Pdt Dash 8 Question

Art at ISP

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Dix Hills NY
www.ffocus.org
I have noticed that Piedmont Dash 8's are parked with the wing flaps extended to a takeoff setting-especially since PDT took over ALG (which did not do this).

Forgive me if I have asked before, but is there a reason for this? I know CRJ's park with flaps extended but I think that has more to do with protecting the engines from FOD while on the ground.

Just a curiosity--

my best to you all...

I don't know for sure, but I am guessing in their after landing checks they only retract the flaps to take off possition rather than all the way. Two reasons for doing this... reduces wear on the flap actuator and less chance you will forget to extend the flaps for takeoff. I can't see a reason for retracting the flaps all the way after landing only to have to extend them again for the next takeoff.

Art at ISP said:
I have noticed that Piedmont Dash 8's are parked with the wing flaps extended to a takeoff setting-especially since PDT took over ALG (which did not do this).

Forgive me if I have asked before, but is there a reason for this? I know CRJ's park with flaps extended but I think that has more to do with protecting the engines from FOD while on the ground.

Just a curiosity--

my best to you all...
i dont know if all crjs keep the flaps down but i do know that psa crjs had them up while they had ron at my station last month i dont know if it is the pilot's choice or a rule by the carrier or faa

i had asked one of our 'brothers' at pdt about that, and if memory serves, its so that the standby hydraulic pumps are active the majority of the time (when flap handle is out of 0 detent)

av8or,

Makes perfect sense to me--thanks for the info.

Regarding CRJ's I have seen some PSA CRJ's with the flaps up--mostly the others as well as DL's and others are in the mid flap position. It might be a company by company choice or a manufacturer recommendation.

Thanks for all the answers folks...

The CRJ 200's keep there flaps in the 20 (or 8) position on the ground because of an AD (airworthiness directive) that they must be checked by the pilots prior to departure for warping. This problem is been fixed in the new 200's so that is why PSA doesn't do it. Mesa, Comair, ASA and others have the new aircraft but to keep everything uniform we do it on all aircraft. Hope this helps. -Cape

ALG retracts the flaps to zero. They also turn off the STBY HYD pumps on the Parking checklist. PDT does not turn off the STBY pumps but rather the AC Gens (ALG does not). The advantage to leaving the flaps at 5 becomes apparant when the #1 engine is shut down taxiing to the gate. On an ALG flight, if the STBY pumps were forgotten on the before landing checks, once the #1 engine is shut down -- NO BRAKES! On a PDT plane, that wouldn't happen because the flaps at 5 automatically makes the STBY pumps operate.

Latest posts