Aug 20, 2002
Stock News : Transportation
Email This Story Print This Story

JetBlue's Growing Old Fast

By Ted Reed
TheStreet.com Staff Reporter
1/6/2006 7:04 AM EST
Click here for more stories by Ted Reed

For a young, enthusiastic, fast-growing leader of the low-cost carriers that now dominate the airline industry, almost nothing could be worse than maturity.

Yet JetBlue Airways (JBLU:Nasdaq - commentary - research - Cramer's Take), which began flying in February 2000, is growing old before our eyes.

The carrier's stock is trading about 5% below its 2005 close, thanks largely to start-of-the-year downgrades by analysts at Merrill Lynch and Raymond James. Both said the stock price has gotten ahead of where it should be.

A key reason, said Merrill Lynch, which has a banking relationship with JetBlue, is that "the company may be experiencing growing pains (that include) rising costs related to the maturation of the company."

The problems with maturation in the airline industry are multiple. The cost of labor goes up as workers become more senior. Route expansion often progresses from the most desirable routes to less desirable ones, and maintenance costs can increase precipitously as aircraft require their first heavy maintenance checks after operating for several years.

Vivian Lee, an aviation analyst for Alliance Capital, which doesn't hold JetBlue stock, says that all new airlines start out with a "maintenance vacation" from the hefty checks that can cost a few million dollars per aircraft. A vacation's impact can be prolonged by rapid growth, because high maintenance costs would initially affect a relatively small percentage of an evolving airline's fleet. But eventually, all vacations must come to an end.

JetBlue is burdened with all the phenomena of aging at the same time as fuel costs have risen and competition has stiffened. In the third quarter, as operating expenses rose 46.1% from the same quarter a year earlier, operating income declined to $13.8 million, down 38.4%. Net income of $2.7 million came about largely from a tax-accounting benefit of $6.4 million, a result of reduced tax expectations since the company no longer believes it will make a profit this year.

Go to NEXT PAGE

PART 2
Page 2

"I would argue that JetBlue actually lost money in the third quarter," said Lee. CEO David Neeleman called the quarter difficult, as a result of high fuel costs, bad weather and tough competition. The airline said it would report a loss for the fourth quarter and the year.

Rising maintenance costs are likely to increase the burden on the company, which operates a fleet of 85 Airbus A320 jets. Heavy maintenance requirements begin after several years of operation, with the exact interlude determined by the usage of the airplane.

In fact, in the third quarter JetBlue's maintenance costs rose to $19.8 million, up 72% from the same period a year earlier. That followed a full-year 2004 increase of 94% to $44.9 million. The airline took delivery of 10 jets in 2000, 11 in 2001, and 16 for each of the past four years. In 2005, it also received its first seven Embraer 190s, a second aircraft type that it plans to deploy in markets too small for A320 service.

JetBlue has warned repeatedly that aircraft maintenance outlays will rise. "Our maintenance costs will increase significantly, both on an absolute basis and as a percentage of our operating expenses, as our fleet ages and (our) warranties expire," the company said in its 2004 annual report. But investors may not have been listening.

JetBlue should have been a Wall Street darling for many years after it went public, says analyst Lee. Instead, she said, "it is looking more like a legacy carrier and less like Southwest Airlines far faster than most would have imagined at its IPO only three and a half years ago."

TheStreet.com Staff Reporter
1/6/2006 7:04 AM EST
Click here for more stories by Ted Reed

For a young, enthusiastic, fast-growing leader of the low-cost carriers that now dominate the airline industry, almost nothing could be worse than maturity.

Yet JetBlue Airways (JBLU:Nasdaq - commentary - research - Cramer's Take), which began flying in February 2000, is growing old before our eyes.

The carrier's stock is trading about 5% below its 2005 close, thanks largely to start-of-the-year downgrades by analysts at Merrill Lynch and Raymond James. Both said the stock price has gotten ahead of where it should be.

A key reason, said Merrill Lynch, which has a banking relationship with JetBlue, is that "the company may be experiencing growing pains (that include) rising costs related to the maturation of the company."

The problems with maturation in the airline industry are multiple. The cost of labor goes up as workers become more senior. Route expansion often progresses from the most desirable routes to less desirable ones, and maintenance costs can increase precipitously as aircraft require their first heavy maintenance checks after operating for several years.

Vivian Lee, an aviation analyst for Alliance Capital, which doesn't hold JetBlue stock, says that all new airlines start out with a "maintenance vacation" from the hefty checks that can cost a few million dollars per aircraft. A vacation's impact can be prolonged by rapid growth, because high maintenance costs would initially affect a relatively small percentage of an evolving airline's fleet. But eventually, all vacations must come to an end.

