Private Pilots License

Status
Not open for further replies.

Airman

Sep 5, 2008
Hi Group,

First post here, been into aviation for as long as I can remember and now looking at taking the big plunge and getting my Privates!

I actually took a ground school course several years ago in college and was too the point I could of passed, but didn't take the real test. I'm hoping I can pick up the ground school stuff a little faster this time around.

My question is. I have the 9th Edition of Gleim's Private Pilot FAA Written Exam book and was going to use that to study, unless they have a newer addition out with new question/answers that changed on the FAA Test, can anyone give me some information on this?

Also, I plan on learning this on my own, minus some help from a friend pilot/instructor, is there a web site or programs to buy that may speed me up on being able to take my ground test?

My plan is to get the ground test passed and out of the way before I really hit the flying part, does this seem like a resonable plan for all the pilots that have done this?

Thanks for any help,
Airman

Well, you're off to a great start. You already took ground school, so your second round will go by a lot easier (save for a few new topics, like WAAS, GPS, and ADS-B ). And, you're taking ground school before your flying portion. You'll be saving a lot of money that way. You get your written out of the way, and the flying portion will go by a lot quicker.

Hi Group,

Also, I plan on learning this on my own, minus some help from a friend pilot/instructor, is there a web site or programs to buy that may speed me up on being able to take my ground test?

Thanks for any help,
Airman

I highly recommend King's DVD Private Pilot test Course. In two weeks you will be ready. I used it last year and passed with no problems. I also would suggest flying at least three times a week with the same instructor. Do not use deferent instructors. The minute you feel that you are not getting anything out of your instructor fire him immediately. Do not let them milk you towards the end.

I got my license earlier this year, thus far its been an absolute blast

Best of luck.

Hi Group,

First post here, been into aviation for as long as I can remember and now looking at taking the big plunge and getting my Privates!

I actually took a ground school course several years ago in college and was too the point I could of passed, but didn't take the real test. I'm hoping I can pick up the ground school stuff a little faster this time around.

My question is. I have the 9th Edition of Gleim's Private Pilot FAA Written Exam book and was going to use that to study, unless they have a newer addition out with new question/answers that changed on the FAA Test, can anyone give me some information on this?

Also, I plan on learning this on my own, minus some help from a friend pilot/instructor, is there a web site or programs to buy that may speed me up on being ae making ble to take my ground test?

My plan is to get the ground test passed and out of the way before I really hit the flying part, does this seem like a resonable plan for all the pilots that have done this?

Thanks for any help,
Airman

Wise move :up:
You will be making 20-30K in no time :lol:
And if your craft needs 'a fixin' PTO will craft U some parts... :p

B) xUT

I'd also recommend that you look at the video series that Sporty's puts out. I used that for my private and the King series for my Instrument rating. Sporty's stuff is more polished in it's presentation. The King series does a little better job with the technical presentation but the presenters can be down right cheesy in their presentation.

I also second the fact that you need to get up a couple of times a week and to fire your instructor immediately if you don't feel you are getting enough out of the lessons. Make sure you get one who spends some time before hand going over the lesson you are about to fly. You'll have to pay extra for his time on the ground but it's worth it not to have to repeat something over in the airplane because you didn't get it the first time.

There are also some good books on learning to fly, check out "Your Pilot's License" and the classic "Stick and Rudder", there is also the FAA's Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge - which you can down load in PDF format from the FAA web site.

Good luck and get to it, there's nothing else like it.

Sounds like you have a good plan there, Airman. I second the recommendations here for further reading and the video series sounds like a great idea (although I haven't seen that one personally). Good luck to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back