Outsourcing At Ua

The Ronin said:
If you're betting with the IAM....you've already lost....
The IAM issue was hardly his point Ronin....but I guess you missed that.

The issue was the ills of out-sourcing...and ready access to company owned assets...and nothing more.

I do believe a point was being driven home about sub-standard work quality from third party vendors as well.

On a positive note..he IAM has stopped U cold on out-sourcing it's Airbus work...somebody had to step up against this kind of crap...I'm glad they did !!!

I reiterate…if you’re betting with the IAM…. you’ve already lost. Temporary injunction is all you have to date. I was there when Timco came to our closing facility. I watched them take almost everything that wasn’t bolted down. In fact, we stopped them from taking items that were NOT on the authorized inventory list granted by UAL, paid for by UAL, and just GIVEN to the OSV. Every time we pose the question of whether all the tooling, engineering and management support is factored into the final cost structure of OSV vs. UAL, we get the runaround. Not to mention the cost of re-doing a lot of the work.

Unfortunately, facts are facts.....There's nothing you can do to change what is happening. The only thing you can do is put yourself in a better position than you are right now. Pay off your bills. Buy nothing but food. Learn to spell without a spell-checker. You are only a number, as am I. The Industry vs. The Individual...The only way to win is to make yourself more marketable for the future--otherwise you'll adapt in the manner that a Cheetah has.

Are OSV's cheaper? That's a loaded question only the UAL beancounters can answer but they seem to be using some funny calculators and fuzzy logic. Or maybe they've been holed up in their cubicles too long. Here is the October 30 Newsreal. I've edited out all the filler and just left the important statements in.

If you can make sense of this stuff my hat's off to ya

---------------------------------------------------------------------

UAL's third-quarter operating profit was 19 million dollars

UAL's third-quarter net loss was 367 million dollars

"As these results make clear, our restructuring is on track," says Glenn Tilton.

UAL's third-quarter 2003 operating revenues were 3.8 billion dollars

Operating expenses for the quarter were 3.8 billion dollars

The company had an effective tax rate of zero for the third quarter

Salaries and related costs decreased 630 million dollars or 34 percent for the quarter.

Aircraft maintenance, which includes primarily maintenance outsourcing , increased 36 million dollars or 28 percent.
However, overall maintenance costs were down significantly

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

There's also a note on the SFMC site from our "communications" czar
he says we're bringing 14 C checks back from the OSV and that will save us 4 million dollars.

I thought sending them out saved us money?

Back