Pilot Staffing - October

BoeingBoy

Veteran
Nov 9, 2003
There's a new pilot permanent bid out for October - I'm surprised that it hasn't been mentioned yet. And for those that don't know, the permanent bid is to fill vacancies, etc, as opposed to the monthly bid for flying schedules.

Cliff notes version...

Loss of 45 positions system-wide.

Seasonal adjustments to A330/767International flying.

No big pull-down of PIT staffing. In fact, with all the international in PHL, that is where the most positions are lost.

Changes in positions by base:

CLT (15)
DCA 3
LGA 1
PHL (27)
PIT (7)
BOS 0

A note to keep in mind. These are pilot staffing changes. They don't necessarily say anything about the number of flights out of PIT in October. In fact, the "lines of time" summary shows no changes in October except for PHL & CLT 76Int'l.

Jim

Can you explain why there are no appreciable changes in the schedule? Where's the PIT drawdown? Where's the point-to-point?

One very important thing to keep in mind is that the staffing at the various bases doesn't have to change if there are changes in the schedule (or the PIT drawdown effect).

The PIT schedule could change without changing the number of crews based there as long as there are enough flights to get the crews "into the system". For example, a 4-day trip could leave PIT to start and not see PIT again until the last day when the crew finished. In between, that crew could be flying in and out of PHL, or CLT, or flying P2P flights.

Obviously, you want your crews based where they can be used most efficiently, but there are other considerations. Shifting flying time causes training for pilots, so there is the consideration of training slots (classroom & sim). With the move of the PIT sims to CLT and closing of PIT classroom space, that could be a consideration. Anyone that knows can chip in, but I assume that it is a 1 or 2 month process to tear down a sim, transport it, put it back together, and recertify it.

Anyway, the moral of the story is that the staffing says nothing much about the October flight schedule in PIT.

Jim

And....

ps. the loss of positions system wide was driven entirely by attrition. 57 pilots are leaving line positions in September and October (the last bid was for August). 12 pilots are returning to line positions during the same period. Results in a net loss of 45 jobs.

Jim

BoeingBoy said:
The PIT schedule could change without changing the number of crews based there as long as there are enough flights to get the crews "into the system".
True, but it makes things more difficult, and reduces flexibility. Unless it's really necessary, I sure would want to avoid doing it.

In theory, the crews would be where they could be most efficiently used. However, "efficient" can sorta mean different things - depends on your viewpoint. You've read all the complaints on here about the "productivity breaks" the crews endure. That's an inefficient use of the crew's time - from the crew's perspective. However, if there is no pay penalty it's not inefficient from the company's perspective. Same holds true here to some extent. As long as there is no cost penalty to the company, having "less efficient" trips (most flying in least time) doesn't matter to the company.

And as I pointed out above, there are other considerations beside just efficient use of crews. Whenever the flying time gets shifted around from base to base, there is training to be considered. If you can't train all the people, why shift them around all at once. We won't know until the bid is awarded, but I suspect that the loss of these 45 jobs system-wide and the seasonal international adjustments will equate to upwards of 200 people changing jobs with at least half of them needing some type of training (talking pilots only since F/A's are qualified on all the airplanes).

Jim

mweiss said:
Can you explain why there are no appreciable changes in the schedule? Where's the PIT drawdown? Where's the point-to-point?
mweiss / boeingboy

I saw the first draft of the Oct. schedule and I think that PIT only loses 12-15 flights per day (including express operations). This combined with the talk at the water cooler, leads me to the conclusions that the PIT transformation will not kick into full swing until Nov.

Myself and my group are working as hard and as fast as we can to give marketing range payload and other aircraft operating characteristics for some very interesting point to point destinations. (None of which I can share here). What is unfortunate, especially for employees, is that so far the details of the transformation flying (point to point) are being kept in the dark. It would do wonders for morale if CCY would share their point to point wish list with the union leaders. It's tough knowing that management IS trying to transform this airline, but not seeing any action.

I just hope that we can see some changes put in place before all our money runs-out....

USPerfEngr

I doubt if US is going to make any public decision on PIT until they work through the current round of labor negotations. It does nothing to publicly commit to significant changes in US' operation if labor is not willing to support it or make it possible. Even considering how the bid lines are constructed, October is not a big leisure travel month so US has some time but they really need to firm the PIT schedule within the next couple months or they will be facing another PSA-like fiasco in trying to move assets and schedules before everything is ready.

UsPerfEngr,

Thanks for the insight. If there's going to be significant changes for November, at least as far as crew staffing is concerned, we'll know in a month or so.

Jim

UsPerfEngr,

Yours is a voice I'd be happy to hear around here more often. No offense intended toward the others, but hearing the usual disgruntled mechs and FAs gets old. :)

I'll PM the meat of my response to you; it'd probably be best not shared with the world.

tadjr said:
I would personally prefer not to be a mushroom myself, but we all know someone has to be. :p :shock:
I thought that was funguy2's job! :D (get it? fungi? :blink: ...never mind...)

UsPerfEngr said:
mweiss / boeingboy

I saw the first draft of the Oct. schedule and I think that PIT only loses 12-15 flights per day (including express operations). This combined with the talk at the water cooler, leads me to the conclusions that the PIT transformation will not kick into full swing until Nov.

Myself and my group are working as hard and as fast as we can to give marketing range payload and other aircraft operating characteristics for some very interesting point to point destinations. (None of which I can share here). What is unfortunate, especially for employees, is that so far the details of the transformation flying (point to point) are being kept in the dark. It would do wonders for morale if CCY would share their point to point wish list with the union leaders. It's tough knowing that management IS trying to transform this airline, but not seeing any action.

I just hope that we can see some changes put in place before all our money runs-out....

USPerfEngr
:D Thanks for the post, its encouraging to say the least. Wish someone like you would post more often. While I understand for competitive reasons infomoration can t be shared ( and I AGREE ) just glad for the glimmer of hope....... Thanks

Ben Baldanza told the pilot group at the June 17 meeting that PIT will go from about 120 to less than 100 mainline flights in November, which is the month other focus cities will see ramped up point-to-point service.

PIT is expected to become a focus city with its new schedule in late winter, probably March.

The company will not release details until the schedule is ready to be loaded into Sabre for competitive reasons.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
The company will not release details until the schedule is ready to be loaded into Sabre for competitive reasons.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
What? They did not share this info with you?

Oh, how the mighty have fallen! :D

OTOH, they DID want to keep it confidential. ;)