Pilots reach tentative pact with United

Not that surprising at all. An airline as desperate as UA is for a merger is not going to do anything to alienate potential merger partners. And having pissed off pilots not willing to fly overtime to keep the schedule intact reminds everyone of the Summer of 2000. So Tilton did what he had to do. This should actually prove to most that some type of deal is going to happen VERY SOON. Otherwise, I don't think UA would have capitulated so quickly.

Not so fast on the merger speculation. I'm not saying that mergers didn't play into Tilton's plan, but this tentative agreement is just the beginning. And it was a long time coming.

Pilots have been moving their "Unity" campaign along since last year. As a group, we have slowly been losing patience and moral has been declining. The $250 Million dividend that mostly benefits Tilton and his top dogs was the final straw. Why work more than you are required or go the extra mile when your employer makes it clear that your moral is not his problem?

It finally hit home when Tilton saw the product of his neglect, when his poor management and lack of foresight made the operation fall apart. Fixing the moral problem with the pilots is essential whether a merger happens or not. ALPA made it clear that any tentative agreement must be seen as a gesture of goodwill by the company with no give backs.

This is the first step in the right direction, but certainly not the last if he wants labor peace. My prediction is that this tentative agreement, IF it passes, may help improve the operation slightly. But don't expect miracles. ALPA is still looking for more from this management team who has demonstrated a complete disregard for it's employees.

Latest posts