Pilot Staffing - October

With today's announcement that on November 4 (the proposed schedule in development) US Airways could operate about 70 Pittsburgh mainline departures, which is 32 less than today. Thus, Pilot Bid 04-07 (November and possibly Decmeber bid period) could reduce Pittsburgh mainline pilot staffing and then the F/A's could see reduced staffing too. Moreover, these positions could be transferred to East Coast focus cities and/or the two remaining hubs.

Do not be surprised if LGA obtains non-stop Florida service in November.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

Just one more point...

It's my understanding the LGA domicile will be next to have Airbus pilots internationally trained. This base will follow PHL, CLT, & BOS. DCA & PIT will be last. On Saturday, US Airways currently serves eight Caribbean destinations from LGA.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

Correction: USA320: Per the article started by USFlyer entitled USAirways Previews Pittsburgh Fall Schedule. It states that there are currently 107 Mainline flights, going down to 70, which is a reduction in 37 flights NOT 32. ;)

I think it will be interesting to see where the flying "time" goes from PIT once they start downsizing. Or will they even shrink the crew base at all? Knowing the way this company makes decisions, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them ADD time to PIT!! ;)

Based on past history of downsizing bases, they won't do it all at once but over time. That appears to be what's happening here, since they say it will be more or less a hub system at least till early next year.

Guess we'll get a clue when the Nov pilot permanent bid comes out.

Jim

Guess you're right BoingBoy. We'll find out in a few months. Just seems that for years now, the PIT crew base has been way larger than necessary in comparison to the number of mainline flights it had. So I wouldn't be surprised to see them keep the base the same size even after shrinking it down to a focus city. Would that make sense? Of course not. But since when did that ever have anything to do with the way such decisions are made at US? :D

See, Stewguy, that is typical of this companies so called shrewed mentality, they leave everyone in the lurk. From what I hear, from those in the so-called management...at least....F/A's will be drastically reduced by Jan.1.

This is sinfull and criminal to keep people in the dark about their livelihoods.

I am counting on being history no later than Jan. 1. THANK GOD!!!!!

ktflyhome said:
This is sinfull and criminal to keep people in the dark about their livelihoods.
I couldn't agree with you more. But, unfortunately, they're not concerned about you. You're just a lowly front line employee in their eyes. US management doesn't get it....never has, never will. Not only do they not know how to run a company (except into the ground), they don't know the first thing about how to treat employees....the very people that do all the work FOR them. I mean, they don't even attempt to give the APPEARANCE of caring about employees!

This is a little off of the subject, but in regard to flight crew staffing, I understand 199 F/A's accepted the company's voluntary separation proposal and will be leaving US Airways employment on September 1.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

StewGuy86 said:
I mean, they don't even attempt to give the APPEARANCE of caring about employees!
This has been the attitude of the company for a long time and it never seems to change. They just dont get it. If they had some concern for the people that make this company move, I dont believe we would be in the mess the company has gotten itself into now. Who wants to give the shirt off their back to a bunch of weasels that have $$$$$ on their mind for themselves. Personally, I don't feel like making more sacrafices for this company just to fatten their bank accounts. It seems as if the "ENRON" MENTALITY has taken over most corporations and it's always the small guys that pay the price for all the greed and mismanagement. This company is going down with our without our paycuts. Most of us have absolutely no confidence in anything that the exec's spin out of Crystal City. We've heard it all before. Too many times.

USA320Pilot said:
This is a little off of the subject, but in regard to flight crew staffing, I understand 199 F/A's accepted the company's voluntary separation proposal and will be leaving US Airways employment on September 1.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
200 F/A's took Voluntary Separation and only 28 IIRC were active.

For those not up on the timeline for pilot's base (or parmenent) bids, here's the sorta short version....

The permanent bid for a particular month (say November) needs to be awarded before the bidding process for schedules for that month begins. Under the current monthly scheduleing system, bidding begins about the 11th or 12th of the second month before the month being bid (November schedule bidding begins in September. Since the permanent bid has to be open for a minimum of 7 days, preferably 10 days, the November permanent bid should be posted for bid by roughly the end of August at the latest. Of course, it could come out sooner.

Jim

I understand that PIT pilot and F/A staffing could be reduced by about 35% in November. Permanent bid 04-07 should be released in mid to late August with the PIT flight crew positions transferred to East Coast focus and hub citites.

The PIT hub should transition to a "focus city" with the majority of the remaining schedule, ground, and flight crew staffing changes implemented in March 2005.

Separately, expect additional MDA expansion/job positions to be announced in PHL & DCA shortly.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot