PIT Post Gazette The Best May Be Behind USAirways

EVERY paper in EVERY city does it. It not local to Pittsburgh papers. The Philly paper has written some REEEEAL doozies about good ol' USairways.

I think PARKER will run this place into it's 3rd bankruptcy at the rate they are going!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep and Southwest is filling those PIT-PHL seats with US PIT based F/A and pilot's heading to and from work :lol:

Well thank God for WN then, it's us or the turnpike.

I expect some PIT-PHL flights will end and be moved south to BWI. Better connect times and more options out of BWI.

Also, we are hearing stay away from PHL when non-reving I belive it.

One more thing non rev'd a few times with you all from BWI to PIT several times. Always a good experience.

In all fairness to the paper they only are printing the truth. Though it's hard to read everything isn't all peachie. As for the paper slamming it's "hometown" airline, how did USairways treat the locals of Pittsburgh and surrounding areas? Yeah they hubbed there but charged you throught the nose. I agree that the Post can be a bit harsh but what SHOULD they write about when it comes to Usairways? How they put on ice cream and hot dog parties for us? How they have downgraded their service to crj's against Southwest on PIT-PHL? I mean really. :lol:

Usairways all but built the New airport there thats what they did for the area. All the media ever did was crap on them. Even the one time mayor of pittsburgh proudly said he would fly out of Cleveland to fly on southwest for the cheaper fare.

Usairways all but built the New airport there thats what they did for the area. All the media ever did was crap on them. Even the one time mayor of pittsburgh proudly said he would fly out of Cleveland to fly on southwest for the cheaper fare.

Not true. Just ask anyone in Allegheny County, and the great State of Pennsylvania, they are footing the bill. Back in the early 90's it was all Usair and they had the "If you build it they will come attitude." We build it and Usairways moved to Virgina.

Granted Southwest is not the hometown airline but neither is Usairways. They are just like any other big company who has a presence in Pittsburgh.

Why should the mayor have loyalty to Usairways? His loyalty is to the taxpayer. Cheaper fares save them money.

Finally, IMHO Bad press/Good press doesn't matter. Treat your passengers right and they will be back.

how did USairways treat the locals of Pittsburgh and surrounding areas?

OH BOO HOO...USAIR PUMPED $$$$$$ IN THE LOCAL ECONOMY, REVENUE THAT WAS SORELY NEEDED WHEN ALL THE STEEL MILLS REDUCED THIER WORK FORCES OR SHUT DOWN COMPLETELY. AND WHAT WAS THE POST GAZETTE DOING? BURYING POSITIVE SPIN STORIES ABOUT USAIR ON THE BACK PAGES.
PIT'S DECEASED MAYOR RICHARD CALIGURI (SIC?) ONCE SAID "USAIR WAS THE ONLY AIRLINE BRING QUALITY AIR SERVICE TO PITTSBURGH WHEN OTHER AIRLINES WERE PULLING SERVICE OUT". YEAH, WE REALLY MISTREATED THE LOCALS.

I basically agree with you. The only thing is the news slamming in PIT has been going on for years. We moved to PIT in 86 and I can remember it happening then. In the days of Mr Ed things weren't all that bad especially compared to now. I finally quit getting the Beaver County Times when year after year on the anniversary of 427 they did a full front page recap. When they printed word for word transcripts of the voice cockpit recorder(screams included) I cried. Sometimes they just go overboard.
THEY REALLY DID THAT??? HOW LOW CLASS ! ! !

its called YELLOW JOURNALISM.. they can do that. they are bored nothing going on and you always notice that the news media always goes to the airport when its slow.. because they can catch so many people in a very condensed area for opinion having a bad day etc etc.. the decision US made to downsize PIT was economic and at the expense of the workers. the airport was built for US. numbers speak for themselves.. PHL makes more money. the city brought in WN hip hip hoorah.. and hmmmm they really havent expanded their services too much since.. and then you get jetblue in there.. and they have even stated.. either we get more on the airplane we are leaving.. US will always be the brunt of jokes and bad pubilcity but US has been here for over 60 years providing a essential service to the citizens of PA. .. of course they will complain about us.. theres more to complain because.. WE'VE BEEN THERE LONGER>>.

