Pit Transatlantic Flights Going To Bos?

trans atlantic flights in boston cannot be done at the terminal in bos only departing
incoming must go thru terminal E only customs there alot of repo of a/c there
and that means only pilots or mechanics can do it, and from past experince of moving a/c there its not a easy thing

But theres a difference between EOW equipped and ETOPS equipped. EOW is Extended Over Water. ETOPS is Engines Turn Or People Swim.

Actually I cant remember what ETOPS stands for. But there is a difference. CO's 757s are ETOPS, ours are EOW.

Light Years said:
But theres a difference between EOW equipped and ETOPS equipped. EOW is Extended Over Water. ETOPS is Engines Turn Or People Swim.

Actually I cant remember what ETOPS stands for. But there is a difference. CO's 757s are ETOPS, ours are EOW.
ETOPS = Extended Twin-engine Operations -- as the rules were orginally introduced when operators wanted to introduce the 767 and A310 on transatlantic routes. Now we have the 777 crossing the pacific.

Lots of heated discussion going on between Airbus, Boeing, FAA and other regulators on new versions of the rules and whether they should apply specifically to twins or any extended range overwater operations. Naturally, Airbus is opposed to anything that diminishes the advantage the A340 has for certain long haul routes (e.g., SIN LAX, SIN NYC) by not having to remain within 120 mins of an alternate (the original reasoning being that if one engine goes it has 3 left, unlike a twin, which is left to limp home with one.) Naturally, Boeing wants common criteria across all long-haul types so the 7E7 and 777-200LR can compete on an equal footing.

Light Years said:

... which all begs the question, if US has all the EOW equipment, what does it need to do to get ETOPS rated. IIRC (but several on the board are more qualified than I am on this) they would have to designate which aircraft they would use for ETOPS operations and then demonstrate to the FAA the desired level of reliabiliaty (I assume focused on engine shutdowns and some other critical systems) as well as having certain key processes certified. I assume US is knowledgible on this with its 767 and A330 ops, but it's probably, fairly costly and hassle and a distraction to do this for some 757s too.

Extended over the water operations. ETOPS. 700 is right. The 757's have rafts and such. That's why they can fly to AUA, etc.
My lumppy 737 can fly USA to Europe with no problem. Except the flight plan would be BOS, YQX, OZN, KEF, then STN. In other words, over some part of land for most of the way. Because the engines and cockpit navigation stuff is not cert. to fly something like the great circle route to STN. Plus the a/c doesn't have the range to do it anyway. So it's moot with the 737.
Our 757's have the range, but they are not ETOPS cert. So they too could not fly the NAT tracks across the North Atlantic. Sure, we can get the certification, but many $$$$$$$$.
Having said that, BOS has the room to put in customs under the Shuttle wing. BOS
in the summer can fill a plane going pretty much anywhere in Europe. SNN and DUB come to mind. VSM, going on to LIS would haul a bunch of p/xs too.
But I'm getting ahead of myself!

How many 757s are there currently? About 20? If it was possible it would be great for fleet utilization- Airbus narrowbodies take over 757 routes, 737s take over short Airbus routes, Embraers and RJs take over 737 routes, and the overall stage length is increased by the 757s crossing the pond.

It would also be a great way to build markets over there in preparation for the A330-200s, seek out some secondary markets to complement the big ones, take advantage of Star feed, and increase service in an area of strength not infested with LCCs.

It'll never happen but if it did and was done the right way it could be interesting.

I don't think any of our 757's are new enough or reliable enough to invest in making them etops capable. I believe it would be cheaper, safer and less risky to our reputation for providing pretty good international service to lease a few additional etops capable 767's. I know of several instances of 757 needing to devert to SJU for mtc. while trying to fly to St. Martin, and I doubt that their dispatch reliability domestic is much better.

Anything is possible. It just takes cash. This company has to generate cash, enough cash, or else everything on this thred, or all the others is just a pipe dream.

Last winter Dave Siegel told the First Officer and I on the jump seat that the company evaluated B757 transatlantic service, but the airline now believes in today’s environment used B767-200s obtained “on the cheapâ€￾ would provide better economics.

Regards,

USA320Pilot