PIT MAINTENENCE

delldude

Veteran
Oct 29, 2002
Downrange
www.youtube.com
I HEAR WE ARE BRINGING 2 737 C CHECKS TO PIT.ALSO HEARD CLT ENGINE SHOP MAY BE COMING TO PIT.ANYONE CONFIRM?

The C-Checks , Sound like a reasonable possibility?

Closing the CLT Engine Shop would be Brainless. The reason I'm saying this is because the work on our Big Engines is finalized there. CLT is also where the Big Planes get the heavy scheduled maintence ..and scheduled engine changes too.

People might think that Consolidation will save money. I doubt it for a couple of reasons.
(1) The Shop is a shared facilty with our Flight Control Surface Shop...and our Wheel and Brake shop. So there is no money saved by dropping the cost of a facilty.

(2)The cost to move our spare RB211's , CF6's and a PW4168 would be very high. Those engines have to be moved by a private carrier , on Air Cushioned Low-Boy trailers...then there are permits involved ..and restrictions of movement to day-light only , because of thier size.

Then comes all the organic assets having to be moved as well.

I know that 2 management positions were eliminated at the CLT Engine Shop yesterday..and 3rd Shift was abolished a few months ago...So reason for concern is there.

Then Consider that CLT is the Omni-Directional Hub..according to Dave. This gives us range of motion to anywhere we fly..should that shops assets need to be flown somewhere.

But knowing U , as I do, they are likely to be dumb enough to pull this stunt...then we can pay to truck the engines back to the CLT Hangar as needed. I think I'm going to buy stock in a Trucking Company next time around. (LOL)

PIT is getting two C Checks from TPA, but is losing two Q checks, that is old news. That is why PIT lost 180 mechanics from heavy and another 100 to be cut in July 2003. TPA is getting the Airbus HMV, first line July 2003, then second in Jan 2004 with 200 mechanics to be added then.

AOGnIt;
I dont think shipping and engine is that involved. AA ships engines back and forth across the country all the time. Rb 211s and CF-6s. Around two a week from Tule to JFK alone.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/31/2002 10:58:07 PM Bob Owens wrote:

AOGnIt;

I dont think shipping and engine is that involved. AA ships engines back and forth across the country all the time. Rb 211s and CF-6s. Around two a week from Tule to JFK alone.
----------------
[/blockquote]
It's plenty involved when you are hanging by a thread....repositioning our resources for emergencies in the filed is one thing....but to take your assets farther away from where the scheduled work is at is stupid.

there has been talk of doing the engine changes either in pit or phl.then you'd only need one permit for the pa.turnpike.pit hangar4 has an aperture on the door for '57 and '67s.also they are moving the furniture in pit final assy.to open all the QEC bays for use.our planning dept.claimed clt 450 is comming here.time will tell.

WE HAVEN'T DONE A QEC ON A CFM 56-5 FOR MONTHS.THEY WERE DOING A FEW A MONTH BUT ZERO SINCE SPRING.CAN'T BELEIVE THEY'RE THAT RELIABLE.THERES 3 SPARES OUT THERE COLLECTING DUST SINCE MAY OR JUNE.WHAT GIVES HERE?

PHL does the 767 and A330 Engine changes, CLT does the 757, 767 and A330 (767 and 330 only when in for heavy) and PIT does the 737. A320 family has not had scheduled engine changes come up yet.

Reduced thrust (flex) takeoffs, 5 minute engine warm-up, no single engine taxiing, three minute engine cool downs...just that useless pilot stuff. How much is that saving the company??? It is all voluntary...none is required by FARs. How much is a jet engine overhaul...about $3,000,000 + lost revenue. I think these non-required risks have come to an end. If you pay the pilot group less, then they are not compensated to take the risks. Let's run the engines max thrust every time and disregard the cool-down/warm-up. After all, it is extra and not required by the Federal Aviation Regulations. Maybe we should furlough more pilots.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/31/2002 12:44:13 PM DELLDUDE wrote:

I HEAR WE ARE BRINGING 2 737 C CHECKS TO PIT.ALSO HEARD CLT ENGINE SHOP MAY BE COMING TO PIT.ANYONE CONFIRM?
----------------
[/blockquote]

PIT is getting the 737 C checks from TPA, one now and one in about a year. This is to accomodate the Airbus S checks (Q check but for the Airbus fleet) starting in TPA. It looks like (provided that US Airways is still in existance) that CLT will end up doing widebody heavy maintenance, PIT will work the 737 fleet and TPA will work the Airbus narrowbodies. Or that's the story this week.

PIT should see one of TPA's former checks soon (if they haven't already, TPA dropped to one 737 line about a month ago) to accelerate the cockpit door program on the Airbus fleet.

No one can figure out why in PIT we still have 4 line managers and tons of line supervisors. In heavy maintenance hanger 5 they have a manager for each dock. What a waste. The hanger 1 and 2 manager handles 3 or more planes in two hangers.

AOG-IN-IT,

At UA, our engine shop is in SFO and they are constantly trucking engines across country as needed, especially to the IND Overhaul facility. In this day and age, is it really necessary to have duplication, such as 2 engine shops? I realize what you're saying about resources, but I'd be interested to see the cost breakdown of keeping both engine shops open and how much would be saved by closing one of them.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/1/2002 8:02:43 AM pitguy wrote:

No one can figure out why in PIT we still have 4 line managers and tons of line supervisors. In heavy maintenance hanger 5 they have a manager for each dock. What a waste. The hanger 1 and 2 manager handles 3 or more planes in two hangers.
----------------
[/blockquote]

That's pretty scary. We have half that overhead in TPA. There is only one manager for base maintenance, and we are extremely short on supervisors. Often, only one on for three docks and the overnight check at night.