Private Pilot's Licence before college

gglock08

Aug 23, 2006

Private's Pilot's Licence before college?

Hi everyone. I am a Junior in High School and am going to college in 2 years (I am planning on attending Embry-Riddle hopefully). I believe the estimate cost for the college is 35k and then another 10k if you want to be a pilot to cover i guess training/flying costs.

I was wondering if it would cost less if you already had your private pilot's licence before you entered college. I really want to learn to fly NOW and I don't want to wait. To convince my parent's, i'd like to show them how learning to fly now can save me money in college.

Does anyone know if that's true and how much it would save me?

Also, does anyone know of any flight schools on Long Island (I live near Mac Arthur Airport in Islip) that are either affordable or offer a discount to Civil Air Patrol members?

Thanks everyone!

-George

Private's Pilot's Licence before college?

Hi everyone. I am a Junior in High School and am going to college in 2 years (I am planning on attending Embry-Riddle hopefully). I believe the estimate cost for the college is 35k and then another 10k if you want to be a pilot to cover i guess training/flying costs.

I was wondering if it would cost less if you already had your private pilot's licence before you entered college. I really want to learn to fly NOW and I don't want to wait. To convince my parent's, i'd like to show them how learning to fly now can save me money in college.

Does anyone know if that's true and how much it would save me?

Also, does anyone know of any flight schools on Long Island (I live near Mac Arthur Airport in Islip) that are either affordable or offer a discount to Civil Air Patrol members?

Thanks everyone!

-George

Hey dude
Im 17 and have my instrumental. I mean i want to go to embry riddle two. I'm a senior and im about to start to apply to college. Getting your private or even instrumental before college is a great idea. I'm working on my commercial right now but i cant get it legaly till I am 18 =[. Your private, after everything, is going to cost about $6,000. the idea of getting your private in 40 hours is not very common, unless you did what i did and played my ass off of Flight Simulator and went to my first lesson and basicaly was told what to do and i did it (flairs were hard though) =] and then you can get it in 40-ish ~42 =)~.

The road i'm looking to take is this, and tell me what you think and it may be a good guide: i want my instructors before i go to college, so that i can instruct during college to gain hours, and have an ok paying job. that way you can go to a diffrent college (the choice is open).

There are so many possibilities with it. so many diffrent roads that you can take. most, except the army, will cost you less. If you do it now, your going to get a head start on it, so then you can start building your hours alot sooner so that you can get into a dinky ass airline right out of college. I mean i think that getting it before college is the best thing to do i am really convinced on that.

Good luck! :up:

btw. i live in manhattan hit up my aim if u wanna talk: parothead314
ill fly out there and take you up one day B)

I believe that it is a good idea to get your private before you go to college in most cases. I just would give a warning that be prepared for the instruction when you get to college to be much different. The place where I got my private was a lot more laid-back. When I got to college, the flight training was more professional, rigid, and less personal. It was quite a "culture shock". Just be prepared for that.

Latest posts