Midatlantic Pilots Fear Loss Of Jobs In Republic

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
MidAtlantic pilots fear loss of jobs in Republic deal
Wednesday, March 30, 2005

By Dan Fitzpatrick, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Union officials are afraid that half of the 330 pilots employed by US Airways' MidAtlantic commuter division could lose their jobs if a U.S. bankruptcy judge approves a new investment deal with commuter carrier Republic Airways.

"That is my biggest, immediate concern," said Dan Von Bargen, a pilots representative from Philadelphia.

Click for Story

"Another complication is Embraer, which yesterday filed an objection in U.S. Bankruptcy Court to the potential sale of its aircraft to Republic."

Embraer's filing is here.

Jim

Good thing ALPA "Led" the way with cooperation and concessions. Otherwise they would be feeling much more pain <_< . Wouldn't you say so A320PILE-IT???????

BoeingBoy said:
"Another complication is Embraer, which yesterday filed an objection in U.S. Bankruptcy Court to the potential sale of its aircraft to Republic."

Embraer's filing is here.

Jim
[post="259358"][/post]​

Just seems like they are trying to cover all bases by having a "Say" in the sale should it happen. Not a bad thing from Embraer's point of view I should think

700UW said:
MidAtlantic pilots fear loss of jobs in Republic deal
Wednesday, March 30, 2005

By Dan Fitzpatrick, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Union officials are afraid that half of the 330 pilots employed by US Airways' MidAtlantic commuter division could lose their jobs if a U.S. bankruptcy judge approves a new investment deal with commuter carrier Republic Airways.

"That is my biggest, immediate concern," said Dan Von Bargen, a pilots representative from Philadelphia.

Click for Story
[post="259353"][/post]​
Should not these pilots be moving to Jet Blue?

Since US Airways got such a good deal on the 170s as the North American launch customer, why would Embraer let them assign such a good deal?

Perhaps Embraer gave such a good deal on the 170 because they saw an opening to get their aircraft in to a Major Carrier operation, thereby opening the door to the 190/195 being bought by other major carriers. If US Airways unloads their 170s to just another regional 145 express/contract-lift provider, where does that leave Embraer's bigger Marketing goals? Maybe Embraer wants to be in competition with Boeing and Airbus, not just Bombardier. Republic does not help that goal. It will severely hurt it. :down:

I bet Embraer could get a much better deal for it's airplanes at Alitalia or LOT. Maybe the great minds at CCY forgot to include Embraer when they devised the ultimate airline Franchise scheme?

I have also heard that the MDA pilots are taking legal action against the proposed transaction.

Are there any other legal objections waiting in the wings? :up:

TBONEJ4J said:
Since US Airways got such a good deal on the 170s as the North American launch customer, why would Embraer let them assign such a good deal?

From reading through the filing, it appears that Embraer's primary concerns lie with ensuring that its interests are protected in this transaction -- that its liens are maintained or paid, that Republic has adequate financial stability, etc.

I bet Embraer could get a much better deal for it's airplanes at Alitalia or LOT. Maybe the great minds at CCY forgot to include Embraer when they devised the ultimate airline Franchise scheme?

Alitalia is a basket case with militant unions that will probably ensure the airline shuts down. They really do think that the airline's sole purpose is to provide jobs for its employees. LOT isn't big enough to be relevant.

sfb said:
Alitalia is a basket case with militant unions that will probably ensure the airline shuts down. They really do think that the airline's sole purpose is to provide jobs for its employees. LOT isn't big enough to be relevant.
[post="259421"][/post]​

Fair Enough. I suggested both of those carriers only because they already operate the 170.

But the rest of the world may present opportunities for Embraer to unload those aircraft for better terms than the terms originally given to US Airways?

The Airline Business elsewhere is somewhat more robust since it it is only in the U.S.A. that a number of airlines are locked into a to-the-death below-cost-selling who goes under first Fest. There could be potential customers for the product elsewhere that could provide a better, more secure, return.

