Express related seating question. (PI' DASH-82 w/ 9 rows)

az_wild727

Senior
Sep 13, 2005
PHX
I'm going to be flying PHL-LGA in December and it's been so long since I've been on one of these. I fly Express very rarely (props even more so), but I'm lucky and excited I am going to be flying on one of these fun planes (Piedmont Dash 82 w/ 9 row config). Granted, I heard PHL-LGA cancels so often (especially in the winter time), I hope I will make it to NYC.

My question is seating related. I don't know how much I should listen to Seat Guru, but I'm wondering what's the best seat on the Dash 82? I see there are Exit Rows located at rows 1 & 4. 1A, 1C? Is that across from the flight attendant? Are seats in the Exit Row 4 spacious? Any seat with a good view?

Anyone can shed some info on how reliable the PHL-LGA hop really is? I'm excited though...

Thanks to everyone who helps out. Thank you.

-Kinglobjaw

When I used to fly US, I would take the Dash-8 all the time, because it was all they operated between PHL and ISP. US only has 2 types of Dash if memory serves correctly-Dash8-102's and Dash8-300's, which are the 50 seaters. I think all the -200's were disposed of a long time ago. In either case they would have the same seating configuration, as the only difference was in engine power therefore payload capability if I remember correctly.

I prefer to have a space for my briefcase under my feet so I would always take a window in row 4. There is a little more legroom in that row, but be aware that you're right under the wing, just aft of the propeller, so it could be noisy--also the emergency hatches do tend to be cold during flight-cold air leaks around the seals.

If you have nothing carried on or something small enough to go in the overhead, you might think row 1, but there is a small chance that there won't actually be a window there --although I might be mixing that up with a different type aircraft.

Hope this helps--and enjoy New York.

if you get a DASH-8-102, try the very last row--4 seats together but one has enuff leg room--hint the aisle--hehehe also the emergency exit in row one is sweet. the DASH-8-300 has 2X2 but if I remember correctly the first row is the best

if you get a DASH-8-102, try the very last row--4 seats together but one has enuff leg room--hint the aisle--hehehe also the emergency exit in row one is sweet. the DASH-8-300 has 2X2 but if I remember correctly the first row is the best
We used to have the DASH-300 Piedmont from AVP. The first row faces row two on the starboard side. You never knew this when you bought your tickets. It always showed 2 x 2 configuration. When you'd board, 1 DF faces 2 DF. It is a very strange takeoff and landing :)

My favorite seat on the Piedmont 100/200 is 1C, 1A is HIDEOUS, you have no legroom and you have a bulkhead which is in your face, but the seat next to it is directly across from the flight attendant with no bulkhead. Otherwise pick exit row, or the middle seat in the last row if you dont mind sitting next to other people.

In all honesty, in my opinion, the DASH is a far superior plane to ANY version of the Canadair RJ, and I'd take a DASH anytime over an RJ.

Trust me on this: take row 9c

Its the last row, with 5 seats across the back...C is in the aisle....all the legroom in the world, but, the Dash tends to wiggle a lot in turbulence, so expect more motion in the rear of the plane, but for comfort?

9C

Trust me on this: take row 9c

Its the last row, with 5 seats across the back...C is in the aisle....all the legroom in the world, but, the Dash tends to wiggle a lot in turbulence, so expect more motion in the rear of the plane, but for comfort?

9C
Actually, in reality, in severe turbulance, no seat is comfortable on the Dash :) And the back is exceptionally painful, but I agree, that seat is the best, and the second best being the one right across from the flight attendant in the front :)

Thanks to ALL of you for the help. Really appreciate it.

Right now, it's 1C vs an aisle in row 4 (I'm an aisle guy) and 9C sounds cool too. I love flying on props and the last PI Dash-8 was a June 2005 flight from DCA-PHL. I loved it. It's a bumpy ride but it's really great.

Sort of OT, but it's my first time to the city and I have a very short time and my Dad is making visit Zabar's and get him two baker's dozens of bagels. LOL! Zabar's will be the first thing after I land and apparently it's located in Upper West Manhattan. Will a taxi from LGA get me there quick/cheap? Is there a reasonable way using public transit (no more than 2 or 3 trains/busses?). Thank you.

-Kinglobjaw.

I prefer to sit in either row 7 or 8 of the dash-8-100's. I believe the aircraft is much quieter in the back than in rows 1 and 2 beside the right beside the prop.

Sort of OT, but it's my first time to the city and I have a very short time and my Dad is making visit Zabar's and get him two baker's dozens of bagels. LOL! Zabar's will be the first thing after I land and apparently it's located in Upper West Manhattan. Will a taxi from LGA get me there quick/cheap? Is there a reasonable way using public transit (no more than 2 or 3 trains/busses?). Thank you.

-Kinglobjaw.

If you don't mind a bus/subway transfer, I'd suggest taking the M60 bus out of LGA. It picks up on the lower level of the US terminal in LGA and take that to the Astoria/Ditmars exit and then hop on the N or W subway which can take you to mid/lower Manhattan. I'm not sure what street you are looking for in Manhattan, but I believe this cuts over at 57th and then heads for lower Manhattan, so you may have to make another subway transfer if you are looking for a higher street. If that's the case, it looks like you can transfer to the 1,2, or 3 at 42 St.

NYC Subway Map

This is what I took when I went to Mid-town Manhattan in the spring and it was pretty hassle free. It was only about $4 each way, compared to ~$30/way for a taxi. Had no problems bringing a rollerboard on the bus either, if you're concerned about that.

Hope this helps!

First thing it is a Dhc-8 102 i believe -82 are MD's
Also if you sit in 1C and the flight is not full that is the first seat i move, we don't need you playing footsie with the FA.
If w&b is not an issue you should try and sit in 1D. Also the route you are talking about does not cancel to much unless we have a MX issue.
Enjoy the Dash. :up:

Latest posts