Where to start?

SpecialCake

Jun 2, 2008
Hi,
I registered here just to post this question.
I have been into aviation since I was about 7 - flying has ALWAYS been all I've ever really wanted to do.
I Learned when investigating options for getting my private pilot's license that it is VERY expensive. So my question is - How do people get to the point of being professional pilots? Do you have to fund your own training up until the point of getting a commercial rating before you can be hired? Is there any alternative to ponying up so much money?
The kind of expenditure of even getting a commercial rating is far out of my reach. Hell, even getting my private pilot's license is not going to be easy financially. Aside from joining the Air Force, is there any better way than self-funding?
I had a friend in Miami who is going through a 4-year college course wherein you get your different ratings throughout completing the degree. I would imagine if it were in such a format, it would be a lot easier to get extraneous funding (grants, scholarships, federal funding, etc.) to get into aviation. But how to find any such programs near me is a mystery to me.
Can anyone help me out? I am determined that I will get my life together and make this a reality.

Thanks in advance,
-Keith

If you don't become a military pilot, there is little other opportunity to learn to fly outside of finding your own funds to pay for it. You touched on what sounds like the best possibility to get help doing this, and that's by taking college level courses that include flying and looking for scholarships and grants. My guess is that these would be very difficult to obtain and HIGHLY competitive. Even becoming a military pilot is very highly competitive.

If you are physically qualified to be a military pilot, i.e. in excellent health with 20/20 uncorrected vision, you may consider this (although there's no guarantee that even this will work) ---

After high school, join a nearby Air National Guard or Air Force Reserve unit. Go to college and do your weekend warrior duties during your college years. The added income is nice, and there may be tuition assistance available to you. Once you have a 4 year degree, let your Guard/Reserve unit know that you would like to become and officer and go to flight school. Since you will have been already in the unit (assuming you've done a good job for them,) you will likely be given preference for a pilot training slot specifically designated for that unit. They send you off to Air Force pilot training for about a year and a half, and you come back to your home unit as a fully qualified military pilot. You again resume your weekend warrior status, but flying your unit's aircraft. The FAA has just handed you a commercial/instrument/multi ticket (after a short written test on FARs), and you can then pursue your civilian career as you like.

Another possibility is ROTC scholarships to colleges that offer aviation courses. Back in my day (3 decades ago), the Air Force paid for the flying that the students did as part of their college curriculum. I don;t know if they still do that. Times have changed drastically, but it may be worth looking into.

Hi
nycbusdriver you have given us a good information that will help us in making our future.