PHL scheduling pulling some questionable acts this morning

This morning scheduling was really pulling some questionable acts in PHL while covering trips that were opening. They were letting trips sit open for a while before they were covering them and a few became quick calls before they were covered…

One trip in particular was 43019..this is the 2- day Aruba turn that overnights in CLT…this trip sat open for 1:10 before it was covered by a JR Reserve out of LTO order…I called scheduling on this, and the reason I was given is they were working on stuff as fast as they could…I would like them to try and show they had so much going on that they couldn’t cover this trip sooner and in LTO order! (It’s their contract also!)

Anyway, check screen 18 and see if you may be entitled to a claim for the time if you were skipped today by scheduling. I suggest that you put in a claim for the 16:56 the trip pays….I don’t have contacts for everyone on screen 18, so if you see someone’s name you can get in touch with please let them know I’m sure they can use the money…

Pairing 43019 Org. 30 November 2006
70 F/A’s skipped
Trip opened at 0845
Covered at 0955

I tried to call the AFA officers to get some feedback about how to handle this but no one is there today. O’ its there last day in office isn’t it?

I don't know how to tell if i'm skipped or not? Every time I ask scheduling how they cover trips, daily vs. quick calls, I never get a straight answer. I was on furlough for 3 yrs and just returned in June. This whole LTO system is new to me. Can anyone explain how to tell if you have been skipped and when scheduling should quick call vs. daily call?

Ok....Daily Call vs Quick Call:

Daily trip assignments are offered to blockholders waiting for a said trip on the bid sheet first. If no blockholder is waiting for the trip, crew scheduling will take the trip into the reserve book and process in LTO order to the first legal reserve flight attendant.

Quick call trips are trip that open within 2 hours of scheduled departure. If OPRs are on duty ,OPRs are offered the trips first. After that quick call trips will go to those whovolunteer for quick call. If no one is on the quick call list, crew sched will assign the trip to the most junior FA in base.

I don't know how to tell if i'm skipped or not? Every time I ask scheduling how they cover trips, daily vs. quick calls, I never get a straight answer. I was on furlough for 3 yrs and just returned in June. This whole LTO system is new to me. Can anyone explain how to tell if you have been skipped and when scheduling should quick call vs. daily call?
very detailed question & answer really with some "it depends" in there.
first if it's future and you are watching screen 18 then it'll show if those who are above you (less LTO) ROC'd or took a trip. You can only ROC for days off, vacation, training etc.. Secondly it will then show a number and those are the days they are on duty for. Ex: ROC 2
means the f/a remained on call and is available for 2 days.
Next, if a trip subsequently opens after future went past you then that trip will now go the the lowest(LTO) legal to fly the trip.
With Daily it depends if it's a quick call or not. 2 hours or less it goes to an OPR if they are on duty and available, then a senior reserve who made themselves available for a quick call, next comes the most Jr reserve on duty w/least amt of INV (off) days impacted, then the most Jr reserve on duty and finally when it's 2 hours or less and a "greater delay would be realized" then company can assign an OPR if one is scheduled to be on duty at the time of departure.
if it's not a quick call and just a plain ol daily call then the scheduler will just go down the list until its covered. Clear as mud right? :blink:
If you don't have a contract get one. Check out section 11.

When you are truly ready to read and learn your contract be sure to swing by your nearest law office to have it read to you. Some of it is absolutely insane and the examples sometimes given don't help. Scheduling does some shady stuff sometimes and they say they are following the rules. When I was on OPR as I stated a few posts before I watched these trips sit. Almost 3 hours. All of a sudden they are calling the OPR's. If the trip is 2 hours and OPR's are at the airport they MUST use the OPR's not offer. We had NO choice but to take them as it does read in the contract that way. What we kept asking scheduling was WHY are we being made to take these trips when they were open for hours. They were definately daily calls. At that point what do you do? Refuse to fly? Then what? It was a mess and every one of us were fuming.

WHY are we being made to take these trips when they were open for hours. They were definately daily calls. At that point what do you do? Refuse to fly? Then what? It was a mess and every one of us were fuming.
[/quote]

First of all ask the scheduler why it was not covered sooner esp. since you know what time it opened. Get that on the record, remember phone calls are recorded. Secondly I would NEVER advise a f/a to refuse to fly. Take the trip and contact your local union. If you can't get them try another base. But most importantly you have a MEC reserve chairperson Sherri B. who is working really hard but needs DOCUMENTATION! This is vital to have schedulers name, time etc...and again the recording will help verify that you asked these questions. As the Holidays approach this will be an important avenue for the reserves.

I had a similar situation happen to me while sitting OPR. A trip was open for almost two hours before they finally decided to call the reserves sitting OPR. They said they could not call and give it to a f/a if OPR f/a's were on duty. I have NEVER heard of such a thing. Andy at least you caught this. Different situations happen that many and I do mean MANY don't know their contract. Thanks for the info.

They do this on PHX ALL the time! Trips sit in open time that are over 3 hours (sometimes more/less) and they sit on it and give it to "hot" (or your OPR)

All i know, was that the OPR phone rang at 0930 and a few FAs on the extra section of OPR passed it to one of the junior guys. He accepted it way before 0955. He bolted out of the crew room to get to gate A26. Even after he accepted the trip, crew sched didnt put him on it till 0955. Must have been busy.
Thank you...also agree with your other post why would a RSV want a trip at month end??? Andy should take a job at crew skd to help them out...it took so long to cover if they all ROC or wanted to be REL...guess Andy's twisted he did not get the union job...

Andy should take a job at crew skd to help them out...it took so long to cover if they all ROC or wanted to be REL...guess Andy's twisted he did not get the union job...
Not at all! Brian will be great and I have already offered my help to him and the new officers of the local. Some people :down: , you don’t know me, if you did you wouldn’t make comments like that. My involvement is purely selfless. I was just letting folks know they may be entitled to a claim for the time. No trip should sit open for over an hour before its covered...another thing Scheduling cant just add OPRs as they wish, they have been adding two and three additional OPR's as daily calls and also adding additional OPR pairings out of their a$$ read section 11. They have to utilize the scheduled OPR’s before they can call out another (11.G.11) So anyone who sat on OPR as a "daily call" and missed a trip that went to another AVL daily f/a that they would have been able to hold is due that claim as well.

Well if adding additional OPR's is against the contract they sure don't seem to care. They just added an extra 4 OPR positions for today. Pairing 10493 9:30am to 1:15.

Well if adding additional OPR's is against the contract they sure don't seem to care. They just added an extra 4 OPR positions for today. Pairing 10493 9:30am to 1:15.
Just curious...why is adding additional OPRs against the contract? Wouldn't it be the same as systems adding necessary extra pairings (i.e. unpublished systems trips)? Is it stated in the contract that it's illegal to add OPRs?

I don't know why or if it is illegal or not. I honestly don't see why but if it is they are doing it anyway. Was just going by what I had read a few posts above. I'll have to get out my contract and read the section. I think it's around here somewhere. Oh yeah it's holding the corner of my bed up. :lol:

Just curious...why is adding additional OPRs against the contract? Wouldn't it be the same as systems adding necessary extra pairings (i.e. unpublished systems trips)? Is it stated in the contract that it's illegal to add OPRs?

http://www.afausairways.org/contract/index1.html

We allow the company to establish "past practice" by not enforcing our agreement or even knowing it...system irregularities due to unforeseen circumstances is much different…