Price Of Gas

Isn't there anyone out there who thinks they should raise the gas prices? :eek: (I'm sure you all hate me for that comment) The world supply is running out fast (this according to my professor for a Resource and Environmental Management class I took) and we don't have many viable alternatives yet... I guess I am just one of those rare hopefuls that thinks that the higher the prices get, the more people will use fuel conservatively (take the bus, bike, and walk), and the better chances alternative energy sources will be available before it does run out, because of the pressure. Who knows, maybe once they get crackin'on the ballard fuel cell in cars, we might soon see it in airplanes... now there's a thought. Doesn't anyone care about global warming, etc.?

If that MagSeal doesn't cut his holidays short and quick we are all going to break the bank... :eek: :rant:

Originally posted on Aug 8 2004, 02:51 AM by sweetlilsky .
Isn't there anyone out there who thinks they should raise the gas prices?

If the Americans, that consume 27% of the world oil being 5% of its population would move to European standards of consumption, they would slash their consumption by close to 50% (13.5% of World oil output) more than enough to cover all the expected increase in oil spending from Chine and India.

Oil cartel Opec is pumping a record 30 million barrels a day, and could boost that by another 1-1.5 million barrels if needed, its president has said.

Opec production at '25-year high'

All countries in Europe with prices above US$5.00 per US Gallon. Netherlands with it above US$6.00 per US Gallon...

(see bottom of page)

Weekly Retail Premium Gasoline Prices in Europe (Including Taxes)

well, if more people opt for public transportation, than public transportation needs to expand...alot.
If more people buy small fuel efficient vehicles, then, more companies will need to put delivery vehicles into the line-up to deliver those comodities, imagine Sobeys with a fleet of vans to deliver groceries to those families who cannot fit all their eggs and lettuce into the car with themselves.
Either way, I don't think saving with one mode is going to help when the another mode needs to replace it.

The way we live has more to do with convenience than with anything else.
One good thing with high oil prices is that more exploration is done to find more reserves. It's also sad that alot of available oil is in some pretty nasty places with alot of turmoil, but it's OK, Mr Bush will guarantee that the free world has access to it eventually.
Besides, I have heard that they have made quite a bit of headway with used cooking oil as an alternative fuel source. I bet America alone, with it's fascination with deep fried foods, could all by itself support the whole world with that alternative source.

And please stop with the comments that the worlds supply is running out fast. My beer fridge is getting empty, but that doesn't mean that Molson's isn't working on another batch as we speak to ensure I don't run out.

MagSeal said:
And please stop with the comments that the worlds supply is running out fast. My beer fridge is getting empty, but that doesn't mean that Molson's isn't working on another batch as we speak to ensure I don't run out.

OK so I will just keep you updated on how much it will cost you in the future to keep your beer cool in your fridge :huh:
Of course and to run on your V8 too... :boring:

LONDON, UK - 2004 August 10.
The price of crude oil is hovering around record-breaking peaks after unrest in Iraq halted production.
US light crude rose to $44.99 overnight, a 21-year record high, before edging back to $44.74 on Tuesday

Analysts have said supplies already are overstretched and any disruption may mean that demand outstrips supply.
... ... ...
Mitsubishi's Mr Nunan warned that oil prices could rise to $50 a barrel if supply problems persist.

BBC News - 2004 August 10 - Oil prices surge to record highs

The price of crude oil is hovering around record-breaking peaks after unrest in Iraq halted production

to me that line says it all, the prices aren't climbing because there is no more oil in the ground, they're climbing because they stopped pumping it from the ground.
the oil will be there tommorrow, next week, or whenever they crank up the pumps again. And I stand by my statement that when Bush puts away his big boy toys and goes home, things will cease to as big a deal.

MagSeal said:
to me that line says it all, the prices aren't climbing because there is no more oil in the ground, they're climbing because they stopped pumping it from the ground.
the oil will be there tommorrow, next week, or whenever they crank up the pumps again.

Sure MagSeal

Meawhile just keep reading some more news :)

The International Energy Agency has revised upwards its estimate of world oil demand, quashing hopes of an imminent decline in oil prices.
The IEA said in its monthly oil market report that demand for oil was running at 82.2 million barrels a day, 750,000 more than previously thought.

The upwards revision means that daily demand has grown by a record 2.5 million barrels a day this year.

BBC News 2004 August 11 - World oil demand estimate raised

a pilot who's helicopter guzzles 27gals/hr of fuel? Maybe a jet pilot who's jet is thirsty enough to drain swimming pool sized fuel tanks every trip???

Maybe you need to quit your job and save the precious fuel resources for my SUV. One days worth of fuel for your aircraft could keep me going for weeks, even months.

well, I had to think about that for awhile. Quite frankly it doesn't seem like a reality that you, nor all the sheep in this industry would follow that route. Hypothetically speaking though, should no other helicopter or aircraft ever grace the skies again for lack of fuel, I would probably excercise one of the many options that my high school guidance class had offered me. Aviation maintenance was at the top of the list, and many more equally intersting occupations followed.
I would like to however continue with my design of a nuclear powered helicopter. It has many benifits, such as no preheating, no external lighting required, and best of all, fuelling only takes place once a year with a big chunk of plutonium. Unfortuantely, I was branded a terrorist (more places than just here, go figure) and the US Government confiscated my stash of low grade uranium, and prototype engines. They called them bombs...I called them the future of aviation. :blink:
If all of this fails, thousands of other engineers and pilots have shown that there is life after aviation, and I might just have to move on the maintaining the SUV market, since there will be so many more out there with that extra surplus of fuels now available.

MagSeal said:
well, I had to think about that for awhile.

Definitely I think you should :D

TIP OF THE DAY

US light crude closed trading up $1.08 at a new 21 year high of $46.58, after touching $46.65. Brent crude in London also hit a record of $43.88, up $1.59.

Analysts have warned that oil may rise further, even reaching $50 a barrel.

BBC News - 2004 Aug 13 - Crude oil prices jump to new high

Could it be because it was Friday 13 ? :p

OK...I took your advice and decided to think about this some more. It wasn't easy, but I came up with a novel idea.
We will take every gas guzzling V8, complete an engine swap into a more fuel efficient 4 cylinder, possibly desiel, and we will strap on a bunch of out of work aviators who are pedalling converted bicycles. Their main purpose is only passing and towing power, therefore they won't need to have alot of stamina (much like they are now)
This way, everyone can feel safe inside their far superior crashworthy SUV's and still watch the smaller cars cringe as you creep up onto their bumpers, (which is why we buy them in the first place), while maintaining some fuel economy to keep the eco terrorists happy.
Oh the fun that can be enjoyed watching 70 year olds have seizures when all they see is your bumper and licence plate in their rearview mirror.
As of today, I have contacted Volkwagon, and have placed 1.2 million deisel engines on order, and am currently looking for a few good able bodied engineers and pilots who would like to start a new career in this new automotive industry. It will be non-unionized work (buzz off mr hargrove), but associations are welcome.

I know it's not a perfect idea, but it's a step in the right direction.... right???

Back