Pilots will NOT re-vote

WingNaPrayer

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
EYW
Visit site
Allied Pilots Association Releases Statement Concerning Status of Agreement with American Airlines Management
FORT WORTH, Texas, Apr 22, 2003 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- The Allied Pilots Association (APA), collective bargaining agent for the 13,500 pilots of American Airlines (NYSE:AMR), released the following statement this afternoon in response to questions regarding whether the union would seek to have its members revote on the cost-savings agreement reached earlier this month with American Airlines management:
APA's agreement requires the signature of our president in order to take full force and effect. In light of the revelations late last week about American Airlines management's executive compensation programs, our Board of Directors is now discussing whether to authorize our president to sign our agreement. The requirement that such agreements must bear the signature of our president in order to take full force and effect originates in APA's Constitution and Bylaws, and it is a material term to the conditions of effectiveness in the agreement we reached.
It's also important to note that our agreement contains a contingency clause similar to the other two unions' agreements that requires all three unions to have ratified and legally binding contracts, or none of the agreements are effective. Unlike the other two unions, however, we retain the right to decide whether to accept or reject our agreement even if one or both of the other unions accept theirs.
Because of these two unique aspects--the requirement that our president sign the agreement, and our ability to decide whether to retain the agreement no matter what the other two unions decide--our Board of Directors does not deem it necessary to call for a revote on the agreement by our membership.

I hate to say this BlackBear, but once you reach a certain income level, it does kind of irk you that your taxes are so dispraportionate in comparison to those of the middle and lower income level. These pilots are making 175,000-250,000 a year, but they also put their dues in. Most of them giving 10-20 years to the armed services for their training. Then coming in at B scale and making less than a F/A at time. They have worked and sacrificed to get to the level they are at. In return they get to pay 35 to 42% in federal taxes, then throw in state taxes. That is why they are Republicans, because there is something unfair about that whole deal.

----------------
On 4/22/2003 8:59:57 PM NewHampshire Black Bears wrote:

To me, thats a fancy way of saying(HYPOTHETICALLY)
"Lets see, I make 200k a year. With these "darn" concessions I'll be making 170k a year. Well PRINCIPLE or NO PRINCIPAL, I'm not gonna' vote "NO" !!!

I've said it a million times. "Republican union people" ??

THERE IS "NO" SUCH ANIMAL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NH?BB's

----------------​
The old school of industrial unionism is a thing of the past. If industrial unionism was viable today the AFL-CIO would be directly and publicly involved. They have left the airline employees out in the cold. I know that you are on the edge of retirement and have seen times that collective unionism was a force to be reckoned with. But at approximately 13% strong, they are virtually being ignored as a powerhouse. If the unions across this country would unite then things could be different. Quit living in the past...

"Lets see, I make 200k a year. With these "darn" concessions I''ll be making 170k a year. Well PRINCIPLE or NO PRINCIPAL, I''m not gonna'' vote "NO" !!!

I''ve said it a million times. "Republican union people" ??

NH?BB''s

MiAAmi,
I am not saying the poor pilots, but I would not vote Democrat if I were them. And do not be fooled, ALOT of us f/a''s don''t either.
The reason I can take leaves is because I am financially well off. But my husband and I have worked our asses off to get where we are. At one point not so long ago my salary as a B-scale f/a supported us. I can see both sides of the picture and I say they are right to salvage whatever they can. Maybe we should take the same attitude.

----------------
On 4/22/2003 10:18:12 PM AAStew wrote:

MiAAmi,
I am not saying the poor pilots, but I would not vote Democrat if I were them. And do not be fooled, ALOT of us f/a''s don''t either.
The reason I can take leaves is because I am financially well off. But my husband and I have worked our asses off to get where we are. At one point not so long ago my salary as a B-scale f/a supported us. I can see both sides of the picture and I say they are right to salvage whatever they can. Maybe we should take the same attitude.

----------------​
Still can''t get past being a cheerleader for your star quarterback eh? If you were single and seeing your profession drained of everything you have worked towards for 20 years you would hang up the pom poms and scream. Please quit and go away so we don''t get dragged down by your "i''ll be at the club" attitude. Once he dumps you I''ll send you the democrats phone number. Enjoy the highlife while you still have time. Tick Tock

----------------
On 4/22/2003 9:31:33 PM Buck wrote:

----------------
On 4/22/2003 8:59:57 PM NewHampshire Black Bears wrote:

"Lets see, I make 200k a year. With these "darn" concessions I''ll be making 170k a year. Well PRINCIPLE or NO PRINCIPAL, I''m not gonna'' vote "NO" !!!

I''ve said it a million times. "Republican union people" ??

NH?BB''s

----------------​
The old school of industrial unionism is a thing of the past. If industrial unionism was viable today the AFL-CIO would be directly and publicly involved. They have left the airline employees out in the cold. I know that you are on the edge of retirement and have seen times that collective unionism was a force to be reckoned with. But at approximately 13% strong, they are virtually being ignored as a powerhouse. If the unions across this country would unite then things could be different. Quit living in the past...

----------------​

Buck;
I suppose you''ve got a point here. I am on my way out the door(MABEY), and I have seen better "union days".
So most of your points are "duly noted"

NH/BB''s

----------------
On 4/22/2003 9:08:17 PM AAStew wrote:

I hate to say this BlackBear, but once you reach a certain income level, it does kind of irk you that your taxes are so dispraportionate in comparison to those of the middle and lower income level. These pilots are making 175,000-250,000 a year, but they also put their dues in. Most of them giving 10-20 years to the armed services for their training. Then coming in at B scale and making less than a F/A at time. They have worked  and sacrificed to get to the level they are at. In return they get to pay 35 to 42% in federal taxes, then throw in state taxes. That is why they are Republicans, because there is something unfair about that whole deal.

----------------​
What she really means is " Now that I have gotten what I want ...screw you and anyone who threatens me" Said like a true married for the $$ republican wife. Just fade away into the eternal life of the club..Heartless and has no idea of what gifts have been bestowed on her. Bestowed...not Earned. Oh ..she just hates to say it though.

Wednesday April 23, 8:30 am ET

American Airlines Pilots Threaten to Join Other Unions in Balking at Pay Cut Vote

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) -- American Airlines pilots are threatening to join other unions in balking at wage and benefit cuts they already approved to keep the airline solvent.
Although the Allied Pilots Association said Tuesday it won''t call for a new vote on the measure, a spokesman said union directors were considering telling their president, John Darrah, not to sign the ratification papers

Typical - the rich get richer and screw the little guy attitude. Maybe Carty has gotten to this happy little airline couple. How soon we forget what it was like to start at the bottom. My guess is this is Carty''s wife!

Stewbear,
Read my post. I married for money? I married a guy who was making less money than I was! Do not be so bitter! If you wanted money for God''s Sake why are you a flight attendant? This occupation has historically been a poor paying one. I am not saying everyone should get screwed, but after working for four airlines two which no longer exist, I know better. HIstory repeats itself. Maybe you missed the part where I said we WORKED to get where we are. Wakeup and start accepting responsability for your decisions. If you expected to support a family on a flight attendants salary, yes you can, but it won''t be very afluent. Accept it. Fight for what you still have.

Just my two cents worth it seems to me the problem is a simple supply and demand issue TO MANY SEATS AND NOT ENOUGH BUTTS.I believe the solution is
downsize the available seats and all the airlines and most of the current employees will enjoy a reasonable income or one or more airlines cease to exist.