The Filing definitely indicates that Embraer is a little concerned that US Airways didn't consult with them when arranging a deal to liquidate their (Embraer's) assets. B)

TBONEJ4J said:
But the rest of the world may present opportunities for Embraer to unload those aircraft for better terms than the terms originally given to US Airways?

That's what I see as being somewhat problematic. Have you seen the order book for the E170? US Airways and Republic together represent 70% of the firm orders. And US supposedly got extremely favorable terms for becoming the North American launch customer for the E170; why would Embraer want to try to unload planes elsewhere for even less money?

The Filing definitely indicates that Embraer is a little concerned that US Airways didn't consult with them when arranging a deal to liquidate their (Embraer's) assets. B)

Agreed 100%. IMO this is largely meant to make sure that their rights are preserved in this deal. Probably more precautionary than anything else.

sfb said:
And US supposedly got extremely favorable terms for becoming the North American launch customer for the E170; why would Embraer want to try to unload planes elsewhere for even less money?
[post="259465"][/post]​

When I say "better terms", I mean in favor of Embraer. Perhaps they could unload them. For more than US Airways could unload them. To their benefit, not US Airways. I have to think that the extremely favorable terms were a strategy to move the Embraer product into a 'Mainline' setting to broaden the market base for that product.

But it does seem that the 70-Seat is becoming as popular as the 50-Seat. If it was a 190/195 I think the aircraft would be easier to sell worldwide. B)

RICO...OH RICO....
What...?

Oh, you want to gloat I assume, well sorry, but I am not bummed out. In fact, I have to say that no matter what happens from here on out...

I have been, and still am glad to have been a part of MDA. Can you say the same of your experience with the company Wings or Delldude...?

Despite the uncertainty of what exactly will happen to the MDA pilots, I know that I will deal with whatever comes my way, and make the best of the situation.

You see, I bid into MDA to fly something new, fly somewhere new, and to learn and improve as a pilot. I have accomplished those goals already.

I bid into MDA because I wanted to be able to deliver a quality experience to the passengers I was responsible for. In the Dash 8, you could have the perfect flight, and still many passengers would come away disappointed (merely because of the aircraft). In the E-170 though, I listen to multiple compliments a day, from passengers whose expectations were exceeded. That is where i get my job satisfaction.

I have also been happy because I enjoyed working with some of the best people in the US Airways system. I had a blast and learned so much from the captains I flew with. I have nothing but the highest respect for the MDA flight attendants who do an outstanding job and are great to work with. And the mechanics, who labored long and hard to figure our new planes "quirks" out, and keep us flying deserve as much credit as possible.

So yeah, I will be disappointed to see any of that change, but in a situation like this, when you close one door, another opens. It is up to you if you want to stare backwards and be bummed about what was, only to miss the possible opportunities that might lie ahead.

So if I end up at Republic, I will continue to do everything I can to give our passengers a safe and enjoyable flight. If I am furloughed from MDA, and must do so from a different JFJ position, then that is what I will do...

Who knows, maybey I will be lucky enough to trade out my white uniform shirts for blue ones even...

But Republic will be lucky to get it's hands upon the hard working people that built MDA from the ground up and made it a success. Obviously I hope I get to be one of them from the start.Yet there are other options to explore if I do not get on with Republic just yet.

Remember, life is what you make of it.

Well, sorry if I have not subscribed to the doom and gloom, this place sucks, pity party that so many on here seem to be drowning in.

I get moved over to Republic... No biggy. I will basically do what I am doing now, just with a different callsign.

If not, I look into other JFJ opportunites, or wait to bid back into PDT as a Dash 8 Captain once again... Again, no biggy.

Freaking out about the situation will not change nor help anything. And who knows, in the long run it might turn out to be a really good thing. Afterall, Wexford can afford additional aircraft whereas US Airways cannot...

And God forbid. If US Airways does cease to exist, much like the Trump Shuttle being the only remaining part of Eastern that survived, MDA will still go on as part of Republic.

So if anyone really wants to gloat, trying to make themselves feel better in some fashion, feel free. But It only makes me feel sorry for you, not sorry for myself.