Outsourcing At Ua

My bad. My intention was not nationality or race, it has to do with the FACT that these people are NOT US citizens AND NOT licensed mechanics. This is a national disgrace when so many LICENSED mechanics that are US citizens are on UNEMPLOYMENT. That is the intent. This is worsened when the the fact that some of the most inept work is coming from a company that is foriegn owned. YOUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK !!!

Attachments

• Nose_strut5.jpg
    Nose_strut5.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 241
OK - back to the question - why would any mechanic safety wire the valve shut unless they had the work order to do so? Is it not about program management? Somewhere, somebody in the work flow said that the valve needs to be wired shut.

The MEL would be one reason a valve would be wired open or closed depending
on what kind of valve it is.

MEL could be a reason "In a normal operational environment", but is strictly forbidden leaving a HMV.

Next: Engine after takeoff from OSV,and the next round of trying to justify the "Shoddy Workmanship" of the OSV's

Attachments

• Acft4635EngineFOD.jpg
    Acft4635EngineFOD.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 241
So, once again....was the safety wiring a result of shoddy workmanship by mechanics, or poor oversight by managers, engineers or the A&P that checked it off?

aircraft_artificer

I was tracking a plane that was supposed to be coming to my station after
an overhaul at BFM and looked in PLNWRK at all the work they had done on that
aircraft while it was on the ground there.After it left BFM the pages
were removed by someone with the authority to take them out like LM.Maybe
because they know if there is a problem with the aircraft many people have access
to them and we would know what had been done there if there was a problem.

Segue - You "assume" that an A&P signed off the work. FAR Part 145 allows a person that meets that repair stations "qualifications" per their GMM(General Maintenance Manual) to possess a "repairmans certificate" and thusly are allowed to release work or the entire aircraft for return to service and NEVER have an A&P license. The question remains was the valve installed after run ups and test flt? Why was it not "op ckd" after installation, per the MM? The safety actually appears to be that of the type that is seen from the shops that overhaul them. The underlying FACT is that due to engineering having to put "redundant" systems in an aircraft a disaster was averted. The fact is that in almost all aircraft accidents there is no "singular" cause but a steady build up of multiple causes. This gives proof to the arguement for redundant systems, yet when poor workmanship in multiple systems or a large amount of "deferred" items come into play this could and does ultimately lead to major problems and/or disaster. This is the main basis for any arguement of the importance of having technically qualified and trained people perform maint on an aircraft. People that are not trained or qualified do not and can not comprehend the complexity and interaction of the many systems on an aircraft especially those of modern day.

Ualflynhi - "Plnwrk" is, as the acronym implies, work that is planned for the visit. It does NOT show what work "exactly" was or was not accomplished. Deletion of the file for "planned" work after an A/C leaves would actually be a normal occurance. The records of work that was in fact accomplished are NOT viewable to the general populace but are maintained in QA etc. The real interesting part is that now much of that is in a computer base vice the old paper fashion and we ALL know computer records can NEVER be tampered with(satire).

The unfortunate fact is that from the small Cessna 150 owner that has to get an annual inspection done every year to the corporate giants that operate the largest aircraft requiring C-Checks,HMV's etc they only bring the aircraft in for them BECAUSE THEY HAVE TO and they only want one thing; THE PAPERWORK SIGNED OFF regardless of whether the aircraft is repaired or not. If you have doubt ask any aircraft owner you know and he will tell you that when the aircraft is under inspection his main goal is to get the aircraft paperwork SIGNED. Some will tell you that it is important to them that the aircraft be safe. Ask them how if they know and how often they perform "preventative maint." Do they wipe the struts before and after every flight? Do they clean and check the propr before and after every flight? Do they lube all the hinges after they wash the aircraft? Do they get the aircraft repaired immediatley when they discover a minor defect or just say "I will do it at annual."? Then hit them with the big one "What if it means that the parts and labor would cost you say $10K(General Aviation x 1000 for commercial) to repair your aircraft?" You will be surprised at the answers. This is what the A&P are fighting the system about. They are taught to do a job and want to do it right BUT...

aircraft_artificer,

Thank you!!!

Your efforts are appreciated by your peers.
Hopefully, changes will be made before a major
catastrophe (but I doubt it).

