Please fully explain System Protection, have questions?

What happened when UAL closed down IMC and OAK? There was only so much room at the inn in SFO. IIRC, IMC had a lot of junior AMT's and OAK was fairly senior. Probably not unlike a comparison of MCI and AFW.

Yes, we lost the $5.00 an hour license pay but are still on AMT scale. We have all been at top out like everyone else for years now.

What happened when UAL closed down IMC and OAK? There was only so much room at the inn in SFO. IIRC, IMC had a lot of junior AMT's and OAK was fairly senior. Probably not unlike a comparison of MCI and AFW.

Not sure about now, but UAL did have STATION seniority. It used to be that a senior mechanic could transfer to another station and become the junior mechanic there.

Thats the way it should be with all airlines.

Well, depends who you talk to. I will tell you this, it does discourage transfers.

But do you think it's fair that, say, a 35 year employee transfers to a base and is now junior to a one year employee?

Maybe the most junior pilots should become captains right away and the most senior pushed to the right seat.

Yes we can bid AMT jobs at other stations. I have not because my home and family is in Tulsa and the cost of living here is dirt cheap, that is why I have been waiting it out until I get my license premium back when I get called back to the dock.....if it ever happens. I along with hundreds of others have been waiting for over 5 years.
A good test would be to put yourself on the transfer list in jetnet careers and see where you fall on the transfer list totem pole. I bet you fall in the change of classification group on payroll which means they do not recognize you as an AMT for transfer (and probably bumping) purposes. Need to talk to talent services about your options in a rif in your current situation. They are who will decide not the TWU contract. As someone pointed out earlier in the last big rif the system protection date was changed. Good luck.

Not sure about now, but UAL did have STATION seniority. It used to be that a senior mechanic could transfer to another station and become the junior mechanic there.

Not intended to be a slam, but AMFA was the CBA at the time, and they allowed that to happen?...

Well, depends who you talk to. I will tell you this, it does discourage transfers.

But do you think it's fair that, say, a 35 year employee transfers to a base and is now junior to a one year employee?

Maybe the most junior pilots should become captains right away and the most senior pushed to the right seat.

This sounds grueling and I'm sorry you folks have to suffer this. Seems to me that THE BEST way to do this is let go the bottom 700 wherever they may be based and let the the remainder qualified AMTs bid for openings and carry their seniority with them so the worst that may happen is number 1 at a station may end up being number 2 or3.

It may take a little longer and it isn't perfect but it would hurt less.

This sounds grueling and I'm sorry you folks have to suffer this. Seems to me that THE BEST way to do this is let go the bottom 700 wherever they may be based and let the the remainder qualified AMTs bid for openings and carry their seniority with them so the worst that may happen is number 1 at a station may end up being number 2 or3.

It may take a little longer and it isn't perfect but it would hurt less.

Agree. That's the approach you'll see with flight and flight service.

If necessary, shift the workload to the more senior stations.

Not intended to be a slam, but AMFA was the CBA at the time, and they allowed that to happen?...

Nope, sorry, Eric,...

That has been in place as far back as the 70's at least...Had an old buddy work for them in late 70s transferred JFK to SFO and went to the bottom...can't blame AMFA,,,sorry..

If I've got this Right,....the Topic Starter,.................Is already in TUL,(with family and home) as a fairly junior AMT.

If it were me(with the lower costs in OKLA., I'd take the street(W/recall rights), and watch what happens in the next few years.

I believe the Contract still allows for a member to be out 5 years, before LOSS of Job/seniority.

???

Nope, sorry, Eric,...

That has been in place as far back as the 70's at least...Had an old buddy work for them in late 70s transferred JFK to SFO and went to the bottom...can't blame AMFA,,,sorry..

I'm not surprised that it dates that far back under the IAM.

My point is that AMFA allowed station seniority to trump system seniority when the IMC and OAK closings took place. Surely, they could have instituted a change to protect the senior guys at a system level, since they control what seniority is used with regard to RIF's, not the company.

A good test would be to put yourself on the transfer list in jetnet careers and see where you fall on the transfer list totem pole. I bet you fall in the change of classification group on payroll which means they do not recognize you as an AMT for transfer (and probably bumping) purposes. Need to talk to talent services about your options in a rif in your current situation. They are who will decide not the TWU contract. As someone pointed out earlier in the last big rif the system protection date was changed. Good luck.

We are job code 9442S which reads AMT/OSM 2 LICENSE FT.

OSM job code is 9350 which reads SHOP REPAIR PERSON FT.

We are on the mechanic list showing working in an OSM shop. We are not OSM's nor do we get paid their scale. These job codes were created after last RIF. We can bid AMT jobs just not in Tulsa due to we are on Tulsa RIF. My system protection is early 1997. Non-system protected employees is 9/24/08.

I'm not surprised that it dates that far back under the IAM.

My point is that AMFA allowed station seniority to trump system seniority when the IMC and OAK closings took place. Surely, they could have instituted a change to protect the senior guys at a system level, since they control what seniority is used with regard to RIF's, not the company.

AMFA was not on the property when the closings occured.

B) xUT