face into the seat across the isle causing injury to the man may be looking for another job. That $800 voucher that United was offering could very well turn into $800,000.00 when this is all said and done. Bad move United, bad move. I also put blame on the main officer in the video for causing harm and injury to the man being removed. There is a boycott mission started out there to avoid United when possible and this may cost United even larger in the long run. Passengers are sick and tired of how they are treated when flying. This will go viral for some time in my opinion. All of this to get 4 employees to another flight, wow, United will do anything to get crews onto a flight waiting for them, even assaulting a paying passenger to be removed to make room. I am sure United did not condone this behavior by the officers involved in the removal, but they are the ones overall responsible for the outcome as United was the ones that called for the security to come and remove said passenger at any cost. United may very well look at it's options to keep this story quiet in the future, however, it that passenger was me, and I was a Dr. I would run full course with it as he can afford to.

United is and always has been an abysmal airline with a lousy customer service culture. What the did last night is nothing short of criminal. It was a pure assault.

What they did was bring in thugs to keep from having a delay on another flight. This may set a precedence. Lets look at it this way. A customer walks into a sporting goods store to buy a basketball. He picks up the last ball in the store and goes to the register. He pays for the ball and as he's walking out an employee stops him and says that's the last ball in the store. We want it back so we can give it to an employee of the year as a gift. The customer says no this is my ball now. They call the police and he's roughed up. It's one thing if you haven't taken your seat yet while in the boarding area but it's another if your already sitting in it. This is going to be expensive for United.

At least one of the Chicago Department of Aviation officers has been suspended pending an investigation:

“The incident on United flight 3411 was not in accordance with our standard operating procedure and the actions of the aviation security officer are obviously not condoned,” aviation department spokeswoman Karen Pride said. “That officer has been placed on leave effective today pending a thorough review of the situation.”
http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/video-appears-to-show-passenger-being-removed-from-united-flight/

Another good article: http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-united-drags-passenger-0411-biz-20170410-story.html

This looks like one of those situations where everyone failed to behave professionally, including the passenger.

Good news for the doctor is that the aviation security officers are not armed. Could have turned out a lot worse for the doctor if the Chicago PD had been involved.

I've seen some great answers on another forum.

According to those in the know, Denied boarding is denied being able to stay in your seat for the flight.

Asking to leave the aircraft is part of that process. If the pax refuses, it then becomes a pax who refuses crew instructions, leading to an unruly pax.

United and the ORD Police failed here.

Nuff said.

PS: Just saw FWAAA Reaponse. Thank you. Good to see you here again. Seems that we have been away for a while. Hope all is well.

In the end, it would have been a less costly move for all involved to bump up to $1300 and seek volunteers.

Videos of the incident Sunday in Chicago went viral, drawing hundreds of millions of views around the world. Social media outrage rained down on the Chicago-based airline, prompting a public apology from Munoz. But in the letter, obtained by numerous media outlets, Munoz credited employees with following established procedures when the Louisville-bound flight was overbooked.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...lowed-procedures-flier-belligerent/100317166/

Denied Boarding situations can always be a crap shoot. Throw in an Invol. DB and you escalate it 100 times. I blame the gate agents for boarding all of the pax and putting people in a confined space to handle an awful situation. When the guy didn't want to go, up the ante and get someone to volunteer.

Seems ironic that Oscar Munoz is blaming the passenger. I'd wonder how he'd feel if someone came up to him right now and ask for his transplanted heart back?

Reactions: Glenn Quagmire
Denied Boarding situations can always be a crap shoot. Throw in an Invol. DB and you escalate it 100 times. I blame the gate agents for boarding all of the pax and putting people in a confined space to handle an awful situation. When the guy didn't want to go, up the ante and get someone to volunteer.

Seems ironic that Oscar Munoz is blaming the passenger. I'd wonder how he'd feel if someone came up to him right now and ask for his transplanted heart back?
I agree with you. Raise the ante until you get the volunteers required. What's wrong with $1200, $1500 or even $2000 or more? It would have cost a lot more if the flight crew did not make the flight they were going to. It would have equaled delays and refunds extending way above any individual offerings in vouchers. And let's remember here, the flight was not overbooked as United is trying to indicate. It was booked full yes, then 4 flight crew members showed up to dead head for a flight at the final destination. United screwed this up all around, but I also put blame on the TSA or whatever security dept was used to remove this man. Someone will more than likely pay dearly for this incident, the question is who will it be? I will put my money on the single security agent (the one with his back to the cameras) for using way too much force and causing bodily harm by assaulting him.

At least one of the Chicago Department of Aviation officers has been suspended pending an investigation:

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/video-appears-to-show-passenger-being-removed-from-united-flight/

Another good article: http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-united-drags-passenger-0411-biz-20170410-story.html

This looks like one of those situations where everyone failed to behave professionally, including the passenger.

Good news for the doctor is that the aviation security officers are not armed. Could have turned out a lot worse for the doctor if the Chicago PD had been involved.

In my view, the passenger had 0 capability here. I have flown over 2,500 times in my life and have never seen a passenger asked to get off a flight (other then myself once and I refused). Once I'm in the seat you ain't moving me. These dopes at United (and it has a culture of bad customer service) should have dealt with this before everyone got on the plane. What do they think? The only ones who have to get to work tomorrow are their employees. They should have put them on another flight/airline or driven them there. What they did (and the cops are no better) is assault that person.

I hear 2 of the employees put on the flight were pilots. I wonder why 1 of them was not put in the cockpit jumpseat?

Latest posts