PIT cutting more flights

totobird

Senior
Nov 26, 2002
www.usaviation.com
According to Channel 11 News in PIT, USAirways is cutting more flights with the September schedule. Some of the cuts are seasonal and some are permanent.
Cities affected are....Chicago, Phoenix, Denver, San Diego and Seattle.
I guess the Status Qua told to PIT employees last week at the Town Hall Meeting didn't mean much. :down:
106 flights are being added at the CLT,PHL,PHX and LAS hubs and that is why PIT is being pulled down once again.

According to Channel 11 News in PIT, USAirways is cutting more flights with the September schedule. Some of the cuts are seasonal and some are permanent.
I guess the Status Qua told to PIT employees last week at the Town Hall Meeting didn't mean much. :down:
106 flights are being added at the CLT,PHL,PHX and LAS hubs and that is why PIT is being pulled down once again.

I guess not. So, next time Doogie tells you all something as employees, maybe everyone should view it with skepticism. Honesty is optional for executives.

SEA and SAN were expected seasonal, IIRC.

PHX (3) and ORD (5) are giving way to Southwest (and UA and AA to ORD). Losing one frequency/day.

Denver? Giving way to UA? Down from 2/day to 1/day.

I find the PHX/ORD/DEN cutbacks almost funny. US can't even drive enough traffic over it's own hubs and/or codeshare partner hubs to maintain these flights? The fares to PHX/ORD/DEN are not going to climb by yanking capacity.

What's really disturbing, though, is the pattern--add no capacity and redeploy assets into "more profitable" markets only lasts until a competitor notices and comes to skim the cream. The buildup at CLT and LGA is probably due to the monopoly hub at the former and the general lack of low-cost competition at the latter. PHX, of all places, is losing departures.

This pattern won't work forever.

Clue:
What's really disturbing, though, is the pattern--add no capacity and redeploy assets into "more profitable" markets only lasts until a competitor notices and comes to skim the cream. The buildup at CLT and LGA is probably due to the monopoly hub at the former and the general lack of low-cost competition at the latter. PHX, of all places, is losing departures.
This looks to me like the same type of duck and cover moves of the last two BK's...how many times did U backout of markets this same way?
Are they once again approaching "dire straits"?

Seems like the old adage here is being ignored...those who don't learn from the past are doomed to repeat it....

Frankly, I find this a little crazy. I've been on both the SAN and PHX flights out of PIT several times over the last two months, both times they were solidly booked. I can't quite understand the "say one thing, do another" mentality of this "new" airline. I now live in BOS and frankly the schedules there are not a whole lot better than they are at PIT.

I just totaled my charges from US Airways last night. Since Dec. of 2005 I have spent over $40,000.00 on airline tickets. I think that is pretty good revenue to the airline (lots of PIT-BOS flights at 900.00).

Frankly, its almost as easy to take DL via Cincy anymore, if I am going anywhere other than PIT from BOS. It makes someone like me think very much about changing airlines. I don't want to do it, but I am not going to risk sitting in PHL for three hours on a delay to get to the west coast.

Perhaps PIT was too big at one point, but this continued paring of the schedules (when I see the flights are full) is crazy. I'm not giving up on US yet, but as a US1 customer who has supported this airline for many years, I am very close to moving my business.

One thing people have to understand to make a route profitable is what it makes over the 7 days. I think alot of observations are on the Monday AM or Thursday/Friday PM flights. If a Flight is booked solid on Say Monday, THursday and Friday and maybe 25% full the other days, it is not too profitable. Compare that to another destination that gets people daily (say booked 5 days out of the week and 50-70% full the other 2 days).
I know I have complained about some flights out of ONT, but then flew on an off day and was amazed how empty it was...

Just my 2 cents...