PHL/LAX

I know at US we used to have 737-300's and 737-300LR which had an extra fuel tank (?) I believe. The LR planes did alot of transcons (SFO, SEA, LAX, etc...). I know the -300LR flew from PIT/CLT- West coast, but I am not sure about PHL/BWI. Just cannot remember......
PHL W/B 733's couldn't make it. The furtherest they went W/B from PHL was LAS and PHX. I know they had their red-eyes from SFO/LAX-PHL on the 733's, but that was only E/B's. I think BWI was 733 W/B, cause the evening W/B from BWI was the red-eye back to PHL.

Back in 1998 I flew on the PM flight PHL-SFO on a 757 and we needed a fuel stop in LAS. The AM flight stopped in MCI for fuel.

So I went to the Boeing website and it lists the range for the 737-700 as 3365 nm and the -800 as 3060 nm. (Airbus lists the 320 range as 3000 nm.) That means that the -700 should be able to do transcons without a fuel problem even in high winds. For the -800, it may depend on the route and the load in high winds.

As for flying transcon in a WN -700, I suspect that it is about as pleasant as doing it in a AA 757. Oh wait, there is more leg room on WN. Sorry, NH/BB, but it is AA with the inferior product here.

Just felt I needed to respond to the remarks about WN......recently Delta and American and Continental have been using this a/c and their service is substantially worse than WN.I as another poster noted, have never been snapped at by a WN F/A for asking for another drink or water.or more nuts/raisins,etc...WN's planes are newer, cleaner and roomier,mostly, and seatbacks are never broken.I'd rather use WN over any other transcon in the same class.A packed 757 is not so great either, for me.I have flown WN on 3 and 4 hour segments with ease, and I am a big guy.I have flown WN for years and never had the trouble some say you have . And how many,when a letter is written, gets a prompt response from the Chairman? I got one. What annoys me is the attitude of the UA, AA, and DL crews who act as if though they are demeaning themselves to serve you.Sure, Business or First is better, but that's not a fair comparison.

So I went to the Boeing website and it lists the range for the 737-700 as 3365 nm and the -800 as 3060 nm. (Airbus lists the 320 range as 3000 nm.) That means that the -700 should be able to do transcons without a fuel problem even in high winds. For the -800, it may depend on the route and the load in high winds.

As for flying transcon in a WN -700, I suspect that it is about as pleasant as doing it in a AA 757. Oh wait, there is more leg room on WN. Sorry, NH/BB, but it is AA with the inferior product here.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Yes techboy, your right. A 757 transcon would certainly be no bargain !1

As a (retired) non rev, should I ever need to get to LAX/SFO from BOS/NY(or reverse) If I could'nt get business/first on the NS, I'd get business/first, and break up the trip via dfw/ord .

ALL JFL/LAX trips(about 10 a day, are 767's, so even in coach you'd have an extra aisle to get up and "stretch" on, plus a 1/2 dozen more lavs.

But I realize that your speaking about the everyday passenger.

NH/BB's

PS,

Thanks to all who answered my "legit" 737 questions. !!

They are all valid questions. A 737 is not a do all aircraft. WN may think so, but a 737 is a putz in scheme of things..

We're not talking about your father's guppy here. The NG's are like the 'Classics' on steroids...faster, higher, longer, stronger. The -700 IS a do all aircraft for SWA. :up:

Only 700s are used for the transcon flights. 300s would have to get fuel E-W normally.

700s have somewhat better range than 320s. During unususally strong jet streams last winter, JB had multiple gas stops, not so for WN.

Last winter CO has 700's from EWR-LAX that stopped for gas as well. President's weekend last year had 200+ headwinds traveling West.

As for the US 300's, WB to LAX/SFO they left from CLT, PIT, CMH, IND and MCI. They also used 400's too. Every once in a while they'd sneak in a 400 from PHL WB.

PHL & BWI were 767/757 from the start.