JetBlue is burdened with all the phenomena of aging at the same time as fuel costs have risen and competition has stiffened. In the third quarter, as operating expenses rose 46.1% from the same quarter a year earlier, operating income declined to $13.8 million, down 38.4%. Net income of $2.7 million came about largely from a tax-accounting benefit of $6.4 million, a result of reduced tax expectations since the company no longer believes it will make a profit this year.

Go to NEXT PAGE

PART 2
Page 2

"I would argue that JetBlue actually lost money in the third quarter," said Lee. CEO David Neeleman called the quarter difficult, as a result of high fuel costs, bad weather and tough competition. The airline said it would report a loss for the fourth quarter and the year.

Rising maintenance costs are likely to increase the burden on the company, which operates a fleet of 85 Airbus A320 jets. Heavy maintenance requirements begin after several years of operation, with the exact interlude determined by the usage of the airplane.

In fact, in the third quarter JetBlue's maintenance costs rose to $19.8 million, up 72% from the same period a year earlier. That followed a full-year 2004 increase of 94% to $44.9 million. The airline took delivery of 10 jets in 2000, 11 in 2001, and 16 for each of the past four years. In 2005, it also received its first seven Embraer 190s, a second aircraft type that it plans to deploy in markets too small for A320 service.

JetBlue has warned repeatedly that aircraft maintenance outlays will rise. "Our maintenance costs will increase significantly, both on an absolute basis and as a percentage of our operating expenses, as our fleet ages and (our) warranties expire," the company said in its 2004 annual report. But investors may not have been listening.

JetBlue should have been a Wall Street darling for many years after it went public, says analyst Lee. Instead, she said, "it is looking more like a legacy carrier and less like Southwest Airlines far faster than most would have imagined at its IPO only three and a half years ago."

IS THE FARES ADD DAVE

Exactly. He wanted to be a low-fare, low-cost airline, and has certainly achieved the first goal. The fares are low, in part, due to the tremendous capacity he and WN have added in the past 4 years without corresponding reductions in domestic capacity by the legacies.

ADD Dave said B6 could be profitable with oil at high prices. The high prices came, and it turned out he was wrong. Whatta surprise. I never liked Soros, so it doesn't pain me that his darling airline is starting to age (and show it).

Could the 'Litt'l Darling' also be subjected to paying for terminal RENT (JFK has never been a favourite of mine, but when its given to you, you USE It)the customer base has expanded and NOW the novelty has worn off, Big BLUE has delays and to their credit they STILL have a SNACK BASKET!?

I'll take B6 problems over the problems that the rest of the legacy carriers have any day of the week!

Ted Reed is a joke....he was a reporter for the Charlotte Destroyer, I mean Observer for years. Never reported one thing that came true.

B6 has growing pains right now. David said B6 could make money with high fuel, but fuel was the equivalent of $120/bbl of oil in October which caused Jet A to be @ $3/gal......no airline can make money with the fares out there with that kind of outlay for gas. That alone knocked $ 35 mil out the window.

The rest of the equation for the loss will likely be the fact that the hurricane knocked the crap out of the middle of Florida again and with so many of their ASM's to FLL, you are looking at another hole they have to dig out of for the 4th Q.

When the smoke clears, we will see who lost what last quarter. Then you can gloat all you want.

Boomer

Maybe jetblue can grow up and be like the big boys, you know be declaring ch.11 left and right, sometimes twice in as many years or perhaps we could work on losing a billion dollars in a quarter.

Nah, I will galdly take the current jetblue predicament over so many others!

I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Bob, you should know better than to get too excited by what some "analyst" writes. We've heard a lot of good and bad stuff written about us. Most of it is pure, unadulterated cow dung, as is most of the garbage these people write.

Thanks for contributing nothing....again. Oh and by the way GO LONGHORNS!!!!! Way to choke USC. :up: :lol: :D

Typical Kool-Aid drinker...Jumping on the bandwagon. I doubt you where even a Longhorn fan, until the end of the 4th quarter. Get a life! :rolleyes:

Typical Kool-Aid drinker...Jumping on the bandwagon. I doubt you where even a Longhorn fan, until the end of the 4th quarter. Get a life! :rolleyes:

Well seeing how I got my Masters Degree there I am a fan. Besides dating a few USC football players I doubt you have any association to USC.
Never been a kool-aid drinker never will.

HOOK 'EM Horns.......GO LONGHORNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:up: :D :up:

Well seeing how I got my Masters Degree there I am a fan. Besides dating a few USC football players I doubt you have any association to USC.
Never been a kool-aid drinker never will.

HOOK 'EM Horns.......GO LONGHORNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:up: :D :up:

I received my Bachelors and then I attended Marshall School of Business and received my Masters. No, I don't date football players. Just because I am a flight attendant, doesn't mean I didn't go to college. I also have a business of my own, so flying is not a priority for me, unlike yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts