Pit Sets O & D Record

It's always good news when an airport sees a rise in O&D traffic. If US could cash in on it, that would be great, but it seems that this all happened after US started to cut flights.

18 minutes is not a bad wait time IMO. TSA is running a checkpoint for employees only at PIT over by the County Police office, and it seems to cut down on wait time quite a bit for everyone. Adding more checkpoints actually sounds good if TSA can provide enough agents to man the machines.

Overall, the phrase "The more, the merrier." seems to be the running credo at PIT right now. ACAA should be congratulated for forward thinking and good problem-solving skills.

"There's competition in here. There are lower fares in here and it's generating additional traffic," Airport Authority Executive Director Kent George said.

Robert Hazel, senior vice president and managing partner of Eclat Consulting, an airport authority consultant, said Pittsburgh area residents have tended to fly less in the past because of high fares in a market long dominated by US Airways.

Who first predicted..........

Boy, that "high cost PIT flying" is sure killing those airlines who are driving traffic up.

Majority of airlines in Pittsburgh see passenger boost

"Airlines other than US Airways Group Inc. showed a combined 37.6 percent increase in February 2005 compared to February 2004, according to the Scheduled Airline Traffic Report issued Friday by the Allegheny County Airport Authority."

"Continental showed the largest gain of legacy carriers, reporting an 89.1 percent year-to-date increase (64,612 passengers through February 2005, compared to 34,174 from a year earlier), while United Airlines (74.8 percent), Northwest (66.7 percent) and Delta (10.6 percent) also showed large gains."

Jim

But how can this be? I thought there was no good O&D traffic in PIT, and no money to be made there. That's why U pulled out.

USA320pilot, can you explain this to me???

Bear96:

The reduced PIT schedule is driving up O&D traffic, it's simply supply and demand. Furthermore, reduced ticket pricing due to GoFares and other initiatives; as well as LCC expansion is stimulating traffic.

The US Airways issue is that PIT has a relatively high passenger processing fee that is now over $10 per passenger. For comparison purposes, CLT is about $1.50 per passenger.

Another issue is that PIT would be excess to a corporate combination with a company like United, Northwest, or even America West.

US Airways effectively moved its PIT flying to FLL where the international yields are better. The challenge: fuel prices are eating away at a lot of the savings and forcing the company to further adjust its business plan.

I live and commute from Pittsburgh and do not like the fact the hub/crew base has been downsized, but I understand the reasoning and economics after sitting in a corporate presentation on the decision.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
Bear96:

The reduced PIT schedule is driving up O&D traffic, it's simply supply and demand.
[post="261914"][/post]​
I'll have to get mweiss to explain that one.

An airline reduces flights, which in turn increases traffic? You'll have to connect those dots for me.

Anyways, I think that the point of the articles is that PIT traffic is increasing overall. Just not with U.

Bear96 said:
An airline reduces flights, which in turn increases traffic? You'll have to connect those dots for me.

[post="261917"][/post]​

Less connections to push through PIT means we have to sell the seats to local PIT O&D traffic. Remember most of the flights we dropped probably had little to no local O&D traffic at all. PIT-ERI, PIT-BUF? Not many. Now with the reduction in flight connection opportunitites the PIT people are on the plane and not LAX-PIT-BUF people. ????? :unsure:

USA320Pilot said:
US Airways effectively moved its PIT flying to FLL where the international yields are better. The challenge: fuel prices are eating away at a lot of the savings and forcing the company to further adjust its business plan.

Well, its nice to see that you are no longer claiming that the FLL expansion was due to better utilization of aircraft. If you recall, you were proven wrong on that earlier this year.

Anyways, what is interesting to me is that despite the fact that US Airways still operates PIT in a hub-like manner, and still operates to what I presume to be PIT's largest O&D markets (LAX, Flordia, NYC, BOS, DC, ORD, etc), they are losing local market share. If I recall correctly, the idea was that US Airways would increase its local traffic and decrease its connecting traffic at PIT by realigning service to focus on the local traveller. Looks like US Airways was unsuccessful in this endeavor... Since the number of passengers beginning and ending their trips in PIT on US Airways is declining... Certainly, that situation will become worse on May 4th.

funguy2 said:
Since the number of passengers beginning and ending their trips in PIT on US Airways is declining... Certainly, that situation will become worse on May 4th.
[post="261923"][/post]​
US might maintain the same number of passengers. They will all just be flying at lower fares where US had to match WN.

Bear96 said:
I'll have to get mweiss to explain that one.

Anyways, I think that the point of the articles is that PIT traffic is increasing overall. Just not with U.
[post="261917"][/post]​

US Airways has reduced flights to/from PIT. Previously, IIRC, about 80% of US Airways traffic at PIT was connecting traffic... People coming from BUF and going to LAX (to steal an example). Only 20% of US Airways' traffic started or ended their trip in PIT.

The flights which US Airways dropped at PIT has caused total traffic to be down, due to the lost connections.

However, local traffic is up, due to the LCCs and their low fares.

As I noted, it is interesting that US Airways is losing local market share. Supposedly, that is what the "focus city" concept and GoFares were supposed to prevent. Of course, in my opinion, PIT is still a hub for US Airways, as it still has "spoke" routes like BUF, CMH, etc. Most "focus city" structures have only service to high O&D markets... like NW at IND and MKE... There's no MKE-MSN on NW, there's no IND-EVV on NW... becuase those are designed to feed connections at a hub, not focus on high O&D markets at a focus city.

whlinder said:
US might maintain the same number of passengers. They will all just be flying at lower fares where US had to match WN.
[post="261924"][/post]​

Maybe. But the evidence seems to indicate otherwise. US Airways is already losing market share to the current LCC's (Air Tran, USA3000, AWA, etc). That suggests to me that the trend will continue with added LCC's.

I would bet that part of this "phenomenon" is a BK-induced booking away pattern. I would suspect that some folks in PIT are purchasing other airlines in case US Airways fails, or pulls PIT completely, or to just test the waters as PIT becomes a more competitive market.

USA320Pilot said:
The reduced PIT schedule is driving up O&D traffic, it's simply supply and demand. Furthermore, reduced ticket pricing due to GoFares and other initiatives; as well as LCC expansion is stimulating traffic.

Let's be real: LCC expansion is forcing US to do the "trailing GoFares" routine. Further, US is pretty dumb--if you look at all of the markets LUV is publishing a fare in, US is dumb enough to try to maintain BlowFares (tm) until 4-May, instead of going there immediately with the hopes of heading off LUV's entrance.

O&D traffic is up, and that's before LUV enters. Lousy market, that PIT (noting that the O&D is still greater than one of the two remaining hubs).

The US Airways issue is that PIT has a relatively high passenger processing fee that is now over $10 per passenger. For comparison purposes, CLT is about $1.50 per passenger.

Now let's remind ourselves why: the PIT elders were dumb enough to build the terminal that US demanded (with the threat of leaving) in the early 1990s--basically to suit at an huge cost. US then broke it's leases in the 11th hour of Chapter 11 Volume I, with no warning, and contrary to what they had previously told county and state officials. (and for their effort, they now have LUV at both ends of the state).

Another issue is that PIT would be excess to a corporate combination with a company like United, Northwest, or even America West.

Actually, PIT could be to the east coast what CMH could not for America West--or could have been, before LUV came to town.

Not that it matters. US chunks will be farmed out to the highest bidder--there won't be a merger.

Whoa. It was so profitable that they had to yank Puerto Rico, San Salvador, and Panama less than two weeks after starting service, due to the routes being unprofitable. Bruce Ashby said so. You agreed.

I live and commute from Pittsburgh and do not like the fact the hub/crew base has been downsized, but I understand the reasoning and economics after sitting in a corporate presentation on the decision.

US leaves PIT, moves planes to FLL, pulls routes in operation for less than a month. PIT's O&D is up YOY. LUV (whose management is much, more more able to run a profitable enterprise) decides that the market is one they should enter. Oh, and turned down marketing subsidies.

Perhaps you might want to consider that lesson in reason and economics a case of "what not to do."

Time and again, the various management teams in CCY have proven they have no concept how to form a competitive base. The one area where they all excell, is turning tail and running. Handing over everything to the competition on a silver platter. The current crop of misfits at CCY is no different. Yet they continue to slap each other on the back and hand out those bonus bucks and golden parachutes.