Pipeline to China

That's exactly where I put my faith, as I said. But I do feel that there are so many issues that UAL is dealing with and that this management is patching things up as they go along. I honestly believe that safety is not this company's primary concern anymore. It is mine, and I know it is the pilot's. But it doesn't feel safe anymore, not to me. Take a look at the stories on untied.com. There are legitimate reasons for concern if some the stories from mechanics are true. I don't believe safety is the primary concern of this management. Management seems only to care about getting planes off the gate. That's just how I feel, seeing the chaos I see every time I go to work.

And the price of not getting 777-200LR or 300ER is? less then a whole new family of planes. IF UA orders 787, no Pratt & Whitney's are available, only Rolls and GE. P & W is old news in the engine biz, the next UA planes will have something else. A380's or 747-8 will have an entirely new engine for UA, so new is coming no matter what flavor we get.

Hey, just playing devil's advocate. Adding additional engine types are going to push UA's maintenance costs up. But you are right, in the future UA is going to have to move away from P&W engines, unless they plan on never flying the 772LR/773ER, A380, 747-8, 787 or A350. I'd like to see UA place a big Boeing order before they miss out on all of Boeing's delivery slots.

I think UA is going for the Boeing tri-fecta, the 747-8, the 777-200LR/300ER & the 787(several types). They could power this trio with GE engines all based on the same family. IF UA did order the A380, let hope they don't, then some form of A350 and maybe A340-500/600 would come too. Going the Airbus route would complicate things since the A380 has Engine Alliance engines, the A350 GE and the A340-500/600 only Rolls. Three different engines for 3 aieplanes. Going Boeing sounds cleaner and easier. The future is in more point to point with 777 & 787 moving the world in that direction. UA does have big operation at Slot constrained airports like LHR and NRT but I don't think that warants going for the A380.

I think UA is going for the Boeing tri-fecta, the 747-8, the 777-200LR/300ER & the 787(several types). They could power this trio with GE engines all based on the same family. IF UA did order the A380, let hope they don't, then some form of A350 and maybe A340-500/600 would come too. Going the Airbus route would complicate things since the A380 has Engine Alliance engines, the A350 GE and the A340-500/600 only Rolls. Three different engines for 3 aieplanes. Going Boeing sounds cleaner and easier. The future is in more point to point with 777 & 787 moving the world in that direction. UA does have big operation at Slot constrained airports like LHR and NRT but I don't think that warants going for the A380.

I believe that United will never own an airbus larger than the 320 unless they get much better reliability and design characteristics.

Just my opinion, but while the bus has a cool table and a nice cabin interior, Boeing has a large lead in nearly every other area.

JBG

…and the fact that Boeing delivers widebody aircraft that are far superior than the comparable product from Airbus (with the possible except of the A330 over the 767 even though it came out years after the Boeing product).

I absolutely have to laugh when UA’s own employees come on this forum and validate my point.

UA isn’t adding new routes to Asia (or anywhere else in the world for that matter) despite the fact that int’l growth is supposedly where profitability lies because UA built a business plan that involved rejecting a number of int’l aircraft and providing no means to add to the fleet for years. How’s that for brilliant?

And despite your obsession with Asia, it is not the sole place in the world where airlines can make money. If your thesis is correct, then why did UA manage to swap aircraft around to add service to the MIDDLE EAST?

DL will have ultra longhaul aircraft in its fleet long before UA does. And so will CO and NW and....

…and the fact that Boeing delivers widebody aircraft that are far superior than the comparable product from Airbus (with the possible except of the A330 over the 767 even though it came out years after the Boeing product).

I absolutely have to laugh when UA’s own employees come on this forum and validate my point.

UA isn’t adding new routes to Asia (or anywhere else in the world for that matter) despite the fact that int’l growth is supposedly where profitability lies because UA built a business plan that involved rejecting a number of int’l aircraft and providing no means to add to the fleet for years. How’s that for brilliant?

And despite your obsession with Asia, it is not the sole place in the world where airlines can make money. If your thesis is correct, then why did UA manage to swap aircraft around to add service to the MIDDLE EAST?

DL will have ultra longhaul aircraft in its fleet long before UA does. And so will CO and NW and....

NOT!!!!

I can't wait to prove you wrong!

Actually your assertion is too general, first of all UAL has a tremendous advantage in widebody lift compared to all airlines you mentioned.

As far as the 787 is concerned, UAL will order it long before the creditors at DAL entertain anything of the sort. If DAL emerges, it most likely will be as the property of NWA, or fragmented it seems.

JBG

Well folks, at least he doesn't write fairy tale novels anymore. Now he just swings insults. I used to believe he was actually a DL customer, but now he's become so seriously defensive that I think he has more at stake then he let us know. Watch out WT, the stapler is coming out and it's aimed at DL.

I have flown the 777-200 and 747-400. Although the 777ER can go further on some routes, a 14-15 hour flight in a 747-400 carries a huge payload. Yes you can load it to max load, but that payload would be much more than a 777ER could haul. Not even close to a rust bucket.

and the 744 has much higher costs too. what is the allowable payload on your 744 flight ORDHKG in the winter?

personally, rust bucket seems a little excessive but your employee said it, not me.

no, dear Fly, I am just waiting for this remarkable turnaround to take place which you and your cadre of followers predicted for over 3 years of BK. Meanwhile, dumb old DL which was supposed to die is coming back to life with a vengeance. Now it wasn't supposed to happen this way, was it?

Meanwhile, dumb old DL which was supposed to die is coming back to life with a vengeance. Now it wasn't supposed to happen this way, was it?

DL is doing what UA did (the "give us an extension to file the POR dance, because we have nothing") and will likely continue that for a few years, exactly the way UA did. Don't pat yourself on the back just yet.

Latest posts

Back