Pilots, Us Airways Remain At Odds

Guesswork, pure and simple. About a year ago it was said somewhere that pilot costs were about 1.3 cents per ASM. I took 1/3 of that.

Jim

And you're right, my numbers say nothing about profits. Obviously, the lower the cost of production, the better the chance of profits. All of this really started with the "lower cost to compete with the LCC's" and "we can't fly the airplanes more without more concessions (work rules)" mantra's. I thought I'd try to figure out the difference between flying the planes more with/without recalling pilots (or changing/not changing the pay cap). Turns out it is pretty negligible.

And my figures are admittedly simplistic. For example, recalling pilots would cause a training "bump" that would increase the cost in the short term. That all falls into the "too many factors without exact data" basket and is part of the reason I left a/c acquisition cost in the incremental cost as a fudge factor.

Jim

Fair enough. I don't want you to think I'm picking on you; I really appreciate the effort you've put in, particularly in the face of Spartan data.

I suspect you're underestimating the non-wage fraction of employee costs. I was very surprised to learn from one of my previous employers that the non-wage component was close to 50% of the employee cost. Perhaps it's different for pilots at US Airways; I don't know. But it's something to consider.

BTW, I'm going to miss your voice of reason while you're off flying from place to place. ;)

You could well be right on the benefit costs. Either way, the point is that we're not talking about cents per ASM difference between using recalled pilots or current pilots, but fractions of a cent.

Oh well, off to get ready to go to work. Look forward to "seeing" all of you in a few days.

Jim

to much time to quit said:
Thank you casy, after reading your evaluation and diagnosis I feel much better already. I just went outside and planted some flowers and pet and fed my dog. You saved me a ton of money also since I won't need to see a shrink and pay the health deductables from my insurance whos costs have risen over 500% in the last couple of years along with my pay, sick time, vacation and many other benefits being reduced. And on top of that Usairways is still being run by a bunch of lying corporate raiders who will continue to try to drop the middle class to a lower level. My life is not miserable and I really do like myself. What I dislike our people like you that seem to know everything about the plight of every airline worker. I'm curiuos how you to our involved in the airline life? How much schooling have you invested? What other jobs did you have to have to get to this level? How many years of your life have you been with the same company and watched the revolving ceo door open and close with no better business plan. Your probably some new hire express employee who hasn't watched thousands of your friends and coworkers go out the door after 14 years of service never to return. :angry:
My advise to you sir would be to watch the movie Anger Management while your wife rubs your back and you are eating M&M’s. Make sure you eat some sort of chocolate because it reacts with the neurons in your troubled mind not to mention the telencephalon or metencephalon of course.

Planting the flowers is a good therapeutic idea and with that suggestion I believe that there is hope for you because your thinking is still not altered from years of hate and anger.

How many years you asked? Six years of college and many more of practical experience combined with ongoing work in research.

Airline workers are becoming a good case study, some are actually benefiting from the stresses put forth on them, the self preservation instinct aspect.

insp89 said:
casyjones, Keep up the good work. You are surely a superior human being.
Your comment shows resentment , frustration and other emotions and of course, jealousy.

I love people who play amature psychologist.. I find most of the time, that amature psychologists are unstable people who took psych 101 in community college and failed. That, or they themelves are under the guide of professional shrink, and they act out a fantasy by pretending to be one themselves. Sometimes they are just attention whores..

To be fair, you'd have to be pretty blind to not see the anger of many of the employees on this site.

usair_begins_with_u said:
I love people who play amature psychologist.. I find most of the time, that amature psychologists are unstable people who took psych 101 in community college and failed. That, or they themelves are under the guide of professional shrink, and they act out a fantasy by pretending to be one themselves. Sometimes they are just attention whores..
I would say your amygdala is over loading making you feel all kinds of emotions, mostly arrogance which breeds the condescending attitude you display on this board giving all your self perceived brilliance in business. Instead of putting this self perceived brilliance of the perfect business model together and becoming very wealthy and creating a life of leisure, you find yourself on here talking down to people who have been and are living under duress for years. My diagnosis: you are more troubled than the poor airlines workers who are only trying to eek out a living under less then perfect circumstances, and considering the time you spend on here preaching that perfect business model the more you are feeding your disease. You are self destructing and you don’t even realize it but instead believe you are contributing something positive. If not treated you will become another NGRI case to be read about in the medical journals.

PS: I forgot, I MUST MW in this diagnosis, actually he is the front runner

PITbull said:
Hey genius,

Who said anything about INCLUDING hotel over nights...

You keep repeating yourself in this thread. We are NOT including hotel overnights.
Uhhh, go back and reread some of the posts. A few people DID include overnights. It's there in black and white.

USFlyer said:
Uhhh, go back and reread some of the posts. A few people DID include overnights. It's there in black and white.
I am sure she is about to post an apology to mweiss for missing that... ;)

oldiebutgoody said:
Now, let me know when you get checked out on the drive thru.
Oooooh, nice one, cadaver. Can't win the argument so you stoop to personal attacks. It'll do wonders for your credibility, I can assure you. :lol: