Pope to Travel on American

jimntx

Veteran
Jun 28, 2003
Dallas, TX
From Jetnet:

Pope to travel in America on American
American will transport Pope Francis to New York, Philadelphia and back to Rome starting later this week. The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops has chartered one of our Boeing 777-200 aircraft, and teams from across the airline have been working on the logistics. Stay tuned to Jetnet for more information on this historical trip.

Did they clear this with WT?

700UW said:
TWA use to fly the Pope all the time.
True, but I wonder if that had more to do with the fact that TWA and Pan Am both had cabotage rights to fly between European countries.

FrugalFlyerv2.0 said:

More importantly, what will AA do if they have to re-book now that they don't interline with DL?
:p
Well, the Pope likes to be seen as a man of the people; so, I'm sure he won't mind a leg or two in the U.S. on Greyhound.  And, maybe by the point where it is time to go home, we'll have a working airplane that can cross the Atlantic.

I hope he gets on 10 minutes before departure or else they'll close the door on him and have to rebook him on the next available as a revenue standby.

Yep. Any site is only as good as the members collectively make it.

As for the Pope, Airways or Airliners (can't remember which) had a pretty cool article a few years back talking about all the work that went into getting TW flights ready for him...

TWA has a special cabin mod for its 747s and 767s for the Pope, I remember the article Kevin.

700UW said:
TWA has a special cabin mod for its 747s and 767s for the Pope, I remember the article Kevin.
Yes they did. And I am sure that if the Vatican wanted a special cabin, they would have gotten in from AA. 

From Jetwire:

[SIZE=11pt]Ready to transport Pope Francis[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]This week, American has the honor of transporting Pope Francis from Washington, D.C., to New York, Philadelphia and back to Rome. The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops has chartered a Boeing 777-200 aircraft – which will use call sign Shepherd One – to carry the Pontiff.[/SIZE]
(Had to delete the rest of the post (one sentence) because it contained a link to inside Jetnet.)

Back