More Flights Out Of Charlotte?

Folks also may be simply looking at destinations served. Remember a lot of AA's traffic is thru SJU, with service from SJU to many other islands.

I'll let someone else pull the numbers ... whether CLT is #1 or #10, it's still a great airport for connecting to the Caribbean. :)

Interesting discussion.

Did some data checking.

AA runs 159 flights a week from JFK to the Caribbean (including Bermuda and Cancun; excluding Caracas). Most all service is on A-300-600s with some 757 and 76 service. A total of 35,298 seats per week heading out of JFK.

US runs 147 flights a week from CLT to the Caribbean (including Bermuda, Cozumel, Belize, and San Jose). Service is mixed with a majority on the A320 family craft. A total of 21,674 seats per week heading out of CLT.

Unless JFK is running a 60% load factor and CLT is 100% full (90% is probably more like it), JFK has to be bigger.

US serves more cities (at least 19 at CLT versus AA's 15 at JFK). But one must also consider that US serves a lot of cities 1x weekly from CLT.

USFlyer said:
I don't think we're looking at the same stats. CLT O&D traffic to the Caribbean is not higher than JFK or MIA. However, what I think is happening is total passengers traveling THRU CLT to the Caribbean is probably greater. Neither JFK nor MIA has as many connecting opportunities as CLT's rather large hub with feed from lots of small and medium-sized cities. JFK is mainly point to point and MIA, while AA does have feed from many cities, is simply not a hub on the order of DFW or ORD, for example.
JFK O/D traffic is certainly higher.

I agree that the way AA has configured its JFK outbounds, it really isn't a very good connecting gateway for the Caribbean. It used to be from the major cities.

A couple years back we had one guy in the office doing some work in Jamaica. He would take the morning Eagle flight from DCA to JFK, lay over about 50 minutes and than take the non-stopper from JFK to KIN. I think AA has since dropped that flight, but it was doable a year or two ago.

ITRADE said:
Interesting discussion.

Did some data checking.

AA runs 159 flights a week from JFK to the Caribbean (including Bermuda and Cancun; excluding Caracas). Most all service is on A-300-600s with some 757 and 76 service. A total of 35,298 seats per week heading out of JFK.

US runs 147 flights a week from CLT to the Caribbean (including Bermuda, Cozumel, Belize, and San Jose). Service is mixed with a majority on the A320 family craft. A total of 21,674 seats per week heading out of CLT.

Unless JFK is running a 60% load factor and CLT is 100% full (90% is probably more like it), JFK has to be bigger.

US serves more cities (at least 19 at CLT versus AA's 15 at JFK). But one must also consider that US serves a lot of cities 1x weekly from CLT.
ITrade there are only four destinations that are once a week, LaRomana, St Kitts, Antigua and St Croix.

San Jose, Costa Rica is four or three times a week.

During the week there are Three SJU, Two NAS, Three CUN, two MBJ and the rest are once a day, on Saturday there is an extra GCM flight.

Once a day would be STT, AUA, PUJ, PLS, FPO, MEX, CZM, BZE and SXM.

And the average load factor is in the high 90%, CUN is 100% numerous times.

Today from Charlotte to the Carribean there were 20 flights.

I believe that is correct

True, but most of the second flights to a destination (i.e., AUA) run the second flight as a once a week flight - Saturday only. NAS, AUA, and GCM all do that. MBJ does that during off season.

The flight count should be 19 or so. I haven't counted Mexico City as Caribbean.

700UW said:
Go check your information, CLT is NOW the #2 gateway city to the Carribean.

http://www.usairways.com/about/corporate/p...s/caribbean.htm
No, it is not. Miami is the largest and New York City/JFK is second largest. JFK has more daily flights to San Juan and Santo Domingo combined than Charlotte does to all of the Caribbean, and most of those JFK-SJU/SDQ flights are on widebodies. San Juan is the third largest gateway.

700UW said:
ITrade there are only four destinations that are once a week, LaRomana, St Kitts, Antigua and St Croix.

San Jose, Costa Rica is four or three times a week.

During the week there are Three SJU, Two NAS, Three CUN, two MBJ and the rest are once a day, on Saturday there is an extra GCM flight.

Once a day would be STT, AUA, PUJ, PLS, FPO, MEX, CZM, BZE and SXM.

And the average load factor is in the high 90%, CUN is 100% numerous times.

Today from Charlotte to the Carribean there were 20 flights.

I believe that is correct
Those frequencies don't even compare to JFK's. This summer, AA is running up to seven daily JFK-SJU flights. All but one of those are on 260+ passenger A300s. Then there are the up to four daily JFK-STI rotations and four daily JFK-SDQ flights, all on A300-600s as well.

MAH4546 said:
JFK has more daily flights to San Juan and Santo Domingo combined than Charlotte does to all of the Caribbean, and most of those JFK-SJU/SDQ flights are on widebodies. San Juan is the third largest gateway.
Now that is 100% incorrect. AA has 7x daily to SJU and 3x daily SDQ.

US has 19x to the Caribbean.

Itrade, if you don't count MEX there were 19 flights today, and for the past month or so MBJ is twice daily everyday.

NAS operates Twice Daily all during the week as always.

700UW said:
Itrade, if you don't count MEX there were 19 flights today, and for the past month or so MBJ is twice daily everyday.

NAS operates Twice Daily all during the week as always.
True, but there is a third flight.

US Airways 652 CLT NAS 230P 435P 0 319 .....S.

Saturday only.

EWR is actually up there for CO as well, with just above 150 weekly frequencies (somewhere in the neighborhood of 157 but it's hard to reliably count from their timetable) to 23 destinations:

BQN, ANU, AUA, BGI, BZE, BDA, CUN, GCM, CZM, FPO, KIN, MBJ, NAS, POP, PUJ, SJO, SJU, SAP, STI, SDQ, SXM, STT, and POS. Granted, NAS and FPO get ERJ's, but CO is also sending 762's and 764's to SJU & SDQ, not to mention 753's to a number of places. And there's a rumor floating around that they may start PSE.

Delta has around 100 weekly frequencies (slightly less for summer) from ATL with larger average gauge (738's, 757's, 767's) as well; I'm a bit surprised that they haven't tried to expand more to the Caribbean given that it's been a moneymaker for US and given that Delta has been pressuring US Airways in other markets. Just be thankful they haven't.

The Transformation Plan envisions new domestic point-to-point flying is planned from US Airways’ key Northeast cities to larger domestic markets, which can support O&D traffic with higher yields and load factors.

The top ten U.S. domestic O&D markets in regard to revenue are New York, Washington, D.C., Chicago, Los Angeles, Dallas, Atlanta, San Francisco, Boston, Denver, and Houston. Interestingly, Philadelphia is number twelve, Charlotte is number fifteen, and Pittsburgh is number sixteen. In addition, the company plans on operating flights from US Airways key Northeast cities to all key leisure markets with Low Cost Carrier (LCC) type aircraft turn times and utilization.

The plan envisions expanding European and Caribbean service, with potential new transatlantic routes from Philadelphia to Star Alliance hubs of Warsaw (LOT Polish Airlines), Vienna (Austrian Airlines), Oslo & Copenhagen (SAS Scandinavian Airlines), and Birmingham (BMI). Note - BMI’s main operational base is London’s Heathrow airport.

US Airways will maintain its Charlotte to London and Frankfurt flights and with 15 Philadelphia transatlantic flights in the summer of 2005, the company will have 19 widebody aircraft to support 17 flights (9 A330s and 10 B767s).

There will be new Caribbean routes and possible Latin American expansion to San Salvador, Guatemala City, and Panama City.

Regards,

USA320Pilot