Political Change

KC ...firmly disagree...NO American President would have sat on his/her hands after the most shocking attack in US history since Pearl Harbor...The proper and rightful thing is retaliation against those responsible, pure and simple...Would you have said that JFK would have handled the Cuban Missile Crisis differently if Nixon had won in 1960?

Ya know, when the 9/11 (incidentally my BDay) events happened last year, in short order an ardent GOPer came up to me and said Dont you think Bush is doing a great job handling this...You see its fortuitous he won and I was like Well, compared to what? Do you really believe Gore or Clinton would have handled it any differently? No way! This is not to discredit GWB, just to point out certain realities, even if we are discussing them hypothetically (did that make sense or should I take another swig?)

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 12/3/2002 8:45:51 AM JI Guy wrote:
[P]Do you really believe Gore or Clinton would have handled it any differently? No way! This is not to discredit GWB, just to point out certain realities, even if we are discussing them hypothetically (did that make sense or should I take another swig?)[/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P]To be perfectly honest...yes I'm afraid I do believe Gore would have handled it differently. We'd still be searching our inner self to determine what we could have done to cause this to happen. Hey...I even VOTED for Gore, but when 9/11 happened, I was pretty damn glad Bush was sitting in that office. [/P]

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 12/3/2002 9:30:14 AM JI Guy wrote:
[P]Would you have said that JFK would have handled the Cuban Missile Crisis differently if Nixon had won in 1960?[/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P][/P]I guess he would have...If Nixon would have won, JFK's comments about the handling of a situation would have about as much value as Al Gores have had about Bush's handling of the economy. Who is to say, but I don't think that Gores actions after 9/11 would have been nearly as decisive as Bush was. [BR][BR]Touching on the economy, I sometimes wish that there were some sort of time altering machine that could take us back to an event and change players to see how things would have worked out. Al's been pretty vocal about how GWB has mishandled the economy. I tend to believe that the status of the overall economy is not a day to day event, but rather the culmination of events that heppened much earlier. Bush happened to be elected as these events reached their peak. I don't think Al could have done much better. [BR][BR]Yes, you've got the Enron's and Worldcom's failing under Bushes watch, but I really doubt that the miscalcualtions that caused their downfall was caused by the policies of the Bush Administration...they brewed nicely under Clinton's watch. To think that the economy can be turned in the few short months following the presidential election is like thinking that the USS Enterprise (aircraft carrier, not starship) can be turned around at full steam and headed the opposite direction in less than a hundred yards.

And I agree KC, but I also submit politicos cant have it both ways...You cant slam Carter for an oil crisis recession and then claim mitigating events should exonerate this administration...

Mary Landrieu in 02!!!!!!! SHE WON!!!!!!!!!! The challenger, Suzie Terzell, looked crestfallen at her concession speech. Bushies thought she had the momentum and was going to win.

Latest posts