Pilot Information Compromised

Ok, genius...

Ever heard of a flash drive? Once the data is out of the company's control, that is it...no telling who or where it goes to. Same exact arguement usapa made about AOL getting pilot info.
Nic, try to keep up.

In the AOL case it was alleged there was an intent to distribute pilot personal info..

In the laptop case you are arguing that there was an intent to destroy and hide allegedly incriminating info.

Intent to disclose vs. intent to hide... Try to show some integrity for a change. :lol:

The MAC addressed is assigned to a computer connecting to the ISP, but probably not logged by brand/serial #. Take your laptop to the local McDonalds that has WiFi and it will be assigned a different MAC address than when you use it on the internet at home since most ISP's use dynamic assignment of MAC addresses to conserve bandwidth. Heck, for most ISP's these days a WiFi modem/router is standard and it's the modem/router that is assigned the MAC address, not the individual computers. The router, in turn, assigns addresses to the individual computers connected to the LAN (your home wireless/wired network). So you could have 2 desktops, a laptop, an IPad, and an internet connected TV all connected to the internet through one MAC address as far as the ISP is concerned.

That's not to say that someone couldn't take the ISP's logs plus the header info from an email and track down a specific computer, especially if they had access to the suspect computer, but it wouldn't be as simple as you suggest and I suspect in most cases would require a court order to get the ISP's logs and the suspect computer. Of course, if the suspect computer has been "stolen" it becomes more difficult...

Jim
I think you mean "IP address" instead of "MAC address".

Nic, try to keep up.

In the AOL case it was alleged there was an intent to distribute pilot personal info..

In the laptop case you are arguing that there was an intent to destroy and hide allegedly incriminating info.

Intent to disclose vs. intent to hide... Try to show some integrity for a change. :lol:

The information should NOT have been on a unsecured Laptop. PERIOD. No matter what the intent was or who was doing what. This is just plain sloppy, if not criminal to have information compromised due to lax security protocols.

The information should NOT have been on a unsecured Laptop. PERIOD. No matter what the intent was or who was doing what. This is just plain sloppy, if not criminal to have information compromised due to lax security protocols.
No one knows that there was anything on that laptop other than his favorite restaurant menus and some pics of his butterfly collection. You are letting alarmists push your buttons as if your credit card is being used at Ruth Cris all across the country. A couple clowns can't get enough mileage from suggesting the laptop was destroyed intentionally, so then they try to say it was irresponsible on the order of the company and AOL. You're smarter than that Piney.

No one knows that there was anything on that laptop other than his favorite restaurant menus and some pics of his butterfly collection. You are letting alarmists push your buttons as if your credit card is being used at Ruth Cris all across the country. A couple clowns can't get enough mileage from suggesting the laptop was destroyed intentionally, so then they try to say it was irresponsible on the order of the company and AOL. You're smarter than that Piney.

I don't know what was on there. However if it was a USAPA owned device then nothing personal should have been on there. Especially anything that was remotely confidential. Also in most corporation there are strict security protocols AND audits so Aunt Millie's recipe for MN Hot Dish could get you fired.

Sorry but I;m a stickler for security and what I'm reading here is there wasn't any. There mere fact is was stolen suggests that this person should not be issued a replacement. Especially if he/she is an officer standing for election. You have a situation here where the mere appearance of impropriety is almost more damaging then any real wrong doing.

I don't know what was on there.
And I somehow doubt that anyone ever will, but of course with todays ubiquitous broadband, wifi, 3G, 4G, etc. no one has any need to have any data resident on their local storage. He may not have had anything other than applications on it.. Even so I suspect you might not be voting for him. :lol:

• Banned
And I somehow doubt that anyone ever will, but of course with todays ubiquitous broadband, wifi, 3G, 4G, etc. no one has any need to have any data resident on their local storage. He may not have had anything other than applications on it.. Even so I suspect you might not be voting for him. :lol:
You think those tech illiterates in that office use the cloud?

Please.

Ask them what a MAC address is.

How is it any less irresponsible of the company to give inappropriate pilot info to usapa, than it was for the company to leak info to AOL?

The fact of the matter is, in both cases, the company was wrong.

There is absolutely no reason usapa should be in possesion of my social security number. I did not give it to them, and I did not give the company permission to give it to them.

The idea that my info may have been on a usapa laptop, used to commit a crime, that then goes missing (another seperate crime), is another topic altogether.

So, the "mileage" I am getting out of this is twofold. One, that the company has a dual standard of treatment for east vs West, and two, that usapa seems to be nothing more than a criminal organization.

Maybe instead of DFRII, the West should file RICO II. After all, damages are treble.

You make the game too easy to be fun, Phoenix. It's like shooting fish in a barrel.

If a claim of intent is all that's necessary, let me be the first to claim that Mowrey had the intent to use the west's name/address/SS#/passport# for personal profit by selling it to unscrupulous characters who could use it for identity theft. I can further charge that he still has that info, copied to a USB memory stick.

So, according to your logic Mowrey is a thief who stole the west's personal/privileged information for personal gain and/or to inflict damage on certain west individuals. Further, if one wanted to and following your logic, all it takes is a charge that another east pilot - say someone whose screen name starts with "P" - was a co-conspirator because he "knew someone who knows someone" with the contacts who would pay a lot of money for 1700 (+/-) names/addresses/SS#s/passport#.

So seems like there could be several identity thieves among the easties - following your logic, of course... :lol:

Jim

How is it any less irresponsible of the company to give inappropriate pilot info to usapa, than it was for the company to leak info to AOL?.
if you want to complain about the company then you might lose some of your west friends.

News Flash....... Two retired pilots now confirm that the Pope is concerned that confidential Vatican secrets have been compromised when a CLT based pilot had his USAPA lap
top allegedly stolen. One, a former Air Force One pilot also claims the White House has concerns that some of its secretive meetings with the Pontiff may be among the compromised files. Three current USAir pilots from LAS are promising more details soon.

Prove that information was on his laptop first, then a few might actually start believing your BS.

Prove that it wasn't!

Fact is whatever was on there was not secured. Whether is was Sparrowhawk's favorite recipe for Dutch Pancakes or something far more important, the security protocols where either non existent or ignored. The third possibility is someone with less than pure motives put said laptop in a position where theft was inevitable to further an agenda OR destroyed it themselves.

Back