Petition regarding TSA

For the same reason any of these traveling jerks get into a rage when something doesn't go their way on a flight. Surely you have heard of the countless issues of some idiot losing their cool inflight, and having to be restrained until landing. Please give me ONE, just ONE good reason why anyone needs ANY type of a knife onboard of a commercial aircraft?

If that's your standard for permitting passengers to carry on an item, then there are very few items that pass that test, no?

I carried a small pen knife with me everywhere I went for many years prior to September, 2001, including in my pocket on airplanes, without incident. Did I absolutely "need" access to that pen knife during the flight? Of course not. But then again, I didn't need access to my car keys either, since I was on an airplane.

IMO, the real idiocy was Norm Mineta's declaration in the hours that followed that horrible day when he announced the war on Sharp and Pointy Objects, as if they were the issue early in the morining on September 11, 2001. That lunacy was compounded on August 10, 2006 with the War on Liquids and Gels.

Business travelers on short trips tend to not check any bags. IMO, they shouldn't be told that their choices are to leave it home or check a bag, but that won't stop the FAs and others from claiming that the aisles will be rivers of blood if noncriminals are again allowed to carry small pen knives with them.

How many FAs or other passengers were ever sliced or wounded with small pen knives onboard airliners between, say, 1930 and September 10, 2001? My guess is that the number is very small. The lessons of that horrific day are not that "passengers cannot ever be trusted with small pen knives."

Our country just loves to get nailed. They allowed immigrants in with phoney credentials or none at all. US flying schools teaching foreigners to fly into buildings. Pyschos buying guns at gun shows. People manufacturing home made bombs at home using the Internet. Asleep at the switch TSA agents allowing bombs through check points.

Fidel Castro sleeps soundly at night..

If that's your standard for permitting passengers to carry on an item, then there are very few items that pass that test, no?

I carried a small pen knife with me everywhere I went for many years prior to September, 2001, including in my pocket on airplanes, without incident. Did I absolutely "need" access to that pen knife during the flight? Of course not. But then again, I didn't need access to my car keys either, since I was on an airplane.

IMO, the real idiocy was Norm Mineta's declaration in the hours that followed that horrible day when he announced the war on Sharp and Pointy Objects, as if they were the issue early in the morining on September 11, 2001. That lunacy was compounded on August 10, 2006 with the War on Liquids and Gels.

Business travelers on short trips tend to not check any bags. IMO, they shouldn't be told that their choices are to leave it home or check a bag, but that won't stop the FAs and others from claiming that the aisles will be rivers of blood if noncriminals are again allowed to carry small pen knives with them.

How many FAs or other passengers were ever sliced or wounded with small pen knives onboard airliners between, say, 1930 and September 10, 2001? My guess is that the number is very small. The lessons of that horrific day are not that "passengers cannot ever be trusted with small pen knives."
I agree with just about all of your points here. Sadly, 9/11 shed a lot of light on what could be done with certain objects that were permitted onboard. I also feel that with all of the information given out thru the media gives people ideas of what is possible. Too much information in certain cases is not good, and I see a lot given out to the public that can be detrimental. The recent flaws within the TSA at certain airports is a prime example. While all of these flaws need attention, I don't think that letting the entire world in on our weaknesses in security is a great idea.

No, but I am clearly stating that it still can injure passengers and F/A's. Are the pilots the only ones we care about here? We all know how many crazy bastards are out there anyway, so why put anything in their hands that can do any harm inflight to begin with?

Bluntly, the whole point of the post-9/11 security was supposed to prevent lunatics from bringing down an airplane, either as a guided missle or by blowing it up in mid-air.

Flight attendants don't want to hear this, but protecting lives in the cabin is secondary; getting the airplane on the ground, intact, has always been the first priority.

If someone wants to kill in the cabin, they're going manage to do so with whatever they have available.

A well placed pen can do more damage than a pocket knive. A garotte is virtually undetectable in a carry-on, and can be used just as effectively as the box cutters were on 9/11.

I'd be willing to bet SecureFlight (automated profiling) has probably done a far better job at deterring would-be terrorists from bothering with airlines again than anything the TSA is doing at the airport. They'll move on to softer targets.

Reactions: 1 person
If we are making rules, lets get to real legislation not somebody's feel good petition. Say every flight attendant needs to be able to lift 70 lbs over their head, something even a old broke down mechanic like me can. When the plane stops after over running the runway and fills with smoke I don't want to trip over flight attendants that have as much physical ability as my mother. I want young fit crew members that are an asset to the emergency, not compounding it. State Troopers or certainly military personal have physical conditioning standards right? Lets start making petitions and rules and other things to ensure the public's safety. It pry won't matter ultimately but everyone will feel better, and that's the name of that futile, expensive game.

Are you serious?

I guess you didnt see that the FAs on US 1549, werent young ladies, they were seasonsed professionals who helped save lives.

They crew members of US Airways Flight 1549 were:
  • Captain Chesley B. Sullenberger, III - Age 58, joined US Airways (PSA Airlines) in 1980. He has a total of 19,663 flights hours.
  • First officer Jeffrey B. Skiles - Age 49, joined US Airways (USAir) in 1986. He has a total of 15,643 flight hours.
  • Flight attendant, Shelia Dail - Age 57, joined US Airways (Piedmont Airlines) in 1980 and has more than 28 years experience with the airline.
  • Flight attendant, Doreen Welsh - Age 58, joined US Airways (Allegheny Airlines) in 1970 and has more than 38 years experience with the airline.
  • Flight attendant, Donna Dent - Age 51, joined US Airways (Piedmont Airlines) in 1982 and has more than 26 years experience with the airline.

Reactions: 1 person
Exactly. (Although according to passengers and the NTSB Ms.Welsh opened the back door.)
You are wrong, here is the exact report from the NTSB:

NTSB
Aircraft Accident Report

According to flight attendant B, after the impact, she went into the aft galley and assessed the conditions outside of door 2L, at which time, she realized the airplane was in the water. Door 2L was “cracked” open, but it was unclear by whom.

Subsequently, both flight attendant B and some of the passengers began redirecting passengers to move forward. Flight attendant B stated that she began improvising commands and told “young, able-bodied” passengers to climb
over the seats to get people away from the water

http://www.ntsb.gov/doclib/reports/2010/aar1003.pdf

I'd sign a petition to start profiling and leave handicapped little girls alone. All PC stuff has taken common sense out of screening. Liberals are too worried about hurting someone's feelings with the exception of....

Poor buckaroo, that was sad.
:(