Pilot cutbacks

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/14/2002 10:35:35 AM 767jetz wrote:

Now furlough by equipment? That's another story. It would NEVER happen. I think Tilton is too smart to not realize the fallout from furloughing out of seniority.
----------------
[/blockquote]

I think what we could very well see is a move to pay-to-seniority and a freeze in seat/fleet with a few exceptions. The savings in training costs would be very significant and wouldn't disrupt operations and leave hundreds idle following bumps awaiting training. Not a perfect solution but at this stage I'm sure they're looking to save every penny.

You can also bet there will be a huge change to vacation override. Add to that International Relief Pilots vs "Bunkies" and the complete elimination of the relief pilot on East Coast-Europe trips. A few other items that we'll probably see is the closure of a few domiciles/fleets (i.e. HNL 747, MIA 777, possibly SEA 777, etc.)

BIG CHANGES COMING! Be prepared for the worst...it may turn into reality. There's not too much time for hand-wringing. It's time to get the fat out of the system and insure we qualify for DIP financing. The big challenge is we must do all this and still remain motivated in order to keep our customers coming back. Tall order to be sure but it can and must be done or you may as well be prepared to fold your cards and exit the table. Game over!

We can do it. Teamwork, not bickering, at this point is a necessity for the next several months. It's a long way out the backside of the forest which we've just entered!

Cheers,
Z

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/14/2002 12:40:44 PM ZMAN777 wrote:

We can do it. Teamwork, not bickering, at this point is a necessity for the next several months. It's a long way out the backside of the forest which we've just entered!

Cheers,
Z

----------------
[/blockquote]

I agree, ZMAN. One thing I will say. As much as there is political bickering within ALPA at times, I trust that we will end up with the best deal we can get considering the circumstances. I'm sure we will be sacrificing, BIG TIME. However, I don't believe ALPA will give away anything that's not neccessary. When it's all said and done, I think we will be able to objectively look back and say, "yes this sucks, but it could have been much worse."

We all just have to accept that there will be big changes to life at United as we know it, and move forward.

What da ya think now bubba...tough enough yet ahahahahhaahahahaha

Yep, I get it gimbo ol' boy. Ground is coming up fast and my chute won't open. I just thought it humorous watching spacewaitress and some of these high flyers flapping their lips and flopping around these boards with "come on, lets take one for the gipper!!!" Now your "reality" as you say I'm in such denial of, has REALLY hit home. Where are they at now? I've seen it before, all yap until the first shot fired, then where'd they go? Small cog, self importance, etc, guess it's all moot now huh? Quit you say? Believe me, it sits on every thought, with every breath. But those SOB's are gonna have to hand me that slip, possibly pay me something, but I won't give them an easy way out. I intend to be a thorn in our "master" planners side the whole way down. I will honor my trade, work for what little check is received until that day, which I believe is not very far away for most of us in maintenance, and I too will deal with life as everyone else. BTW, other than being a little tired, my new associates seem to enjoy my company...they just can't seem to understand why I hang around the lazy U. I just tell them, old habits are hard to break

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/17/2002 2:05:58 AM The Ronin wrote:

What da ya think now bubba...tough enough yet ahahahahhaahahahaha
----------------
[/blockquote]

Ronin, Thanks for the intelligent, inciteful commentary from the trenches. Don't know you, don't know what you're really like but I gotta tell you, the tough guy, jaded, blue collar angst ridden downtrodden wiseman wiseguy schtick is getting a little old. If youy're like this in real life I can't imagine anyone actually enjoying your company. Hot tip, you aint wise just because you've been toiling with a wrench in the trenches. Wisdom comes from paying attention, keeping an open mind, questioning the assumptions of others, and then maybe, arriving at an independent thought ---versus regurgitating the same old, tired, woe is me, self-important, cynical, I don't have a solution but I sure have a problem attitude. Again, if you hate the job (and I understand if you do - you picked a career where you will never will have any meaningful control over the conditions or pay - you're simply a small cog in the big machine - reality) then get another one rather than spreading these negative vibes. The folks on the job over at Livermore likely won't find that attitude of yours to be much of an asset, rather the opposite. Just my humble opinion. Oh, BTW, as a pilot I expect to take a whopping pay cut and then a furlough (and then move on to the next job/career if necessary), but you know something, no one told me life was fair - I hope you're not laboring under such an illusion.
cheers, gimbalimit

Your life sounds so terribly miserable Ronin as evidenced by your lousy entitlement mentality and your o so unfair predicament. Grow up buddy.

And BTW, nothing happening with the company is a surprise to me, nor is it what I think of as unfair. It's simply reality ...deal with it and stop your whining.

They have laid you guys off by the thousands, going to cut your pay a heck of alot more than that ridiculas 3%, and you're sooo into reality and understanding...hmmm, me thinks someone else is buttering your bread my dear