Pilots Union Puts Arpey on Notice

WingNaPrayer

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
EYW
Visit site
September 18, 2007
Mr. Gerard J. Arpey Chairman, President & CEO American Airlines, Inc. PO Box 619616 MD5621 DFW Airport, TX 75261-9616

Dear Mr. Arpey:

We are in receipt of Robert Hughes' e-mail and attached PowerPoint presentation stating the purpose and goals of the Joint Leadership Team (JLT).
It was difficult for us to get past the first PPT slide, which advertised "immediate, significant bottom line improvement" and "unified regular delivery of credible 2-way business information." All we can see from our vantage point is the vast enrichment of AMR executives from bottom line improvement that is levered into their pockets via the 10-to-1 leverage of the P/E ratio, and an unlimited opportunity for continued one-way delivery of corporate business information. Meanwhile, labor is deprived of any of the bottom line benefits mentioned because profit sharing does not kick in until $500 million (after all of management's bonuses are accounted for in the Salary Expense line), and AIP Financial does not pay until $1.2 billion in pre-tax profits.

AMR executives love to listen to labor's ideas for solving "their* problems, but have nothing to say in response to our bitter complaints of being cut out of the rewards while management counts the gold. In our view, the JLT has been a cruel hoax perpetrated upon AA employees. We were promised regular meetings to discuss and improve our gain-sharing programs, yet after 47 months we are still waiting for this promise to be kept. You promised that if we would "pull together," we would "win together." Yet despite our sacrifices and hard work to provide ideas through forums such as the JLT, AA continues to deprive pilots of advancement opportunities by shrinking, while more and more VPs are hired. Rather than address the causes of the poor ratings our customers give us on the many surveys you take, your solution always seems to involve hiring another VP or forming another "team." At least in the old days of Bob Crandall, which are looking more and more like the peak of leadership in AMR's arc of history, we were all rewarded congruently. Executives did not enjoy big bonus payouts unless employees received profit sharing.

When we met with you last month, we spent four hours in the room with your senior leadership helping them brainstorm issues that they are being paid handsomely

to address. Still we participated and offered our observations and ideas. After the meeting we attempted to get one minor issue of our own addressed by Mark Burdette and were rejected out of hand. Upon returning to our offices, we discovered that the "hypothetical" American Way article you asked about had been delivered earlier in the day to our safety committee in a nearly final form. We also discovered that a letter to the pilots about the state of negotiations had been delivered to our members and the press, even as we sat in the room with the author, who never had the courtesy to share it with us face-to-face.

In our view, the JLT has become a classic "union busting" exercise, devoid of rewards for our members and lacking the basic respect and courtesy expected in a cooperative professional relationship. We no longer have time to participate, as we are needed back at APA headquarters to work on issues such as restoring our members' pay and overturning management's illegal, immoral, and retroactive garnishment of earned and rightful sick pay for our pilots...a cruel persecution pressed on APA by oblivious human resources and flight departments. Now that you have decided to start persecuting the most defenseless pilots in the group, disabled pilots with mental/nervous disorders, we are seeing unprecedented suicide rates and pilots deserting their families. One pilot caught in this drive to reduce costs was forced to come off his medications to try to get his medical back. His reaction to this cessation of treatment was to leave his wife and children behind; we are trying reel him in before *he* kills himself.

Enjoy your blood money and your union-busting meetings. We'll see you in court, in the newspapers, and on the picket line.

Regards,

Captain Lloyd Hill Captain Tom Westbrook Captain Bill Haug
President Vice President Secretary-Treasurer
cc: Robert Reding Jeff Brundage Mark Burdette

This was a letter sent nearly a month ago which recently began making rounds on the internet again. It isn't written with much thought or intelligence behind it.

And now, maybe its just me, but I don't think it is real smart of this pilot's union to publicly announce that AA has mentally unstable pilots in the cockpit. Especially since my gut tells me to really doubt such a statement. The tone of the letter reeks of inuendo.

I could be wrong!

