I Don't Understand

Is that kinda like a pilot refusing a plane when the AUTO-PILOT is on MEL?

Kind of like an AMT, wanting to get back to the break room and his card game ,vcr movie, or just kicking back again, and slapping a MEL on the log book. Why go the extra when you have a orange sticker in your back pocket?
As a rule, pilots don't turn down a/c with broken A/P's. Least I never did. If I was heading across the N/A, maybe, no, probably. But that's my call, no yours 700.

Never said it was, and mtc control and management make the decision to either fix it or MEL it, since planes run on a schedule they usually choose the later.

And in my 20 years in aviation I have seen more pilots refuse a plane with a broke A/P then take it.

And sorry I am not an AMT so the call was never mine.

How bought the flight was to be dispatched to a airport that was CAT1 mim., maybe a trend, as me, the c/o, with 27 years with this airline see it, going CAT2, or 3. I don't thing the c/o would be talking this over with you 700. Your nuts and bolts, and boxs. You are not flight. And I'll stand behind any c/o that shoots down a flight. A rare as it is, it always a safty reason. That part of what he's payed to do. Got it?

Sounds like I struck a nerve to me!

I said auto-pilot, nothing about the status of CAT3,2 or 1.

Guess if you actually had to fly the plane, you would not have time to read the newspapers that you obtained by rummaging thru the cabin that the passengers left as trash.

The autopilot is equipment that is paramount for safety. It is hard to scan for traffic in a busy terminal area when you are fixed on the instruments. It is my opinion that an airplane should never be dispatched with an inop autopilot, unless it is to a mx station. It has very little to do with the ability to fly or a pilot's "manlyness", it is purely a safety issue. We can all fly and must demonstrate it to Airline Transport Pilot standards every 6 months (in a simulator).

I think they said the TRANSCON flights would be reduced to meet the O&D traffic for the city, not connecting traffic.

That would still leave a couple of flights for connections, just the capacity wouldn't be based on spoke traffic.

Flight schedules/fleet use to/from hubs is already out of out of whack!

The most obvious misallocation of assets has been going on for years. Worse to come?

Doesn't anyone ever notice the US flight schedule's typical pattern:
The contrast on one hand of flights operating between the west coast and hubs, and on the other hand the flights operating between the hubs and the rest of the system.
Flights to/from the west coast have, in comparison, have less frequency and far more passengers than the non-westcoast flights. It's the norm for a passenger to fly LAX to PIT/PHL/CLT on a flight that is full, only to connect onward to SYR, BOS, DCA, ATL, etc., etc. and find the connecting flight near empty.
Time and again, try to get a seat assigned in advance, if you're lucky maybe a center seat to/from LAX or SFO whereas the flight to an eastern city has window or aisles available.
And this is true with flight availability and booking codes. Flight to/from west coast often if open, only Y or B class is possible. However the system's eastern portion often has all classes open, even X.
I've never understood this, so obvious, misallocation of a fleet. Since most travelers seek and travel with fares booked in classes other than Y or B, if K, L class is open just to/from PHL and JAX, but sold out to SFO, the passenger will go elsewhere and not fly on either of these flights.
This problem has only been worsened by further reductions on one half of the equation.

Aryeh said:
Flight schedules/fleet use to/from hubs is already out of out of whack!

The most obvious misallocation of assets has been going on for years. Worse to come?

Doesn't anyone ever notice the US flight schedule's typical pattern:
The contrast on one hand of flights operating between the west coast and hubs, and on the other hand the flights operating between the hubs and the rest of the system.
Flights to/from the west coast have, in comparison, have less frequency and far more passengers than the non-westcoast flights. It's the norm for a passenger to fly LAX to PIT/PHL/CLT on a flight that is full, only to connect onward to SYR, BOS, DCA, ATL, etc., etc. and find the connecting flight near empty.
Time and again, try to get a seat assigned in advance, if you're lucky maybe a center seat to/from LAX or SFO whereas the flight to an eastern city has window or aisles available.
And this is true with flight availability and booking codes. Flight to/from west coast often if open, only Y or B class is possible. However the system's eastern portion often has all classes open, even X.
I've never understood this, so obvious, misallocation of a fleet. Since most travelers seek and travel with fares booked in classes other than Y or B, if K, L class is open just to/from PHL and JAX, but sold out to SFO, the passenger will go elsewhere and not fly on either of these flights.
This problem has only been worsened by further reductions on one half of the equation.
[post="275710"][/post]​

Ah, but you are missing CCY's point of view ... flights to the West Coast are low-yield, so cut them. Never mind that it decimates the value of the overall network. Cut, cut, cut, that will save the day! :rolleyes:

JS said:
Ah, but you are missing CCY's point of view ... flights to the West Coast are low-yield, so cut them. Never mind that it decimates the value of the overall network. Cut, cut, cut, that will save the day! :rolleyes:
[post="275718"][/post]​
Ah yes, the yield thing! Flights to the west coast are low-yield, they say. Hmm, a passenger flies on a full flight to CLT, then connects to a mainline flight to PHL with thirty people on it? Which flight has the lower yield? And this isn't the exception but fairly typical, day to day thing. Something tells me that the west coast low-yield argument is just a way to excuse their own ineptitude. Eastern markets aren't high yield if the flights are empty. And which region of the route system features GO Fares? Or is which markets is US competing with WN and others? Not the west coast markets.
They just don't have a solid business model. US wants to be more like low-cost carriers, but has first class on most flights, but doesn't on others, yet wants to be international, but also wants to maintain its market share in the east, but it serves both coasts but doesn't fly non-stop to the west coast from many of the eastern cities where it's dominant (BOS, NYC, WAS, others). Sort of a regional but sort of international, and kind of coast to coast but not really.

Latest posts