Pilot Pension Progress?

C

chipmunn

MEC CODE-A-PHONE UPDATE - January 23, 2003
This is Roy Freundlich with a US Airways MEC update for Thursday, January 23.
Last evening, U.S. Sen. Arlen Specter introduced an amendment to the H. J. Res. 2, the FY 2003 Omnibus Appropriations Bill, which sought to clarify the PBGC’s authority to grant the restoration-funding plan for US Airways pension funding obligations. The amendment was defeated 64-31.
This restoration funding legislation is still active in the Senate Finance Committee for normal legislative processing. ALPA appreciates Senator Specter’s and other legislatures’ continued support and efforts.
After discussing yesterday’s senate action with ALPA’s Legislative Affairs representatives this morning, ALPA recognizes that a legislative solution remains an uphill battle in the short term, but remains a very practical solution over a longer term.
Chip comments: Today saw a couple of positive developments that may provide a solution to the dispute between US Airways and ALPA over the pilot pension issue.
First, there is some positive movement on Capital Hill to fix the nationwide/airline industry pension problem where US Airways' pilots could be grandfathered under any future legislation.
Second, it's my understanding the company delivered its Plan B retirement solution to ALPA. There is disagreement between the parties as to the valuation of the proposal, but the significant point is company and union negotiators are talking.
The ALPA MEC continues to remain in concert and shares their opinion by a 12-0 margin. More information should be forthcoming shortly and made public.
Nobody interested in the success of US Airways wants to see our company burned to the ground by a management-labor dispute, but the pilot resolve to see what they believe is a fair solution should not be underestimated. Let's hope there is both a corporate and legislative solution.
Finally, I encourage all of my colleagues to focus on their job and to continue to provide our customers, who provide for our paychecks, the best product in the industry.
Chip

Isn't likely that any move (reg, policy or legislation) that raises the PBGC maximum payout would benefit every retired pilot?

That would seem to be the simplest fix and one that would be on top of any move that US makes to recompense the retired pilots.

Simple-minded and uninformed, I know

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 1/24/2003 10:42:33 AM autofixer wrote:
[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 1/24/2003 10:36:44 AM ITRADE wrote: [BR][BR]Well, compare the airline pilot pension issue with the steelworker pension issue.[BR][BR]I don't think the steelworker issue is quite resolved, and I get the feeling that folks are going to have more sympathy to a retired steelworker in Altoona rather than a pilot with a house on the golf course out side of West Palm.[BR]----------------[BR][/BLOCKQUOTE][BR]ITRADE, That is a sterotypical coment. I expected better from you.
[P][/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P][/P]Perhaps so, but you cannot dismiss the fact that the average steel worker made significantly less than the average commercial pilot at retirement age.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/24/2003 10:36:44 AM ITRADE wrote:

Well, compare the airline pilot pension issue with the steelworker pension issue.

I don't think the steelworker issue is quite resolved, and I get the feeling that folks are going to have more sympathy to a retired steelworker in Altoona rather than a pilot with a house on the golf course out side of West Palm.
----------------
[/blockquote]
ITRADE, That is a sterotypical coment. I expected better from you.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/24/2003 11:10:19 AM Tim Nelson wrote:

A pilot came into the breakroom today and pretty much echoed what Chip has been saying. It seems to me that if ALPA put this thing to a vote that it would belly flop right in front of the MEC.

The issue is one of fairness in the pilots corner. It seems what they are saying is, why should one group dig deeper if management doesn't modify its own pension or big new stock plan?

Certainly the pilots have a valid argument, whether one agrees or disagrees with it. And who would want to argue against it other than management?
----------------
[/blockquote]

A guy I know flies the refuelers for the military, the BIG birds making what a RJ F/O makes if he is lucky.

Also, the company runs the show not the pilots...at least that was how it started out.....

NO, I don't begrudge the pilots, just my point of view from several points of viewers. Fairness is dependent on ones point of view.

Hope we all become billionaires when it's all said and done.

A pilot came into the breakroom today and pretty much echoed what Chip has been saying. It seems to me that if ALPA put this thing to a vote that it would belly flop right in front of the MEC.

The issue is one of fairness in the pilots corner. It seems what they are saying is, why should one group dig deeper if management doesn't modify its own pension or big new stock plan?

Certainly the pilots have a valid argument, whether one agrees or disagrees with it. And who would want to argue against it other than management?

Well, compare the airline pilot pension issue with the steelworker pension issue.[BR][BR]I don't think the steelworker issue is quite resolved, and I get the feeling that folks are going to have more sympathy to a retired steelworker in Altoona rather than a pilot with a house on the golf course out side of West Palm.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/24/2003 12:03:52 PM N421LV wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/24/2003 11:38:01 AM cavalier wrote:

A guy I know flies the refuelers for the military, the BIG birds making what a RJ F/O makes if he is lucky.

----------------
[/blockquote]

So are you saying RJ pilots makes even less? I really don't know?

I KNOW what he makes and it is not what one would think it should be when looking at what majors pay to fly the same aircraft, not even close!

I find that really hard to believe.
----------------
[/blockquote]

ITrade: So you're comparing the skill level of a steelworker to that of a commercial airline pilot?

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/24/2003 11:38:01 AM cavalier wrote:

----------------
[/blockquote]

I find that really hard to believe.

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 1/24/2003 12:17:34 PM festus wrote:
[P]ITrade: So you're comparing the skill level of a steelworker to that of a commercial airline pilot? [/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P][/P]Not at all. What I am saying is that there is a particular perception of a steel worker as being one set of person and a commercial airline pilot as another. [BR][BR]Most folks don't envision pilots as the prototypical union/pensioners.

I've always found it hard to understand how commercial pilots are able to justify in their mind being worth more than the pilot of a B-52 or B-1 (able to kill millions of people instantaneously...), a F-18 (landing on a postage stamp at night), or the pilot of Air Force One. I suppose none of those pilots consider themself highly skilled professionals? They certainly have a lot more day to day responsibility!...

What's a military pension worth for a career pilot?...