Take Care,
:up: UAL_TECH

UAL Tech - No sir thank you for enduring the hardships that are involved with being a licensed A&P technician. I am not surprised that no one else answered though. Most of the public does not realize how much A&P's fight management and even the FAA and keep on fighting day in and day out just to try to keep them safe in the air. So the next time you are out in the wind and rain(we that have been there know that this seems to be the time when the aircraft needs the most work) getting chilled to the bone, remember people are trying to educate the public about air safety it may help warm you up a little. LOL Take care sir.

aircraft_artificer said:
UAL Tech - No sir thank you for enduring the hardships that are involved with being a licensed A&P technician. I am not surprised that no one else answered though. Most of the public does not realize how much A&P's fight management and even the FAA and keep on fighting day in and day out just to try to keep them safe in the air. So the next time you are out in the wind and rain(we that have been there know that this seems to be the time when the aircraft needs the most work) getting chilled to the bone, remember people are trying to educate the public about air safety it may help warm you up a little. LOL Take care sir.
aircraft_artificer,

Funny you mention about fighting management & FAA. Did you see the list of names appointed to help the Gov. revamp the FAA? Airline CEO's. The same guys that send the work out. I read an article about 2 months ago. I don't remember if it was on this board or the media so I don't have all the names. I think Crandall and Mullins were on the list. I didn't see any union names. No AMT representatives.

Gatemech - Yes I did read the article in fact I e-mailed it to many I know. It was also on "our" site that is r operated by the man in NC right now. Talk about having the "Fox watch the Hen House". There are many distractions and many threats levied against mechs. This is why it is imperative that they(we) stay focused when performing maint. The media will jump on any maint related items and it is therefore more important that we ensure the quality of our work.

Segue said:
Rather than attribute it to nationality or race, exactly why do you think that work was done? As for "quality", the safety wiring looks pretty meticulous and intentional. I'm not trying to support it or anything, just curious.
Dude all safety wiring is INTENTIONAL. The question is why was the valve safetied closed. Lack of english comprehension skills, incompitence?

Attachments

• crazy.jpeg
    crazy.jpeg
    6.2 KB · Views: 204
[/QUOTE]Lack of english comprehension skills, incompitence?
That might be incompetence you are referring to....LOL, just kidding, I can't spell either without a spell checker.
I was on a guppy the other day with aft galley lighting problems. Been relamped so I needed a ballast. Got access to it and giggled the harnes a little...what a wonderful spark show. Someone changed it and it wasn't UAL. Funny how it works if you tighten the nuts down :D

The battle is early yet. Reconciliation is coming.

In all actuality it is interesting to note that the OSV work though initially cheaper is more costly in the long run. The OSV per their contract with the company do NOT have to pay for lost revenue or any form of down time costs to the company once the A/C leaves their facility. This is where vigilance AND "DOCUMENTATION" comes into play. Any discrepancy that can be directly attributed to the OSV MUST be documented AND sent to QA(remembering to keep a personal copy) for them to act upon PER THE FAR's and of course the pertinent carriers operating manual. Word of warning though there may be reprocussions to reporting defects from the OSV's; this is of course illegal and would never happen(yeah right). It all depends on where ones convictions lie, or simply How big are they?( I personally use a wheelbarrow). No matter what DOCUMENTATION IS THE KEY AND UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES ARE "casual" CONVERATIONS WITH MANAGEMENT "without" A STEWRAD PRESENT ACCEPTABLE.

This country came about and was predicated from people that were willing to sacrifice for what is right. This is what we as US Citizens were born into and thusley have the right to uphold.

Gents,

Pardon a U person barging in...and rest assured that I have no anti UA bones in my being first and foremost...but I do have a few things to share with you.

My past dealings with OSV in the commuter ranks was always a nightmaree !!! In regards to the old Shorts 360-300 's We at CCAir (DBA) USAir Express , farmed out our heavy checks to FTV Aerospace in BNA.

More often than not...minus a shinney prop spinner and a fresh coat of paint from another OSV...the Acft returned to home base CLT more broken than it departed...and automatic downtown had to be factored in upon it's return. How can this benefit anyones operation????

On another note....I deal with my UA/AOG counterparts in SFO routinely ...and conversations and friendships always develope as it should. In a recent conversation with my UA friends ....I got an ear full on thier gripes about OSV's

I was contacted about your needs for an emergency esacpe slide for an A320 in MCI...I of cource could not help due to no stocking of parts there by U....however to talk rolled to complaints of your companies parts being horded by the OSV's when you had active fleet needs on an emergency basis such as the above.

In this case we both had stock in Mobile Al.......plus we had others up and down the eastern seaboard...The moral being , these jackals act as if they own your property.

I'm hoping that the IAM at U has beaten this mess with OSV farm-outs...and I further hope we can get our four trailer loads of parts back from ST Mobile Aerospace before we have an alike problem.

Best of luck folks.....and I hope our corporate dealings can always benefit us all .

Back