You forget to mention how all the local and state and federal people went to bat for the big U for adding maintenance and training facilities at PIT only to have Steve and company crap on them after all their efforts.
What the hell do you expect from PGH media?

All the funding was in place and many airport improvements were initiated.....then it went to hell.

its called ECONOMICS.. even i learned that in 8th grade. also its called POLITICS.. that is what you learn when you reach puberty.. The numbers like i said speak for themselves.. Southwest has not in the last 2 years that have been here expanded.. the biggest one... Pittsburgh to Baltimore.. wow..they are not filling the planes for Pittsburgh to Philadelphia.. like i said Jetblue has said fill up the Pittsburgh to Boston and Pittsburgh to JFK otherwise we are out. forget the past.. and forget what PIT promised to US.. that is why US used the UNITED STATES GOVERMENT in BK to start brand new.. US is bringing their OPERATIONS facility to PIT creating 600 jobs.. they could have easily used Phoenix.. you will never see a commitment like that from Southwest or Jetblue or any other upstart for that matter. be happy what you are getting .. poor poor PIT.. what shall we do.. DEFEND THE HOMETOWN GUY>> you will not get another..

btw correction to my last message.. when i mentioned upstart. i meant jetblue not southwest. and yes you will never get a commitment from them like US has for the city of Pittsburgh.

If SWA moves flights to BWI how will that impact the ability of commuters to get to PHL? the amount of PIT commuters seems to be huge. From Mechanics commuting (it seems ) daily to flight crew-does anyone fill the void? It's kind of the ultimate indignaty? to use the airline that"is coming to kill you" or words to that effect from Dave Siegal to get to work. Hope it does'nt get any worse.

Why should the mayor have loyalty to Usairways? His loyalty is to the taxpayer. Cheaper fares save them money.

Finally, IMHO Bad press/Good press doesn't matter. Treat your passengers right and they will be back.
I dont think you know the whole story,whats that (WNbubbleboy) ask some ex USbubbleboys the mayor in PIT doesnt give a damn about the tax payers.US was working with them for new deals,then the gaming came in and the major said good now we dont need USAIR.Its all about him,and taxes not the tax payers.get your facts straight.The post gazzette is a ragg man.Get the Tribune Reveiw for some semi fare press. :down:

GEZUS H CHRIST! I go away for 2 weeks to move from PIT to FLL and it's the same whiney crap. PIT newspapers dump all over US !!

Have you ever read any other hub or focus city newspaper? US takes its fair share of good and bad press from every single newspaper out there. Unfortunately only the negative stories get posted on here and every PIT hater crawls out of the woodwork.

Grow a set and get over it. US sucks and will continue to suck until America West runs it into the ground or it gets sold to the highest bidder.

And no I'm not BITTER!! I don't miss the daily/weekly crap that US has put me through for the past 2 years since Doug took over. 11 years of weekly travel on this airline has come to an end. And I won't miss it or any of my friends that still work for US.

US was once a fine airline now it's a fine mess.

As long as I have seen articles about U in the PIT papers I can't recall a positive article(there has to be some). I was always incredulous that this was the same paper where we once had our HQs. Does the AJC bag as much on DAL? They wanted lower fares and they got them. They wanted expanded service and they got it-as long as you connect through PHL,ATL,DFW,ORD etc. this really is, be careful what you wish for. Did I mention international service?

Have you ever read any other hub or focus city newspaper? US takes its fair share of good and bad press from every single newspaper out there. Unfortunately only the negative stories get posted on here and every PIT hater crawls out of the woodwork.

Grow a set and get over it. US sucks and will continue to suck until America West runs it into the ground or it gets sold to the highest bidder.
Truer words were never spoken (or typed). It is so comical anymore that anytime the 3 letters P-I-T get typed on here that panties nationwide immediately get wadded up into little balls (hence why none of them will ever 'grow a set'). Especially the threads that have nothing to do with PIT, but somewhere along the way those dreaded 3 letters appear and the thread takes a nose dive.

And to hell with the frequent flyers....we've already established how the airline feels about us. But it never ceases to amaze me how so many employees bash PIT to a point that some seem to actually enjoy watching their coworkers lose their jobs (so much for solidarity).

And I love the Politics 101 lessons you get on here from so many that don't know the difference between a Mayor and a County Commissioner. This is just too funny....definitely some opportunity for a case study here.

Latest posts