PIT Post Gazette The Best May Be Behind USAirways

you have choices in air travel we all know that. there is NO loyalty in this business. customers come and go. If an airline has pissed you to many times.. then its time to change. like i said you do have choices. ive said it before.. you get the same customer over and over .. saying.. everytime i fly you i have a problem etc etc. ive flown many other airlines and i hear the same ####.. PIT has had fares lowered thanks to other airlines coming in and trying to fill the void.. nontheless the airplane. the consumer has benefitted. PIT is not unique its all over the world.

So true......and thats exactly why Allegheny County did their best to bring in competition....for the consumer and i'm sure to stick it to U....they stuck it to AC...AC returned the favor.Who knows....in this day and age of LCC's...one may use PIT for a hub down the road....you never say never.

thanks VETERAN. our view is shared by thousands of our co workers and customers. the general public and of course Yellow Journalism newspapers dont focus on the hardship decisions by companies make on the personal and professional lives of the effected worker when there is downsizing. this company is opening a flight ops center to employ up to 600 people.. southwest jetblue airtran etc and down the line. will never make a committment like that to the city of Pittsburg. we could have used Charlotte or Phoenix. A quick example of how city politics was playing out .. everyone thought we would be liquidated and the hub cities was looking and promising the world to every airline around to pick up the slack ..mainly Southwest.. well guess what we made it.. and now Philadelphia has their tail between their legs because southwest is saying... heh you promised me this and you promised me that.. the latest was the promise of more gates.. they came to us begging to negotiate and thats a fact. stay with US.. weve been here over 60 years.. we dont plane to leave. and have provided Essential Air Service to PA communites for many years.. when no one else cared.

Yep and Southwest is filling those PIT-PHL seats with US PIT based F/A and pilot's heading to and from work :lol:

Yea............thank God for them!!!!

If only we could ride J/S, I wouldn't even try to fly on us....we suck!!!!

nice attitude. yes we do suck since the merger with a sub prime airline. but will change.. the real guns yes the east coast US are changing things.. prime example. the RESERVATIONS SYSTEM> if it was so good before merger why are they making changes to it now.. WN in PIT is just a tenant with no intentions of making it big here. they can have all the gates they want.. they dont want them.. the so called SOUTHWEST EFFECT.. yeah right its called... EFFECT THIS.

Correction......the airport was built for USAir....but remember...they never paid for it!! And as for the media, truth hurts.

Oh contrair monfrair...

The airport was built to what U wanted. Yes... But up until the first BK., U had been funding the bond at yearly rates. That was a requirement of state and local governments.

So if you want the truth... You better know the truth...

Just my opinion...

...But it never ceases to amaze me how so many employees bash PIT to a point that some seem to actually enjoy watching their coworkers lose their jobs (so much for solidarity).
It's called a "memory". ORF, GSO, MIA, SYR, BWI--all closed as bases in favor of PIT. And when those things happened, so many based in the Steel City were happy to point out that those whose bases were closed needed to get over it. Economic reality, I recall being told.

PIT was "masterbase" for a very long time. Under old USAir management, it was the golden child--it got all the new toys, could do no wrong, and was coddled at every step; everyone else at the company be damned.

No special case study needed here. Just a memory eraser.

Oh contrair monfrair...

The airport was built to what U wanted. Yes... But up until the first BK., U had been funding the bond at yearly rates. That was a requirement of state and local governments.

Just my opinion...
Up until then who benefited the most from that aiport?

Oh contrair monfrair...

Just my opinion...

County claims against US Airways top $2 billion

Wednesday, April 30, 2003

Allegheny County has added another $594 million to the $1.46 billion in damages local authorities are seeking against US Airways, should the airline stop flying from Pittsburgh.

The county filed claims on Monday in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Alexandria, Va., in response to the decision by US Airways to reject virtually all leases and contracts related to its Pittsburgh operations before coming out of bankruptcy last month.

Last week, the Allegheny County Airport Authority filed claims seeking $1.46 billion in damages from the airline, Pittsburgh's dominant carrier.

The only difference between the county's three filings, called proofs of claim, and those filed last week by the airport authority is $594 million in debt on revenue bonds issued by the county in 1997. The bonds refinanced airport debt dating to construction of the midfield terminal, which opened in 1992. They remained in the county's name even after the shift to the airport authority in 1999.

Claims were filed against US Airways Inc. and subsidiaries Allegheny Airlines Inc. and PSA Airlines Inc. Outside of the $594 million in revenue bond debt, the county claims duplicated those filed by the Airport Authority. With the duplication, each of the county claims topped $2 billion.

However, Allegheny County Solicitor Charles McCullough said any damages earned as a result of the filings would be paid in a single amount to be divided by the county and the airport authority.

He added that the county wanted to do everything in its power to protect its interests should US Airways pull out of Pittsburgh. The airline is seeking lease concessions and $155 million in capital improvements.

"We wanted to do what we could to mitigate any loss here," he said.

Should the county and airport authority damages be allowed, they would be added to a pool of unsecured claims now totaling about $7 billion.

About $11 million in US Airways stock -- or 1.3 cents to 1.8 cents on the dollar -- is available to pay damages on a pro rata basis.

U signed on the dotted line Monsieur,see vous play?

nice attitude. yes we do suck since the merger with a sub prime airline. but will change.. the real guns yes the east coast US are changing things.. prime example. the RESERVATIONS SYSTEM> if it was so good before merger why are they making changes to it now.. WN in PIT is just a tenant with no intentions of making it big here. they can have all the gates they want.. they dont want them.. the so called SOUTHWEST EFFECT.. yeah right its called... EFFECT THIS.

I checked the flights on both airlines say for two weeks from now May 21st both run abouth 93-98 bucks per flight. Non sale flight. WN's internet sale fare price is 39-79 O/W fares.

I remember I checked last year before WN had the PIT-BWI routes to see how much I would have to pay for an ID90 on U and it was around 400 fare or so per flight.

That is a dramatic drop.

Finally, It's good you have pride in your company. Enjoy it while it lasts. Sooner or later this industry will break your heart.

DellDude

U still paid into the long term bond, up until the 1st BK.
The damages were from the lack of money to fincance the rest of the bond.

Just my opinion...

I agree....I remember Allegheny County Pol's scrambling to redo debt financing even to help out U,but in the end U blind sided AC by dumping all those leases the last day at the last minute and made friends forever :lol: here in PIT....Dave Siegel...whata guy.

totally agree. Dave Segiel.. what a total jerk.. but a VERY RICH jerk. he is the NEW FRANK LORENZO of the business. now he is at LSG catering and remember the big london BA shut down last year because of the striking caterers and ground handlers.. well guess what that was the SEIGEL affect.. the English dont take any crap.. unlike the US workers.. but until we elect a democratic president.. our union force will never win.

totally agree. Dave Segiel.. what a total jerk.. but a VERY RICH jerk. he is the NEW FRANK LORENZO of the business.
Actually no, the new Frank Lorenzo of the business is a man known to us all....
Douglas "DUI" Parker
Parker could have been the new Herb Kelleher...too bad he blew it. What an a$$

Latest posts