And now, maybe its just me, but I don't think it is real smart of this pilot's union to publicly announce that AA has mentally unstable pilots in the cockpit. Especially since my gut tells me to really doubt such a statement. The tone of the letter reeks of inuendo.

I could be wrong!

There was not one word in the article that said any such thing. The pilot in question was on extended sick leave and was being forced to terminate his medications to lower costs.

I could be wrong!

The Pilots could always ride the TWU Blue Zebra in public while wearing a t-shirt with a slogan on it.

There was not one word in the article that said any such thing. The pilot in question was on extended sick leave and was being forced to terminate his medications to lower costs.

Then they needed to be a bit more precise. They did not say pilots out on sick leave, or pilots on leave, they said pilots in their group. It still sends the wrong signal.

Now that you have decided to start persecuting the most defenseless pilots in the group, disabled pilots with mental/nervous disorders,

If they didn't mean active duty pilots, then they had a duty to spell that out before casting this obviously poorly written letter into the public eye. Would you at least agree with that?

I tend to agree, the public only reads " pilot had to give up meds because of cost cutting." PR disaster. Overall the letter sounds like childish whining, certainly not the tone of professional airmen.

Just glad to hear that at least one union is standing up to those greedy m0ter fckers.
I hope they realize they can get more milk from the cow on the inside than on the outside. Use the log book to vent your frustrations. The mechanics will be more than happy to ensure your aircraft is repaired in a safe and timely manner. Safety being AA's number one prioriy and ours too
:D

I could be wrong!
"Now that you have decided to start persecuting the most defenseless pilots in the group, disabled pilots with mental/nervous disorders"

Disabled would mean that he does not currently have a DOT medical therefore he would not be in the cockpit he would be off on medical leave or working a job on the ground!!!!

One pilot caught in this drive to reduce costs was forced to come off his medications to try to get his medical back. His reaction to this cessation of treatment was to leave his wife and children behind; we are trying reel him in before *he* kills himself.

Soo he could fly That would mean that AA would be at least part at fault had he been put back in the cockpit!!

So yes I would say your wrong :up:

I don't know the current lingo to be 121 certified, but in the past if you were ever on anti-depressants you were denied certification. I infer from this letter that you are now permitted to take the meds but cannot fly during that period. Is this FAA or AA requirement? Whichever one it is, it is archaic and ignorant. I would rather have a pilot whose brain chemical levels are stabilized by meds than one who is trying to keep his job by depriving himself of a needed medication. Would we deny a diabetic his insulin? Same principle...

AA Stew:

I attend Embry Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona Beach. The students were required to submit a medical information form at the start of the semester. I truthfully disclosed that I was on anti-depressants and under the care of a psychotherapist and a psychiatrist (a psychotherapist cannot prescribe drugs). Immediately upon disclosure, my medical form was highlighted in big red letters that I was denied any sort of flight clearance (not that I want to be a pilot anyway). I do agree with you though...it is a rather archaic rule, but it is set by the FAA. I was told that I would have to clear through the FAA in Oklahoma City, should I desire to enter the flight training program. Getting back to the the letter: It is not well written and sounds very unprofessional. I think that there are ways to get one's point across without sounding uneducated and juvenile. If I were in a union leadership position, it certainly isn't a document that I would sign my name to. It discredits the entire objective, in my opinion.

Well, it will certainly win some fans for management. Most people not working for AA will read this and simply assume the pilots are unreasonable with leaders who are even more so. The average person considers a company going into bankruptcy a bad thing and the fact that AA avoided it to be a great feat of leadership.

While I agree with some of his assertions, especially about the unnecessary and continual creation of new VP positions, the letter is poorly written and unprofessional. It sounds like a rant.

While I agree with some of his assertions, especially about the unnecessary and continual creation of new VP positions, the letter is poorly written and unprofessional. It sounds like a rant.

We must be getting into the banking business where every employee is either a teller or a Vice-President. :lol:

As far as the quality/professionalism/wording of the letter...Don't be too sure that the public is going to write this off/ignore it. A lot of people in a lot of industries have seen their pay/benefits cut or stagnated and friends terminated over the past few years while the executives of their companies have been awarded bonusses left and right.